Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I order the official Winter Tire package or ...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, first off, while I am sure this topic has been covered before, I was having a hard time finding any threads that apply to my case. If there is one, I'd be more than happy to follow any links to other TMC forums about this topic.

Now that that is out of the way ...

TL;DR
The package in the Tesla Shop for CAD $2700 includes:
  • 4x 18X8.5J Aero wheels
  • 4x 235/45/18 - PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO™ tires
  • 4x tire pressure sensors (BLE or Conti depending on compatibility)
My Issues/Questions:
  • A similar package (without the sensors) at Tirerack(dot)com could be as much as 50% lower
  • I'd like to choose a better tire for my purposes than the SOTTOZERO
  • Do I have to (and can I) order the pressure sensors separately?
  • How difficult is it to find a non-Tesla tire service centre who'd be capable of installing them with the sensors?
  • Has anyone tried the next-closes tire/wheel size (225/45R18 at 1.1% smaller according to a tire size calculator)
More background:
Okay, so I was looking at Tirerack, and based on the information I've gathered, I should be able to order compatible 18" wheels for my LR3AWD, plus Michelin X-Ice Snow tires (apparently among the best rated) for a combined price that's a few hundred bucks lower, and then I'd end up with my own preferences. My biggest worry is regarding the sensors; I also wonder if I should just order tires that fit on my existing wheels instead, for even more savings. Meanwhile, I live about 400km from the nearest Tesla service centre, so if I go my own way I'd probably use someone local to swap these babies out. BUT ... if I need the sensors installed, can someone local likely do it?

Any advice would be happily received (even if it's just a link to another thread). Thanks in advance!

-Mike

For my winter setup I ordered a set of 4x 18X8.5J Aero wheels and the tire pressure sensors from Tesla. From Tirerack I bought the Michelin X-Ice Snow tires. Installation was done at a local tire store - just made sure they could jack my LR3AWD safely.
Result: cost less then the Tesla package, got better tires, still get the efficiency benefit of the Aero wheels, can do the seasonal change myself - don't have to pay for remounting the tires every 6 months.
I just put the winter wheels on for my M3's third winter. The combination is great for traction and efficiency.

I simply replaced my OEM tires immediately on my LR AWD with Michelin CrossClimate+ and leave them on year around. I've driven in 1-1/2 foot deep snow with no problems, and they're quiet and have great summer traction and wet braking. No need to buy extra wheels and swap them out twice a year.

Reactions: I<3URANUS
My Issues/Questions:
  • A similar package (without the sensors) at Tirerack(dot)com could be as much as 50% lower
  • I'd like to choose a better tire for my purposes than the SOTTOZERO
  • Do I have to (and can I) order the pressure sensors separately?
  • How difficult is it to find a non-Tesla tire service centre who'd be capable of installing them with the sensors?
  • Has anyone tried the next-closes tire/wheel size (225/45R18 at 1.1% smaller according to a tire size calculator)
More background:
Okay, so I was looking at Tirerack, and based on the information I've gathered, I should be able to order compatible 18" wheels for my LR3AWD, plus Michelin X-Ice Snow tires (apparently among the best rated) for a combined price that's a few hundred bucks lower, and then I'd end up with my own preferences. My biggest worry is regarding the sensors; I also wonder if I should just order tires that fit on my existing wheels instead, for even more savings. Meanwhile, I live about 400km from the nearest Tesla service centre, so if I go my own way I'd probably use someone local to swap these babies out. BUT ... if I need the sensors installed, can someone local likely do it?

Any advice would be happily received (even if it's just a link to another thread). Thanks in advance!

-Mike
1. yes, could be much lower
2. depends on your definition of better
3. wheels and sensors are independent, you can choose to forego sensors if you want
4. there is nothing specific or unique about sensors that require tesla; compatible sensors are automatically picked up by the car

I simply replaced my OEM tires immediately on my LR AWD with Michelin CrossClimate+ and leave them on year around. I've driven in 1-1/2 foot deep snow with no problems, and they're quiet and have great summer traction and wet braking. No need to buy extra wheels and swap them out twice a year.
your winter is not his winter is not my winter.
sottozero is not appropriate for my winter.
crossclimate+ is not appropriate for my winter.
moreover, crossclimate+ is not appropriate for my SUMMER, or anyone else who seeks higher performance in warm weather.

I just went thru this.
Tire Rack for Alutec Monstr (sic) wheels in stock size (18X8.5, correct offset and bolt up WITHOUT a centering ring; only other option from Tire Rack that does that is MSW of which I am leery; the Alutecs made in Poland, NOT China.) Add in Vredestein Wintracs in stock size (why smaller? Don't they have pot holes where you are? I considered 225/50's for even better pot hole tolerance and better deep snow, but they are made in Hungary factory; I'll stick with Holland). These are the highest rated tires of ANY type that CR has ever tested and are way less squishy/squirrely than the X-Ice, not to mention way better at braking/steering etc on a dry road. I can certify that and very quiet, nice ride. I am looking forward to killer performance on snow.
I didn't bother with sensors since I'm used to checking pressures and can readily tell when I have a flat. Might add when get new set.
Any decent mech can mount the wheels or rotate the wheels on these cars, tho you want to make sure they have done a Tesla and use appropriate pads (I bought some and recommend it!) for the lift. I paid $50 for the first time because I wanted to be in the shop and make sure they removed the superfluous bolts on the hubs (I THINK these are only on the P model).
All in $1550, state of the art.

