Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

should I prepare and buy snow chain for model3 SR+ rwd heavy snow drive in GTA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
last winter I have nokian hakkapeliitta r3 snow tires on. I took my model 3 rwd out driving around 6-7 inch of heavy snow on the street and got stucked at a interaction while turning left. It was quite embarassing and frightening moment as many cars were waiting behind me. I have to enable slip start and manuver the car back and forth abit to get back to normal traction. I think traction control is just too sensitive for rwd tesla on heavy snow and slow down the car for safety.

I am trying to find ways to improve winter driving for upcoming heavy snow winter. Do you think getting a snow chain will help alot? anyone try the one from tesla store?
Model 3 Snow Chain - 18" Pewag Sport RSS 76

what are the pros and cons of getting snow chain for GTA heavy snow driving?

last winter I have nokian hakkapeliitta r3 snow tires on. I took my model 3 rwd out driving around 6-7 inch of heavy snow on the street and got stucked at a interaction while turning left. It was quite embarassing and frightening moment as many cars were waiting behind me. I have to enable slip start and manuver the car back and forth abit to get back to normal traction. I think traction control is just too sensitive for rwd tesla on heavy snow and slow down the car for safety.

I am trying to find ways to improve winter driving for upcoming heavy snow winter. Do you think getting a snow chain will help alot? anyone try the one from tesla store?

If I were that concerned I would get studded tires!
Chains are a pain in the ass and have a limited speed you can go, so usually you only have them on for specific locations where they’re needed like driving on steep roads in snowy or icy conditions. If the snow is too deep and you are bottoming out it won’t matter if you have chains anyways. I have chains for all my vehicles and in the last ten years only needed them twice. One of those times I forgot to bring them..
Generally speaking I would not (And have never) used them in the city.

Reactions: Vawlkus

I've had similar experiences as you.

I'm not discounting others who say there are no issues, but in my experience it can be dicey.... I've found it helpful to change the stopping mode to creep when in snow. Creep mode and slip start has got me out of most situations - but in heavy wet sticky snow in heavy stop and go traffic on a slight incline can be a recipie for disaster in a RWD Model 3.

The problem with trying to drive in 6-7 inches of heavy wet snow is that the Model 3 only has 5.5 inches of ground clearance. In deeper snow, you're essentially snowboarding on the bottom of the battery, and the wheels lose contact with the ground. No amount of studs and chains will help this situation. Don't drive into 7 inch-deep heavy snow. Or get a Model Y with more ground clearance if you insist on doing this.

And then there is the fact that heavy snow doesn't occur that often in the GTA. And when it does most streets are cleared pretty quickly. I have had a Model S, albeit AWD, since Jan 2015 and have not had issues in the snow. I do have snow tires that I bought from Tesla at the time I purchased my car. I think they are Pirellis.