Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I pay for warranty repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my 2020 Model X (December 2019 delivery) in for the shudder problem. 4655 miles. The service center admits it's there, but refuses to repair it. I asked for a quote to PAY for the repair, and it came back at $1569, but the quote came with the note "we can't guarantee the vibration will go away as it is a characteristic of the vehicle." I'm actually considering paying for the repair anyway. Thoughts?

Reactions: BenP
Wow, that's crazy the shudder still exists in Dec 2019 Model X.

I got mine repaired Nov 2019, and it completely went away. I have put 10k miles on it since then, but now i'm afraid it's going to come back. I think it's worth the fix, but you might want to try a different Service Center. They repaired mine under warranty, no questions asked.

I would go to another SC. Yes It’s clearly a design flaw and they know about it, but they have to fix it under warranty. Or wait till there is a real guaranteed fix tho.
I'm near Portland, Oregon and the next service center is 180 miles in Seattle. Not ideal for me. And I have a feeling that if this design flaw hasn't been fixed yet, it may never be. It seems to me that when I picked up my X they should have warned me to keep the suspension set to Low instead of Standard.

They have fixed mine (pre-raven) twice (so far). The second time, they immediately escalated to Engineering, and spent more than a full week looking at it (loaner provided). This included mounting a GoPro camera under the vehicle and performing many test drives. I would love to have been copied on the entire dialog w engineering, but at the end of the day, the parts they replaced were the same as the first attempt (half shafts and clevis motor mount). But the second repair is vastly better than the first. Six months in, and still smooth as glass.

I am guessing they don’t want to fix it, because they have little confidence the repair will actually fix it. I think I’d wait until a more permanent solution (for raven) becomes known. In the meantime, drive in Low mode, and try to not get terribly annoyed.

Reactions: 5JMJ
My service centre said they won't do it now as they are still working on a permanent fix for the problem, it was noted in my account and would be fixed outside of warranty if that's when fix is released.

Did SC give you any other alternatives? I'd escalate if that's only solution, this is a design flaw which should have been fixed in Raven revision. Im a fan and shareholder but the company should be held accountable.

I took my 2020 Model X (December 2019 delivery) in for the shudder problem. 4655 miles. The service center admits it's there, but refuses to repair it. I asked for a quote to PAY for the repair, and it came back at $1569, but the quote came with the note "we can't guarantee the vibration will go away as it is a characteristic of the vehicle." I'm actually considering paying for the repair anyway. Thoughts?

There is a good reason to force Tesla to replace it under warranty over and over.

That is the only thing that will motivate them to come up with a permanent fix.
I think there are enough people with this problem to properly motivate Tesla. Continuously asking your service center to replace parts known to be faulty will not get you better service. If the OP wants to pay out of his own pocket for a likely temporary fix, that is their prerogative. I personally wouldn't do it at this time.

It's clear, Tesla's "warranty" has become BS. They try to get away with not repairing anything anymore. I even had a case where my SC was working on my car around fall 2018, had it for 1 month trying to figure out what the problem is (vibration with the car at high speeds)...I have an email from the SC Manager stating they see the problem, and they've replaced X, Y , Z, but the problem is still existent, however due to winter road conditions they asked me to take the car back as is and bring it back in Spring.

In Spring I took it back...and I got the response "Car drives fine under legal speed limits, we won't warranty anything above it"....despite the email that states "Yes there's an issue with it"

On the shudder issue, I've been getting the run around for over a year now, and my car warranty is about to run out...I'll probably get a "Oh warrantees over too bad" by the time a permanent fix is in.

It's clear, Tesla's "warranty" has become BS. They try to get away with not repairing anything anymore. I even had a case where my SC was working on my car around fall 2018, had it for 1 month trying to figure out what the problem is (vibration with the car at high speeds)...I have an email from the SC Manager stating they see the problem, and they've replaced X, Y , Z, but the problem is still existent, however due to winter road conditions they asked me to take the car back as is and bring it back in Spring.

In Spring I took it back...and I got the response "Car drives fine under legal speed limits, we won't warranty anything above it"....despite the email that states "Yes there's an issue with it"

On the shudder issue, I've been getting the run around for over a year now, and my car warranty is about to run out...I'll probably get a "Oh warrantees over too bad" by the time a permanent fix is in.

If yours is a 2018, they have a documented shudder fix for them, different than the Ravens. They've fixed my 2018 twice.

Reactions: VikH
wait a couple months and go back, stating it's getting worse, keep doing it until it's fixed. all the visits will be logged and eventually they will do it. don't pay for it, it's an issue that has been remedied for free. there are service bulletins addressing it.

My fear is that since they're calling the shaking "a characteristic of the vehicle" they may never fix it. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

I have tried this over here in Sweden. My MX Raven is almost impossible to drive, and to tow a even light trailer is totaly not possible.
Everyone who says that put it in low and deal with it has not yet had the problem escaladed to the point where my car now sits. Mine started as yours as vibrations only under acceleration, then the vibrations increased with time and now it rattles and shakes violently no matter how slow I accelerate.

If I do 0-60 i one minute it will shake the whole time, and once up in 60 the car has started to make a loud pulsating noise that makes me feel like my head is going to explode.
My kids and wife can not ride in the car, I have to have my Apple Air pods with noise cancel in my ears all the time when driving.

I have changed to a new set of tires and have them balanced twice.

Service Center says that they will not repair the car, and that engineers are working on a fix. This was a couple of months ago, and my car is useless. SC have not said sh!t since my visit to them.

This is the worst car I have ever driven or owned. It can not be returned to Tesla, and it can not be sold because NO ONE will ever buy my car with this problem that Tesla wont fix.

I will never in my life own a Tesla again. I will never in my life recommend any one to buy a Tesla. It is by far the worst handling of a warranty I have ever wittenessed.

I have tried this over here in Sweden. My MX Raven is almost impossible to drive, and to tow a even light trailer is totaly not possible.
Everyone who says that put it in low and deal with it has not yet had the problem escaladed to the point where my car now sits. Mine started as yours as vibrations only under acceleration, then the vibrations increased with time and now it rattles and shakes violently no matter how slow I accelerate.

If I do 0-60 i one minute it will shake the whole time, and once up in 60 the car has started to make a loud pulsating noise that makes me feel like my head is going to explode.
My kids and wife can not ride in the car, I have to have my Apple Air pods with noise cancel in my ears all the time when driving.

I have changed to a new set of tires and have them balanced twice.

Service Center says that they will not repair the car, and that engineers are working on a fix. This was a couple of months ago, and my car is useless. SC have not said sh!t since my visit to them.

This is the worst car I have ever driven or owned. It can not be returned to Tesla, and it can not be sold because NO ONE will ever buy my car with this problem that Tesla wont fix.

I will never in my life own a Tesla again. I will never in my life recommend any one to buy a Tesla. It is by far the worst handling of a warranty I have ever wittenessed.
Have you considered, as I have, paying for the repair yourself? Will they give you a price for the repair?