Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I sell my ICE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First world issue, I know, but... should I sell my ICE? I’ve had my 3 for a few months and it’s great, meanwhile my old car is gathering dust.

It’s a 2001 BMW 325it with stick shift and sport package. I drove it last week and it was actually fun. I have no rational reason to keep it (good for backup purposes and for surfing— though I can fit an 8’ in the 3), but curious as to what others have done.

First world issue, I know, but... should I sell my ICE? I’ve had my 3 for a few months and it’s great, meanwhile my old car is gathering dust.

It’s a 2001 BMW 325it with stick shift and sport package. I drove it last week and it was actually fun. I have no rational reason to keep it (good for backup purposes and for surfing— though I can fit an 8’ in the 3), but curious as to what others have done.
Do it!!! I kept my Lexus for a month than sold it.

I'd sell it. It's depreciating and you still have insurance/registration/maintenance costs associated with it and it is too close to the Model 3 in function.

I'm keeping my Miata, as it's so utterly different and after 15 years is as much a family pet as a car. A truck or some other vastly different vehicle might make sense, but I've owned an older BMW and would only keep it as a hobby or if it was something special like an M3/M5/M Roadster/etc.

• Disagree
Reactions: xav- and adaptabl
...but curious as to what others have done.
We plan to pass it on to the kid who's about to get a learner's permit. Otherwise I'd put it up for sale the day I got the 3 home.

Then again it's far more in the category of "functional transportation" than what you've got there, and I wouldn't say there's any particular emotional attachment to it.

Last edited:

Sell that old relic. Why pay insurance and maintenance for something that belongs in a museum? :)

Since we bought our Tesla our remaining ICE has been gathering dust as well. We are about to get rid of our ICE to be an entirely Tesla household soon.

I've been driving an EV for a few months now and my buddy let me drive his 981 Cayman GTS manual. I loved the suuhweet growl/hum of that engine; loved the totally engaged feeling of its manual transmission...it was soooo much fun to drive.

IMHO... I'd keep it for more engaged driving fun and as a backup.

Last edited:

I would sell it.

I would sell it simply because it’s not worth collecting. Like another memeber posted if it was more special then I would keep it. For example I also have a V8 M3 and I am keeping it. My 535i however is going to be sold once my Model 3P arrives.

If you think of it as a car, I would sell it in a heartbeat (and I've enjoyed owning 5 BMWs over the years). On long trips we have chosen to Supercharge the Tesla rather than take our Audi every time.

If you think of it as a really expensive high maintenance toy, and you don't mind the cost and hassle, well I guess you could keep it. But the physical and financial depreciation is probably going to bug you--how much are you going to pay on a per drive basis?

Thanks for all of the replies.

I ended up agreeing with many of you that suggested it doesn’t really complement or supersede the 3 in any noticeable way (and maintenance isn’t trivial). I put it up for sale this afternoon and it’s now gone! (Faster than I expected). I’ll miss the sound of that inline 6.

Still will likely contemplate a Miata or Porsche at a future point :D

Thanks for all of the replies.

I ended up agreeing with many of you that suggested it doesn’t really complement or supersede the 3 in any noticeable way (and maintenance isn’t trivial). I put it up for sale this afternoon and it’s now gone! (Faster than I expected). I’ll miss the sound of that inline 6.

Still will likely contemplate a Miata or Porsche at a future point :D

One thing I’ve considered is car club membership. It may be a good option for you.

It’s funny, one reason I didn’t purchase a sports car and I’ve only “considered” a car club is I don’t have time (or location) on the weekends to really take advantage of driving fast.

If you were only going to use the BMW sparingly, I think you made the right call.