Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I reject my current delivery (HW3) for HW4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rejected the thought of buying a 2023 so I could have a car with HW3 and functioning USS. Until Tesla has something that works as good as the old USS, or close enough to it to not matter, I'll likely never buy another new Tesla. USS makes a huge difference in the usability of my car every day. HW4 never would for me. AP with HW3 works well enough for my usage.

As a reminder so many features of FSD are gimped now because they know they have nothing as good as USS to help with self parking, summon, etc. so that should tell you what Tesla thinks of the removal of USS. Who knows when those features will ever be enabled for HW4 cars? You can only do so much with SW if you don't have the HW to support it.

I have to assume you didn't read the article. It says 3 cameras are added and some of the cameras have been repositioned
Again, nothing of substance as it's just a rumor. No confirmation outside of reference to the picture we've seen. It's a blog with 0 insider information.

Just like everyone thought the MS/X were getting additional cameras with HW4 based on a picture. Until we see a real car or Tesla says something, it's just people guessing and hoping.

Reactions: ucmndd
Again, nothing of substance as it's just a rumor. No confirmation outside of reference to the picture we've seen. It's a blog with 0 insider information.

Just like everyone thought the MS/X were getting additional cameras with HW4 based on a picture. Until we see a real car or Tesla says something, it's just people guessing and hoping.

I'd suggest reviewing the TMC podcasts from recent weeks. They are of the opinion that in the near future HW4 will have 3 extra cameras (1 in the nose), the fender cameras repositioned (the way they have it now is dumb) and the new radar he just patented. So if you're getting a car with HW4 now I can't see
what improvements you get. They're NOT gonna refrofit new hardware. EM has said it several times.

I'd suggest reviewing the TMC podcasts from recent weeks. They are of the opinion that in the near future HW4 will have 3 extra cameras (1 in the nose), the fender cameras repositioned (the way they have it now is dumb) and the new radar he just patented. So if you're getting a car with HW4 now I can't see
what improvements you get. They're NOT gonna refrofit new hardware. EM has said it several times.
Again, still rumors...all based on the same thing.

Nothing of substance to this point. HW4 itself has a different connection, different bracket, etc...more cameras should come, but we have no confirmation on it.
A few years ago everyone was sure the M3/Y were getting cooled seats (from the manual) and air suspension...Because Tesla doesn't reveal much, people just run with rumors based on small truths.

The fact is the new HW4 has additional camera inputs, but we also know the CT and Semi have additional cameras and Elon said they were using the same computer for all vehicles.

If this guy's claim is right about the auto wipers being fixed in HW4, then having auto wipers that actually work correctly is much more important than park assist.

Multiple people parroting the same nonsense from the same unconfirmed picture and origin tweet citing “familiar sources” is not evidence. It’s just speculation for clicks.

Multiple people parroting the same nonsense from the same unconfirmed picture and origin tweet citing “familiar sources” is not evidence. It’s just speculation for clicks
Once again, it begs the question. What does getting a car with HW4 get you if none of the new features (more cameras, etc) are in the car?
Watch this video (25 minutes)
If you are in a hurry go to the 13:00 mark

Reactions: StevenSD and mm9351
Once again, it begs the question. What does getting a car with HW4 get you if none of the new features (more cameras, etc) are in the car?
Because there’s no indication that the new “features” and cameras will EVER come to the S/X. It’s pure speculation.

There’s always something new around the corner. History tells us with Tesla that “new” is very often NOT better for a significant (sometimes years-long) transition period.

If you want to wait perpetually because something new might be coming, go for it. I’m sure something new will come eventually. 👍🏻

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
The issue is that the version of HW4 that is currently being delivered is functionally worse than what it replaced. It takes away USS and all of the features that require USS including parking and summon. They are currently delivering cars with no cameras or sensors to cover the area in front of the front bumper and there is no way to fix that without adding hardware.

There's as much misinformation here, as other...but knock yourselves out. I'm not going to bother to hit each one...sorry. The intellectually lazy 'why wait there will always be something new' reply is nonsense as not all updates are created equal. I'm planning to wait for HW4 and the new sensor suite, it's proven it's not vaporware like some other garbage examples above, but that's just me. HW4 is in the wild, so are new higher res cameras. Just a matter of time before there are more or repositioned cameras, maybe HD radar, on all existing Tesla models.

Last edited: