Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I sell my Model S for a used Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I currently own a 2015 P85D with about 49K miles. My vehicle warranty expires in November and the battery and drive unit warranty expires September 2023. I'm torn whether to buy an extended warranty and keep it or sell it for a 2019 or 2020 Model X Long Range Plus. I started looking at the Model X and the average price for a 2020 is about $86K. Is there something I should consider in the model year or version? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I was actually in your same position probably 6 months ago. All this of course being during the rising car price situation, its a tough time to be needing to change vehicles......but all that being said, I too wanted to move from an S to an X. After considerable thought, i decided to just hang on to my S. Frankly, with such low miles on your S, you should hang onto it. Thats incredibly low miles! You have probably already gone over the costs involved, and at the end of the day thats probably going to be the biggest influence on your decision. If the car warranty situation scares you like it probably does most people, then I guess you better get rid of it.....but with low miles like that, you are likely in the middle of the life cycle. My car has just under 45k miles, and it drives almost brand new, your car must be in similar state as far as how it feels?

Last edited:
I was actually in your same position probably 6 months ago. All this of course being during the rising car price situation, its a tough time to be needing to change vehicles......but all that being said, I too wanted to move from an S to an X. After considerable thought, i decided to just hang on to my S. Frankly, with such low miles on your S, you should hang onto it. Thats incredibly low miles! You have probably already gone over the costs involved, and at the end of the day thats probably going to be the biggest influence on your decision. If the car warranty situation scares you like it probably does most people, then I guess you better get rid of it.....but with low miles like that, you are likely in the middle of the life cycle. My car has just under 45k miles, and it drives almost brand new, your car must be in similar state as far as how it feels?
Honestly, I love the car. Best car I've owned so far. What scares me is the fact that the warranty is about to end and in the last couple months the car has had a couple big ticket issues. In April the car shutdown and the rear drive unit was replaced. This past Sunday the car shutdown again and is in the shop currently with no word on what it was yet. I can get a pretty penny for it now with the low miles, current condition and the free supercharging for life. Just thinking if now's the time to sell it and move on.

I’ve owned both S and X cars (several different iterations) I have now 2022s.

Here’s a few pointers:

1. The X is not nimble. Is an SUV, cornering is not as quick and stable

2. The X will consume way way more battery. Almost twice as fast as your X

3. The X with three row seven seats (bench) has so many rattles from the mechanism under the 2nd row that it sounds like an old truck. (The hood thing about that one is that you can carry loads when you flatten the seats)

4. Do not buy an X with a 75 KWh battery. Is a city commuter. Battery flies so fast that you have to plug in very frequently.

5. More moving parts. I have been lucky never had problems with the falcon doors. Some people have.

If you live in a sunny hot place, the huge windshield can be annoyingly hot.

Now the good things:

1. Is high and big. If that’s your thing (I like low cars) then the X is for you.

2. The doors open and close automatically. This is the one thing I wish my S cars would do.

3. Getting in and out of it is very easy. Great for older people because you don’t have squat

4. Compared to your P85: it has door pockets. Lots more storage.

5. The huge windshield gives you great visibility.

6. It has a light show. The car flaps it falcon wings like an angry chicken.

I've never thought about getting an X. I like the handling of the S and the cavernous hatch with the seats down. Great to camp in. I rarely take more than one passenger, so the 3rd row of seats is more of an obstacle than an asset. The S is more efficient.

I plan to replace my S with a Plaid S late next year.

I’ve owned both S and X cars (several different iterations) I have now 2022s.

Here’s a few pointers:

1. The X is not nimble. Is an SUV, cornering is not as quick and stable

2. The X will consume way way more battery. Almost twice as fast as your X

3. The X with three row seven seats (bench) has so many rattles from the mechanism under the 2nd row that it sounds like an old truck. (The hood thing about that one is that you can carry loads when you flatten the seats)

4. Do not buy an X with a 75 KWh battery. Is a city commuter. Battery flies so fast that you have to plug in very frequently.

5. More moving parts. I have been lucky never had problems with the falcon doors. Some people have.

If you live in a sunny hot place, the huge windshield can be annoyingly hot.

Now the good things:

1. Is high and big. If that’s your thing (I like low cars) then the X is for you.

2. The doors open and close automatically. This is the one thing I wish my S cars would do.

3. Getting in and out of it is very easy. Great for older people because you don’t have squat

4. Compared to your P85: it has door pockets. Lots more storage.

5. The huge windshield gives you great visibility.

6. It has a light show. The car flaps it falcon wings like an angry chicken.
Thank you for laying this all out. Exactly what I needed. I'm going to go ahead and keep the car and get the extended warranty from X-care.

I always had a thing for the X. In 2015 it was announced but delayed so I went for the S. Still it stayed in my mind… until I got it as a loaner for a weekend. I loved the size and the FWD. but I really did not like the handling.
I’m also thinking again about it, as the kids have grown so much that the S is too small for them.
But then I remember how much I was disappointed with it when driving it.
Decided to keep the S which I find the greatest and will keep as long as we can.
Probably a Y as a second car in the future.