Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I sell my 2016 MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Tesla HiveMind who are smarter and wiser than me, I need guidance

So in Dec of 2018, I was t-boned by a distracted driver and my non-MX car was totaled - I had promised myself that that was the last ICE car I was going to buy and so decided to jump into a Used MX - prob should have researched it a bit better but in the end, found myself in a 2016 MX P90D, 6 seater with 16K on the odometer, MCU1 AP1 for a bit shy of 80K (don't judge me)

Though my purchase experience was iffy - but in the end, Tesla fixed all the issues (incl the shudder), I got it wrapped with the hope that I would drive it for atleast 3-4 years or until the warranty ran out.
BUT over the last 15 months, I have really been frustrated at a few things like the range - driving like a normal person in winter, my range is actually about 150 miles, prob 180-190 in summer and the terrible ride/shocks.
And frankly, the build quality pales in comparison to my previous car so I don't think I will be in it long term,

Now I owe about 50K on the car currently; I reckon I will be through the warranty in about 2.5 years more - owing about 20K at the time; and I think the car would be worth about the same by then (it will be a 6 yr old car by then )
So i'm contemplating selling this car now - either break even/small profit - and turning around and leasing a new LR+ instead for the same monthly payment. But I get a newer car with better range and ride (and newer bells and whistles)

Am I being stupid or missing something?

Reactions: DanCar
...a newer car with better range and ride (and newer bells and whistles)...

Some people might not know why they buy something but you do.

Learning from your lesson, if I want range, I would not choose the lesser range such as 90kWh nor would I pay extra for the range hog Performance.

In conclusion, if you can afford to trade up to what you want, you should.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Some people might not know why they buy something but you do.

Learning from your lesson, if I want range, I would not choose the lesser range such as 90kWh nor would I pay extra for the range hog Performance.

In conclusion, if you can afford to trade up to what you want, you should.

It is interesting what you learn about what you want/need - I don’t even think I used autopilot that much. I don’t know if I would use it more if it were the newer version - would definitely like the better cameras so I can ‘see’ my blind spot in the dash display though.

but it really isn’t a question of affording it - I can. But is it the wiser financial decision. Am I leaving some money on the table somewhere or is sticking with my current situation just throwing good money after bad.

...financial decision...

In my opinion, it is not a good financial decision to buy a high tech item that new features will be added on after you bought it.

It is cheaper to delay buying a high tech item.

In my case, my wait has a limit: I did wait for a Tesla get cheaper from 2008 Roadster all the way until 2012 so I could buy a cheaper Model S.

You just have to find out what is your balance of waiting for the high-priced high tech item to get cheaper.

...so I can ‘see’ my blind spot...

I think $7,000 FSD is quite a bargain for Auto Lane Change. I have enjoyed it very much as it has changed lane much better than I can. I was asking to myself that what it was hesitating for until I realized that it can even spot a speeding car far behind that I didn't notice!

...throwing good money after bad.

That depends on what you want.

You might need to pay more for range at least, better comfort with a new suspension system.

I think a good investment is a dash cam. I would buy one if you keep your old Tesla and if I were you, I would make sure to use the onboard TeslaCam available to AP2.5 and above.

BUT over the last 15 months, I have really been frustrated at a few things like the range - driving like a normal person in winter, my range is actually about 150 miles, prob 180-190 in summer and the terrible ride/shocks.
You did not say what wheels you have. If you have the 22's that's about a 15% hit. Also a big hit for ride quality.

Also have you experimented with various methods to pre-heat the battery before you drive? That could help your range considerably.

I am also not sure we have enough evidence yet of the real range for the LR+ to really know how it performs in these winter conditions too. You might want to wait a bit to see what the real numbers turn out to be in like circumstances.
And frankly, the build quality pales in comparison to my previous car so I don't think I will be in it long term,
Well this still seems to be a crap shoot even with newer cars. I have seen 2020 Model X's that have worse quality than my 2016 in places. Maybe you should get an inventory car which you can see and compare on the spot vs ordering.

