Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I reject my current delivery (HW3) for HW4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am expected to get delivery of my 2023 Model S in 3 days. I just found out that the car I am getting has HW3 (with USS). I am confused whether to proceed with this or reject this and wait another couple of weeks to get another car with HW4. I am going to be taking enhanced autopilot not fsd.

can anyone please guide me as this would be my first Tesla so I don’t know too much about them?

You would pick a unblemished, fully-ripe apples wouldn’t you? I believe in winter climate USS are much more relevant than camera view, I would select car with the sensors. All new is not yet all good. It’s true that Tesla is eliminating existing usage of them but it would not be long when they realise how important it is in severe climate conditions.

Reactions: aerodyne and MARKM3
I am expected to get delivery of my 2023 Model S in 3 days. I just found out that the car I am getting has HW3 (with USS). I am confused whether to proceed with this or reject this and wait another couple of weeks to get another car with HW4. I am going to be taking enhanced autopilot not fsd.

can anyone please guide me as this would be my first Tesla so I don’t know too much about them?
What makes you think your car won’t have HW4? Is it an inventory car? Tesla started using HW4 in February I believe, so newly produced cars should have it.

Reactions: Propofoln

Take the USS. It’s far more valuable in hand than some idle promises of what TVision will be at some arbitrary future date.

Tesla is notorious for backward tech and regression in many areas while advancing in others. Taking out USS is a miss for Tesla without a compelling replacement. If you are not going for FSD, HW3 or 4 won’t matter.

I have USS on both my 2022 Teslas and they are a welcome feature daily. Parking in garage and tight parking spots is where you will appreciate.

Are you sure it comes with USS though? Did you see sensors on the bumpers?

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel and StevenSD
I have a Model S on order, and I waited until I knew it would have HW4 before pulling the trigger. I wish it had USS too, but I don't want to buy a new Tesla that becomes "legacy" shortly after I get it. There's no upgrade path from HW3 to HW4.
But if one is not getting FSD, then what does HW4 mean really? What we see right now is no USS vs USS.

Legacy can be anything or any permanent changes made along the production timeline could cause a whole new set of ‘legacy’.

New brakes…legacy.
Swivel screen..legacy
New taillights…legacy
🤷🏽‍♂️
USS is one of those features which makes the legacy model more valuable lol

I have a Model S on order, and I waited until I knew it would have HW4 before pulling the trigger. I wish it had USS too, but I don't want to buy a new Tesla that becomes "legacy" shortly after I get it. There's no upgrade path from HW3 to HW4.
Tesla changes very quick. These days its price and tech. Like a phone or a computer. As soon as you buy it, it is old. We're always waiting for the next rumored change, then that change is old when it comes out.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
We have happy Tesla owners that are driving around with a 10+ year old battery and computers. Tesla cars go "legacy" very quickly. Wait for a few months, maybe there will be increased Federal rebates, new options, the new battery coming out next year, or the year after, FSD (yeah, right), As @zoomer0056 points out, if you are waiting for something, you will never buy a Tesla. There will always be the promise of newer, better right around the corner, and some of the changes are not desirable. The price may go up, down, and rebates might go up or down...better wait and see...forever.

In x years you'll have the exact same problem whether you should wait for HW5. Cars evolve. If you want something better you'll find yourself waiting forever. Cars with HW3 are perfectly usable, so I'd say go for it.
Same situation as when I saw people have been getting Galaxy S23 Ultra but my store only has Galaxy S22 Ultra.

We are talking about something that has been available, not things that are not available today like Galaxy S333 Ultra or Telsa HW444!

Reactions: Cheburashka