Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I replace the tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
made a sharp turn and the right rear hit the curb and has left a crack on the side. Is it something fixable or should I replace both rear tires? The tire has about 9k miles. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3885.JPG
    IMG_3885.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 142
Thanks for replies. Any recommendation for tire shop or should I go with tesla? I live in Bay Area, ca.

If you don't want any damage to the underside of your car, I would go to Tesla.

See:

Check your jack points after service!

yeCURiNIYuTLO0i.jpg

Any competent mechanic who reads Tesla manual can do a good job, but you'd better bring your own jack pad:

tesla_jack_pad_1-jpg.202982

Because their generic lifts and floor jacks don't have 3-prong Tesla compatible jack pad.

I agree, replace the tire. It just isn't worth the risk. There may be deeper damage to the tire that you don't see.

I like the lift block. Do you have the dimensions? I can measure, but easier to ask. Did you think about adding a rubber layer so the car rests on some rubber instead of the wood?

If you don't want any damage to the underside of your car, I would go to Tesla.

See:

Check your jack points after service!

yeCURiNIYuTLO0i.jpg

Because their generic lifts and floor jacks don't have 3-prong Tesla compatible jack pad.

There is no such thing as a "3-Prong Tesla jack pad". Tesla service centers just use generic rotary lifts, same as many tire shops have. They just have a flat pad on the ends of the arms, as you can see here:
Tesla-Service-Center-TeslaClubLA-9-1024x682.jpg

That damage was caused by a mechanic not paying attention, and would have damaged the jack pads on any number of cars that have plastic pads. Regardless its purely superficial and while I'd be pissed at the mechanic, its not going to hurt anything.

There is no such thing as a "3-Prong Tesla jack pad"...

OK! I haven't actually seen a "3-prong" Tesla jack pad. But what visible is rectangular pads as shown by Bob's Youtube

WFZCfF6.png

The problem with generic pads are: Their surface is too large which would cover a flushed jack point as well as the low hanging and protruding main battery pack as shown by Caligula:

ihmctTv.jpg

Reactions: X Fan