• Informative
Reactions: NoBoZo and KenC
Thanks for all the feedback everybody, there's some excellent stuff in here, and a few that made me chuckle.

For my winter setup I ordered a set of 4x 18X8.5J Aero wheels and the tire pressure sensors from Tesla. From Tirerack I bought the Michelin X-Ice Snow tires. Installation was done at a local tire store - just made sure they could jack my LR3AWD safely.
This seems like the most attractive angle out of the bunch, I'll chew on it a little more before committing.

I simply replaced my OEM tires immediately on my LR AWD with Michelin CrossClimate+ and leave them on year around.
I gotta be honest, this is tempting. My biggest beef is that we hit +40C ambient summertime temps regularly in my neck of the woods, I'm pretty sure I'd be leaving a fair bit, then when January -40C rolls around, I'd have nothing left to stick to the ice with.

Why not consider the easiest thing, having TIreRack mount and balance the snow tires on rims, with the sensors, so, all you do is swap the wheels.
I was sorta leaning this way originally, but looking at MJB-CO's comment made me reconsider.

Ooooor, and hear me out, move where you don't have to worry about winter tires at all? :D
You know, while I know this was mostly in jest, the reality is I am honestly wondering this myself. I mean, we get -40C (plus wind) in January, and we get +40C (plus wind) in July here. Not to mention random dumps of snow followed by chinook melts (I live in southern Alberta). If my job wasn't so solid, I'd have to consider moving ....... to Costa Rica. ;)

1. yes, could be much lower
2. depends on your definition of better
3. wheels and sensors are independent, you can choose to forego sensors if you want
4. there is nothing specific or unique about sensors that require tesla; compatible sensors are automatically picked up by the car

your winter is not his winter is not my winter.
sottozero is not appropriate for my winter.
crossclimate+ is not appropriate for my winter.
moreover, crossclimate+ is not appropriate for my SUMMER, or anyone else who seeks higher performance in warm weather.
Everything you say is on point. I think I'll go with sensors, and I may not bother with the Tesla specific ones, depending on their price. As to the tires, it's true, as I am sure you can gather from my comments about weather above. Year-round winter tires is a no-go for me; as a work-around, I've always gone with the stickiest all-seasons I could find on my previous vehicles. For the Tesla, I've been using the OEM all-seasons that come on the Canadian version, and they only have 25k on them so far. They're not bad, but ... not great on slush or "pebbled' ice (like a curling rink).

I just went thru this.
Tire Rack for Alutec Monstr (sic) wheels in stock size (18X8.5, correct offset and bolt up WITHOUT a centering ring; only other option from Tire Rack that does that is MSW of which I am leery; the Alutecs made in Poland, NOT China.) Add in Vredestein Wintracs in stock size (why smaller? Don't they have pot holes where you are? I considered 225/50's for even better pot hole tolerance and better deep snow, but they are made in Hungary factory; I'll stick with Holland). These are the highest rated tires of ANY type that CR has ever tested and are way less squishy/squirrely than the X-Ice, not to mention way better at braking/steering etc on a dry road. I can certify that and very quiet, nice ride. I am looking forward to killer performance on snow.
I didn't bother with sensors since I'm used to checking pressures and can readily tell when I have a flat. Might add when get new set.
Any decent mech can mount the wheels or rotate the wheels on these cars, tho you want to make sure they have done a Tesla and use appropriate pads (I bought some and recommend it!) for the lift. I paid $50 for the first time because I wanted to be in the shop and make sure they removed the superfluous bolts on the hubs (I THINK these are only on the P model).
All in $1550, state of the art.
I didn't fully grasp everything in your comment, but I don't have time to pick on specific things right now (the rest of my post took too long); I'll have to come back. I don't know what you mean by MSW, for example.

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

In Medicine Hat I would think that you definitely would want dedicated winter tires. The only places in Canada where I would even consider risking a winter without them is the lower mainland of B.C., parts of southern Ontario, and parts of Nova Scotia. And even then, I personally would not do it. I have drive cars in winter with 'all-seasons' in all three of those places and not enjoyed it on the bad days. There are a lot of excellent winter tires available now - they don't have to be noisy, inefficient and have poor handling anymore.

Much better solution IMO (and what I did) was to put your choice of winter tires on your original 18" aero wheels w tpms, and then when summer rolls around, buy Tesla's summer tire/wheel package. The Michelin Pilots it comes with are nice tires, and you get another set of lightweight factory wheels and tpms sensors for a decent price.

I even had Tesla do the brake caliper service when they were installing the summer tires, just to kill two birds with one stone.

You know, while I know this was mostly in jest, the reality is I am honestly wondering this myself. I mean, we get -40C (plus wind) in January, and we get +40C (plus wind) in July here. Not to mention random dumps of snow followed by chinook melts (I live in southern Alberta). If my job wasn't so solid, I'd have to consider moving ....... to Costa Rica. ;)

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

That sounds awful my man. I couldn't do it.