TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should I rotate my tires?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jrad6515, Jul 31, 2018.

1. jrad6515

jrad6515 Member

Hi All,

After a long road trip I measured my tread depth at 6,100 miles on the tires:

(outer, center, inner - mm.)

FL 6.3 6.5 6.3
    FR 5.6 5.9 5.6
    RL 6.3 6.3 6.5
    RR 6.3 6.2 6.4

Tire wear seems pretty even to me but I know Tesla recommends rotation every 6K miles or so. I don't live very close to a Tesla service center (closest is about an hour away) and I am leery of non-Tesla shops knowing how to properly jack up the Model S. I live in Fort Worth, TX by the way. Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

2. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I can’t comment on rotating the tires, but I can say that any tire place can jack the car.
    The jack pads are really clear, I’ve jacked it myself and had tires changed at two different non-Tesla tire places. Neither place even blinked before lifting the car.

• Helpful x 1
  3. azred

azred Active Member

#3 azred, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    It’s a good thing for Discount Tire and others in the same business that not many people share your irrational fear. Discount Tire has rotated my S many times and my 6-month old 3 once.But in your case I’d have Tesla do it. That way, you need not worry.

You do realize the Model S has been around for six years?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

I would be leary. Took mine to a Discount Tire and of course got some rim rash from work done. I had to get new tires.

• Informative x 1
  5. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

I mean the reason why I went to discount tire was because I got new tires mounted.

6. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I will be going to Americas tire next week for my tire rotation.

7. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

no. don't waste your time. See my other posts in other rotation threads.

8. bhansen34

bhansen34 Member

Have 2017S 100D. 13,500 miles. Service tech came to house for 1st annual service today.Said was only 1/32 difference in tread depth front vs. rear. Advised not to rotate. Drove car to check alignment. Said that was good too. Also said they no longer change drive axle fluid at 1st service.

• Helpful x 1
  9. USCguy

USCguy New Member

I have used Discount Tire for my Model S. New tires before a 2500 mile trip from CA to OH. Had tires checked by them after arriving. Have been pleased by their service and attention.

• Helpful x 1
  10. RV8R

RV8R Member

What sort of mileage can you expect from stock tires, driving mostly highway?

11. Mobius484

Mobius484 Supporting Member

Depends on many variables, but prob less than you have experienced in past for other cars. Tesla’s are heavy, and super high torque, therefore wear is high. The stock tires wore out pretty quick. I’m at 40k and second set of tires. Then New Michelins are wearing more slowly. I have a winter set I use for nov-March. Road conditions in North rocky mountain area not great for wear, or is it the lack of stop and go traffic and lots of winding fun many roads?....;)

12. Vinc

Vinc Member

With ICE engines front tires tend to wear faster because there is more weight up front, among other things. How does it compare to a MS, with almost 50/50 weight distribution?

My front tires are at above 4/32, but my back ones are already on the markers (during the CPO refresh they only replaced two tires). I would like to ideally wait to change all 4 at the same time, but I am afraid it might be to much for the back ones...