Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I perform the Yearly Service early?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read a lot on the subject but I don't really have a good idea of what I should do so I'm reaching out to the forum for some advice.

I've only had my S 85D for 3 months. In that 3 months I've racked up 12,900 miles.

I love my car and have done a lot of driving including 2 long trips (1 to SF and back and another to Clovis NM and back). I've also racked up 3 warranty service visit for delivery related items to replacing a camera due to Auto Pilot errors.

I talked to my local service center and they tell me that the yearly service is optional and will not affect warranty coverage. They recommend 12,500 miles or 1 year which ever comes first, but they do not enforce it. Now before it's suggested I have been rotating the tires every 6,000 miles using my local tire shop.
The yearly service now costs $600 so the cost is a factor if I have to perform it every 3-6 months.

Should I go ahead and perform the yearly/ 12,500 mile service early at 3 months? or should I wait until the 6 month or yearly mark?

OP, in addition to tire rotation which you're doing, consider brake flushes recommended per the Owner's Manual every 2 years or 25K miles should you exceed that mileage before your first year is up. As a heads-up, battery coolant is also stated in the manual as every 5 years or 62.5K miles (p127) ...otherwise, annual service seems to be the way to go with everything I've read.

The service center did mention that as long as I stay on the yearly service interval the cost for each visit is $600. If the first service is skipped all together, the cost of the brake flush and coolant check can increase the cost another $300. For a total of $900

I'm also a high mileage driver. I've had my S since May and have 22k on it. It spent a month at the body shop after some guy hit it in a parking lot, or it would be at 25k already.

I plan on taking it in every 25k. The year 1/12.5k service didn't seem to have anything too important in my opinion.

I have a D model and haven't rotated the tires either. Tread was all even when i had the snow tires swapped on earlier this month.

One consideration for high milers is if one has purchased the 4 year/50,000 mile service plan.

The service center tells me once you reach 50,000 the maintenance plan expires, even if it's only been a year or two since buying the car.

Kind of wish I'd figured that out before buying the 4 year plan.

BTW, I bought the plan because I didn't think I'd drive 12,500 a year. Should of known better. Now that I've got the car I find myself looking for reasons to drive it. :)

Do we have confirmation from others that had purchased the 4 year/50,000 mile service plan that it will indeed expire at 50,000? I was not told this (I didn't specifically asked neither) as I only took it twice (at 13,000 after 6 mo and 38,000 one year later).