Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I really buy Model S????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
With all the horror stories going around lately (about the manufacturing issues), it makes me wonder should I really go ahead with my 110k purchase?
What do you guys suggest? Should I just wait for maybe 6months until they improve build quality?

Suggestions are really appreciated!!!

Hi All,
With all the horror stories going around lately (about the manufacturing issues), it makes me wonder should I really go ahead with my 110k purchase?
What do you guys suggest? Should I just wait for maybe 6months until they improve build quality?

Are you really asking internet strangers on whether or not you should spend 6 figures on something? This is almost as bad as consulting Joe Rogan for medical guidance

Upvote 0
My S has been the best car I've ever owned in terms of fun and satisfaction. It has also been the most unreliable car I've ever owned and has been intentionally crippled with software updates.
Their level of customer service went from being wonderful when I bought it to unacceptable now.

Love the car. Can't stand the company. Won't keep it past the 8 year DU/Battery warranty. Won't be buying another one either.

Reactions: AMPd and skeva
Upvote 0
Hadn't heard about any manufacturing issues. My car was delivered in perfect condition and drives like a quiet dream (and I paid less than $100K for it, so some of your price is due to "extras" you've decided to buy, not the car itself).

Either way, Tesla will fix any problems you find. Quit worrying. Also, you have the right to look over your car before you purchase it, AND REJECT IT if it doesn't satisfy you, but a good service center should deliver it in perfect condition, so express your concerns with your nearest SC before you buy, and they should take care of them.. I've bought several Teslas now, and all were delivered to my satisfaction, so I have wondered if some of the comments here are from somewhat picky people, though I myself am blessed with OCD, and I've loved all of my cars. Soon enough you'll have gravel chips and worse, and can practice using touch up paint to your level of perfection.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't do it again, given the sheer number of issues mine has had. Great concept, not great execution. YMMV.
Sorry to hear of your issues. It sounds like your SC is a mess and shouldn't be delivering cars. My SC does an amazing job of prepping the cars before delivery, and I've never had issues with any of them (I've bought 4 over time). You need to complain, or drive a ways and get to another SC. I have two Tesla dealers. One is 40 miles away, the other is 110 miles away. Considering that this is such an expensive car and that I'm also picky, I ended up driving the longer distance, and got a car that was perfect. Actually, I got two cars now.

And of course, my mileage is not your mileage. (MMINYM)

Reactions: skeva
Upvote 0
Hadn't heard about any manufacturing issues. My car was delivered in perfect condition and drives like a quiet dream (and I paid less than $100K for it, so some of your price is due to "extras" you've decided to buy, not the car itself).

Either way, Tesla will fix any problems you find. Quit worrying. Also, you have the right to look over your car before you purchase it, AND REJECT IT if it doesn't satisfy you, but a good service center should deliver it in perfect condition, so express your concerns with your nearest SC before you buy, and they should take care of them.. I've bought several Teslas now, and all were delivered to my satisfaction, so I have wondered if some of the comments here are from somewhat picky people, though I myself am blessed with OCD, and I've loved all of my cars. Soon enough you'll have gravel chips and worse, and can practice using touch up paint to your level of perfection.

Same here but my Tesla was purchased at a time when service and customer service was near Lexus level. That has changed a lot over the years. They don't even cover body noises any more under warranty. My car was in 6 times the first two years for various squeaks and rattles which were all resolved and did not return. Thankfully, after those first two years, new issues never arose. I have no doubt Tesla spent a huge amount of money on noise related warranty issues which is why they stopped covering noises under warranty.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I bought my 2021 MY Long Range plus in Dec 2020. I have over 12,000 miles and the car has been perfect. I to heard of issues but my experience so far couldn't be better. Good luck

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing the thoughts. These are really helpful.

I think it boils down to the fact that there is nothing out there which can beat Tesla in terms of amazing looks/simplicity/range. The day when there is a competitive car in front of it, that's when Tesla will have to pull up their socks to deliver much better build quality. (The day is not far, probably couple of years until the time runs out for Tesla. They should better fix this until it's too late)

I am going to still go ahead with mine keeping my fingers crossed and in the hopes of getting good customer service.

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing the thoughts. These are really helpful.

I think it boils down to the fact that there is nothing out there which can beat Tesla in terms of amazing looks/simplicity/range. The day when there is a competitive car in front of it, that's when Tesla will have to pull up their socks to deliver much better build quality. (The day is not far, probably couple of years until the time runs out for Tesla. They should better fix this until it's too late)

I am going to still go ahead with mine keeping my fingers crossed and in the hopes of getting good customer service.

That is totally true. Nothing beats Tesla when it comes to price/performance/practicality balance.

Upvote 0

Yeah gonna have to call BS on that, not the first time you’ve said something so outrageously fictitious, obviously you’re a fanboy that much is known around here but you’d have to be a complete you know what to not see all the posts about manufacturing issues.

Also Tesla will not fix all the issues, some issues are regarded by Tesla as within spec. Quit lying.

Reactions: onshi and sorka
Upvote 0
I’d argue that the Taycan comes close if you keep the options on the tame side. Only thing is the network isn’t as robust.

The Taycan (well, the non-Cross Turismo) isn't in the same league of practicality as the S. The interior/trunk space isn't even as good as the Model 3. It drives like a dream, though, but also slow as heck compared to the Plaid (oh how are we spoiled).

Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0
The Taycan (well, the non-Cross Turismo) isn't in the same league of practicality as the S. The interior/trunk space isn't even as good as the Model 3. It drives like a dream, though, but also slow as heck compared to the Plaid (oh how are we spoiled).

Also no long term track record (no pun intended). The battery warranty is only 36K/36months. It also appears they're having massive problems due to defective onboard chargers nuking cells. A whistle blower is claiming that they hide defective cells and quietly add other spare cells that aren't normally counted in the total capacity to hide the fact that previous cells died and have been sequestered.

• Helpful
Upvote 0
Also no long term track record (no pun intended). The battery warranty is only 36K/36months. It also appears they're having massive problems due to defective onboard chargers nuking cells. A whistle blower is claiming that they hide defective cells and quietly add other spare cells that aren't normally counted in the total capacity to hide the fact that previous cells died and have been sequestered.

That’s why you lease German and buy American.

Reactions: sorka
Upvote 0