TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Should I reserve now

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by nuckles, Aug 3, 2017.

1. nuckles

nuckles Member

I am going to start saving a deposit for a model 3. I have not reserved and am wondering if I should now or just wait?

If delivers are going to be early 2019 and they say they can make 20000 cars a month will there be a long wait for a vehicle?

Maybe if I reserve I could see the vehicle late 2018?? No one really know but what are your thoughts.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I don't the pricing numbers for your area, so it's hard for me to get deep into it. That said, as a starting point -- how long do you think it will take you to save up for the full amount (including taxes, etc.)? (Or are you planning on lease or loan?)

3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

As it currently stands, RHD deliveries aren't scheduled to start until 2019.

However, if I were in your situation, I would reserve now so I'd have my place in line. The longer you wait to reserve, the longer the queue will be and the further back you'd be by the time deliveries start in your locale.

4. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

+1 what Bluestar said. Once deliveries to non-employees start and a few months pass, I think reservations will go through the roof from every current Tesla country. If you wait until 2019, or late 2018 to see the vehicle, well, you'll be waiting until 2021 or 2022 to get it. If you can afford to have that deposit sit, it's a small price to pay assuming you're serious about actually getting the car. Once you *do* see it and/or test drive it, if you don't want to order you can get your deposit back then.

5. nuckles

nuckles Member

Just lock in a reservation. now the waiting game begins.

6. alexeiw123

alexeiw123 Member

There's really no way to know for sure, as we don't know how many Australian reservations there are, but having the reservation guarantees you your place in line when they get to Australia. With production rates once the RHD vehicles begin, it might only be the difference of a few months, but the way I see it is that a reservation is another vote that Australians want EVs.

7. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

If you have paid off the Volt, keep the same amount going into a savings account, and if you have a mortgage ask your bank for an offset savings account to reduce your home loan interest whilst you are waiting.
    If you can afford $100 a week, In 2 years time when the Model 3 arrives you will have a about $10k saved along with about $15k from the sale of the Volt puts you about half way to a basic Model 3.

• Like x 1
  8. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

By the time they start RHD production, which will be about March 2019, they'll be making 10000 a week.

The last estimate I saw - I can't remember the source, may have been someone on here - put the total number of reservation holders in Australia at 7000.

So in theory there is nothing stopping them from sending a single weeks worth of production over to Australia in one go on a single container ship, and clear their entire backlog, along with some stock, demo units, and allowing for reservations between now and then. Every order, from the ones placed on March 2016, to the ones placed March 2019. Standard or long range, RWD or AWD, they'll be making them all by then.

In practice, I don't think the service centres are ready for 10000 cars arriving at once, and they'll want to stagger them - but wouldn't it be cool if Tesla booked out a huge venue somewhere with space for 10000 cars (or at least in each major capital- between 1000 and 3000 cars each) and had big delivery parties!

There are two benefits to reserving now - first, it's another reminder to Tesla of the demand here, specifically the geographic spread. Second, when it comes time to order, that's $1500 you've already paid. By that time you'll have forgotten you've paid it, so it will be like a discount!

• Like x 1
  9. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

It couldn't hurt to reserve now......especially since the deposit can be refunded.