You did not say what wheels you have.

Also have you experimented with various methods to pre-heat the battery before you drive?

I am also not sure we have enough evidence yet of the real range for the LR+ to really know how it performs in these winter conditions too. You might want to wait a bit to see what the real numbers turn out to be in like circumstances.

Maybe you should get an inventory car .

Great points about getting an inventory I can actually see rather than ordering.
As for waiting for real world numbers, anything has to be better than my MX

I actually handed my Tesla in to the SC for a few days for them to drive and see if it was abnormal, and it came back as ‘within limits’
I spoke to the 2 people who used my car over that duration - and Tesla’s mileage numbers are based on doing about 50 mph on the highway, with minimal climate control (if any) in 72-80 degrees F. I don’t think I ever drive at 50 on the highway unless flow of traffic dictates it.

and tried pre-heating, range mode, everything to get my range up but to no avail.
And I have 20’ wheels too.
Ride quality has been frustrating for me - my previous car was a Porsche, and you expected a harsher ride for ‘performance’ so I really expected better from a heavier bigger Tesla, but it’s worse.

In my opinion, it is not a good financial decision to buy a high tech item that new features will be added on after you bought it.

It is cheaper to delay buying a high tech item.

I think $7,000 FSD is quite a bargain for Auto Lane Change. I have enjoyed it very much as it has changed lane much better than I can. I was asking to myself that what it was hesitating for until I realized that it can even spot a speeding car far behind that I didn't notice!

I think a good investment is a dash cam. I would buy one if you keep your old Tesla and if I were you, I would make sure to use the onboard TeslaCam available to AP2.5 and above.

The Blind Spot monitoring is actually one of the bells and whistles I’m looking forward - with my daughters car seat, I have a hard time seeing it. Make do by using the reverse camera (always on as default) but like the idea of actually having the car check in on me too.

DashCam and Sentry!!! Damn my stupid AP1 hardware

...The Blind Spot monitoring...

The instrument cluster doesn't display cars on the sides until it's pretty close which is normal for "blind spot" but if you pay $7,000 for FSD, the system can make sure it can Auto Lane Change safely even when there's a speeding car far away that is not in a normal "blind spot" and not displayed on the instrument clusters.

Last edited:
Since the 2016 Model X, significant improvements have been made, and serious price reductions as well.

For $85,000 you can get a 5 seater with flat fold down floor, 5,000 lb. tow package, over 100 mile increase in range with the now standard 100 kWh battery. Your get the amazing adaptable suspension, standard premium interior package, fog lights, newer generation seats, improved air conditioning, V3 computer system, optimized for FSD, premium audio, standard HEPA Bio-Defense air filtration etc.

Lots more car, but lots less $$.

Just went for a test drive in one of the Ravens - they only had a 22' performance, but damnit, the shocks and ride is miles improved. Like a totally different car.
Though interestingly, my older car was quieter - hit an average of 61 Db, with a peak of 63; while the new one hit an average of 66 Db, with a peak of 69 Db. Some of it was probably the bigger tires, but still ...

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Tesla, along with most other companies, instill a fake sense of "old tech regret", where they come out with the latest and greatest and place a premium on it, knowing people will sell limbs just to get it. I also wish my 2016 had the most recent upgrades like dashcam, sentry mode, and future upgradability like the new ones, but I also got mine for a steep discount. the monroney for mine was originally $144k 4 years ago. I got it last year for $76k. In hindsight, i feel like i would have been just a little bit more satisfied if i got at least AP2, but at the time I was more than happy with AP1. Now that the infotainment upgrade is a future option, I think I will be happy again. Having unlimited premium connectivity would make it worth it for netflix alone. I had an LCD reverse mirror dashcam installed like the cybertruck so that's my makeshift dashcam/sentry mode, and I'm still completely fine with AP with convenience features as I can summon and autopark without issue.

