Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I return? Have to decide now 3/27/2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is my last day I can return the MXLRP. I have the following items that I think are pretty significant. Is this just the beginning for me or does it look like a one an done fix? I've never had a new car delivery with a list like this let alone one at this price point:
noted on delivery - scratch on trim above rear passenger door
front driver & passenger windows loud screech while lowering when wet / water doesn't squeegee off
passenger window has several long scratches where it lowers in to track / observed 3/26 when it was raining I first heard screech noise
wind noise heard from front passenger area of car
squeak coming from rear passenger area on acceleration
both FWD appear to rub on trim when closing
FWD weather strip starting to show uneven seal on corners (not present at delivery)

I would return it and hopefully get a new one. I understand it must be very exciting to drive a EV and an MX to boot. but at the same time this is a lot of money to have these problems to begin with. Return it

As I've mentioned previously in other posts I had similar kinds of issues at delivery, immediately post delivery, and in months following.

I kept my car and wouldn't give it back. They've been pretty good about getting things taken care of.

That said my expenerice of quality control, delivery staff, and support staff has not been at the same level as my previous $50-150K German cars. That is the main reason I didn't get a Tesla in 2012 or subsequent years until 2019. I'd like to see a lot of improvement in all areas across the board but it's currently at a level that I can be happy with.

I previously had reservations for the Model S, X, and 3. I ended up canceling them all and just got a Tesla only a few months ago.

Last edited:
Having gone thru 4 tesla, they all need follow up with service to get them where they need to be. The worse is paint, but what you have can all be fixed at service by replacing or adjusting. If you like the car , keep it and work thru service, remember you are the QA person as no tesla are QA after it leaves Fremont.

Or get the Model Y as its less complicated and should have less to go wrong

Ps my 12/2020 Model X has been in the shop for 5 1/2 weeks since delivery getting getting most of the due bill done, still have 2 outstanding.

you are a model customer. you are the kind of customer any business would want. Unfortunately not all have the same time and patience as you, especially when you drop $100K on a new car. But I also understand Tesla is a new company and if we want them to do well and succeed in the future, we have to give them a break and be supportive.

I would return it but only IF and because you are missing the forest for the trees. I have the X and the S with probably half of those items and at least a few more insignificant ones. Just have them correct the big ones and live with imperfections and enjoy while it lasts. Life is too short to be upset at these insignificant things.

Reactions: protoclown
Yes , patience is key. I know its a lot of wasted time to deal with these fix for these expensive cars, but if you want a tesla, i have learned it comes with the territory. And if you dont have the time or patience, need to look elsewhere cuz the cars and support are FAR from perfect

Never had this much engagement with the dealer/service with any of my other cars, so it was unexpected with tesla. And after 4 of them, unfortunately the process is still the same

After all the research that went in to this purchase, I made a pact with myself that if started seeing problems in the first week, I’d utilize the 7 day return. I guess I needed some reassurance considering how much time I put in to it, and ultimately it is disappointing. This is my company car so dependability is a must. I dropped the car off tonight and will return to do paperwork tomorrow .

I still have a Y on order for my wife, so I hope she will have a better experience.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.