TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should I sell my ICE?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by geometro, Jul 14, 2018.

1. geometro

geometro Member

First world issue, I know, but... should I sell my ICE? I’ve had my 3 for a few months and it’s great, meanwhile my old car is gathering dust.

It’s a 2001 BMW 325it with stick shift and sport package. I drove it last week and it was actually fun. I have no rational reason to keep it (good for backup purposes and for surfing— though I can fit an 8’ in the 3), but curious as to what others have done.

2. Mazari4life

Mazari4life Member

Do it!!! I kept my Lexus for a month than sold it.

• Disagree x 2
  3. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I'd sell it. It's depreciating and you still have insurance/registration/maintenance costs associated with it and it is too close to the Model 3 in function.

I'm keeping my Miata, as it's so utterly different and after 15 years is as much a family pet as a car. A truck or some other vastly different vehicle might make sense, but I've owned an older BMW and would only keep it as a hobby or if it was something special like an M3/M5/M Roadster/etc.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. pandam3

pandam3 Member

Manual rwd wagon? That’s a Jalopnik dream car... keep it as a weekend toy... tinker with it, mod it, drop an e46 M3 engine and transmission in it.

I’m keeping two of my ice toys for weekend use... BMW V8M3 and a Trail Teams FJ Cruiser. Letting that V8 scream to 8k rpm is my weekly injection of crack.

• Like x 2
  5. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#5 ℬête Noire, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    We plan to pass it on to the kid who's about to get a learner's permit. Otherwise I'd put it up for sale the day I got the 3 home.

Then again it's far more in the category of "functional transportation" than what you've got there, and I wouldn't say there's any particular emotional attachment to it.

6. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

We have our SUV up for sale because we don’t want to eat the cost of depreciation and insurance just to drive it on rare occasions. We’ll Turo something if the 3 or the S is ever unsuitable for our needs.

• Like x 1
  7. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

I would sell it, buts that’s mainly because I really don’t like BMW’s.

I have a 911 S for a weekend car which I love for the handling and noise!

• Like x 1
  8. HeinrichJ729

HeinrichJ729 Member

Sell that old relic. Why pay insurance and maintenance for something that belongs in a museum? :)

Since we bought our Tesla our remaining ICE has been gathering dust as well. We are about to get rid of our ICE to be an entirely Tesla household soon.

• Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

We sold our last ICE in 2009. We have been all-electric since (and all-Tesla since 2012). No regrets!

• Like x 1
  10. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

#10 seattlite2004, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    I've been driving an EV for a few months now and my buddy let me drive his 981 Cayman GTS manual. I loved the suuhweet growl/hum of that engine; loved the totally engaged feeling of its manual transmission...it was soooo much fun to drive.

IMHO... I'd keep it for more engaged driving fun and as a backup.

• Like x 2
  11. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I would sell it.

12. MRPLUGIN

MRPLUGIN Member

We have been all electric ever sense we bought my wife her Model 3. No reason to pay insurance on something that sits around. The only thing I need once in awhile is a truck. So I rent one.

• Like x 1
  13. outie

outie Active Member

I would sell it simply because it’s not worth collecting. Like another memeber posted if it was more special then I would keep it. For example I also have a V8 M3 and I am keeping it. My 535i however is going to be sold once my Model 3P arrives.

14. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

If you think of it as a car, I would sell it in a heartbeat (and I've enjoyed owning 5 BMWs over the years). On long trips we have chosen to Supercharge the Tesla rather than take our Audi every time.

If you think of it as a really expensive high maintenance toy, and you don't mind the cost and hassle, well I guess you could keep it. But the physical and financial depreciation is probably going to bug you--how much are you going to pay on a per drive basis?

15. jmanning

jmanning Member

YES, didn't look past the headline....yes the answer is always yes if you can get another EV that fits your budget and needs...

• Disagree x 1
  16. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Use it as a drift car.

• Like x 2
  17. geometro

geometro Member

Thanks for all of the replies.

I ended up agreeing with many of you that suggested it doesn’t really complement or supersede the 3 in any noticeable way (and maintenance isn’t trivial). I put it up for sale this afternoon and it’s now gone! (Faster than I expected). I’ll miss the sound of that inline 6.

Still will likely contemplate a Miata or Porsche at a future point :D

• Like x 3
  18. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Yes

• Helpful x 1
  19. HopeToGolf

HopeToGolf Member

One thing I’ve considered is car club membership. It may be a good option for you.

It’s funny, one reason I didn’t purchase a sports car and I’ve only “considered” a car club is I don’t have time (or location) on the weekends to really take advantage of driving fast.

If you were only going to use the BMW sparingly, I think you made the right call.

20. Piney999

Piney999 Member

I sold my ICE car and bought an old Wrangler for next to nothing. Took the top & doors off, and now I have a 4WD convertible to compliment the Tesla. Keep your BMW, or get a Jeep, but an inexpensive back up for a variety of reasons is a good idea.