The main justification I give myself on the "just keep it" idea, is the fact that after having it for this long, I already know how it runs and have gotten it just right. I know there aren't any more hidden defects or problems and anything new would really come from me. Getting a new car, whether it's brand new or new "used" still comes with the unknown and could carry it's own set of issues that I don't want to take a gamble on. So...I figure since my car is good, I'll "just keep it", take care of it, and replace it when it is no longer economical. That is my wiser financial decision. Whether or not you could afford it, it's just stupid to trade it in for minor improvement. I would take advantage of the current warranty and ride it out, then in a couple years get a good deal on a lightly used 2021 with the proposed upcoming range increases. It should hopefully come with the same 4 years bumper to bumper warranty and you won't need to pay twice as much for the same car.

Tesla, along with most other companies, instill a fake sense of "old tech regret", where they come out with the latest and greatest and place a premium on it, knowing people will sell limbs just to get it. I also wish my 2016 had the most recent upgrades like dashcam, sentry mode, and future upgradability like the new ones, but I also got mine for a steep discount. the monroney for mine was originally $144k 4 years ago. I got it last year for $76k. In hindsight, i feel like i would have been just a little bit more satisfied if i got at least AP2, but at the time I was more than happy with AP1. Now that the infotainment upgrade is a future option, I think I will be happy again. Having unlimited premium connectivity would make it worth it for netflix alone. I had an LCD reverse mirror dashcam installed like the cybertruck so that's my makeshift dashcam/sentry mode, and I'm still completely fine with AP with convenience features as I can summon and autopark without issue.

The main justification I give myself on the "just keep it" idea, is the fact that after having it for this long, I already know how it runs and have gotten it just right. I know there aren't any more hidden defects or problems and anything new would really come from me. Getting a new car, whether it's brand new or new "used" still comes with the unknown and could carry it's own set of issues that I don't want to take a gamble on. So...I figure since my car is good, I'll "just keep it", take care of it, and replace it when it is no longer economical. That is my wiser financial decision. Whether or not you could afford it, it's just stupid to trade it in for minor improvement. I would take advantage of the current warranty and ride it out, then in a couple years get a good deal on a lightly used 2021 with the proposed upcoming range increases. It should hopefully come with the same 4 years bumper to bumper warranty and you won't need to pay twice as much for the same car.

I have gone back and forth about my CPO 2016 MX, and you echoed my feelings exactly about getting a great deal and feeling somewhat left behind by the AP1 - but yet having decent autopilot (with lane change and summon FWIW)

I think driving it till the warranty runs out makes sense, am a bit worried about it holding value as my cars price has gone down about 10-15K already in the last year - which may make unloading it 2 years from now even harder.

Reactions: forkee
This tech regret is one reason why I leased my Model X. When I replace it next Spring I assume the new model will have considerably long range, faster acceleration, better ride, better autopilot, more convenience features, and a lower price.

But, this is nothing new. That has been the trend of cars since they were first sold. I remember when Air Conditioning was an extra cost options installed at the dealer and ran up to 10% of the car's price.

How much of an issue is the decreased range for you (since to me, range is the driving factor in a Tesla upgrade)? Is your commute 120 mi in a day such that 150-190 leaves you no buffer for emergencies, do you not have at-home charging so you are going out of your way for supercharging frequently, do you frequently road-trip and the added supercharging stops extend the trips by many hours, etc etc.

I bought a 2016 P90D used for $86k about 2 years ago. In California traffic, with people being so aggressive, I'm not sure if the auto lane change would EVER think it was safe. You have to shoe-horn your way in. With 22" wheels, the ride is fine.

There just isn't that much or in reality, anything that I feel I'm missing. It has enough range, and if I had more I'd still plug it in most days. The car is probably worth $65k now. That's about $800 a month. A lot of depreciation. But a new one would suffer the same or more as the depreciation curve may flatten out a little on my 2016.

Love the car. It's bad-ass. I'm 62, and in 10 years FSD would be welcome.