Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I sell my Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any of y'all debating selling your vehicle what with how crazy inflated used vehicle prices are right now? I'm considering selling mine real soon here, and hopefully picking something back up when prices go back down to reasonable. I have a gas beater as a backup for the meantime, but given gas prices (and general beater shittiness) I'd love to minimize time without an EV.

I still have used vehicle limited warranty exp Jan 2023 (RIP the good days of 4y/50k mi used vehicle warranty) + standard battery warranty ext Nov 2023, so I think that will fetch a decent premium. I'm trying to factor in how much SC01/Transferrable Free Unlimited Supercharging has on both my vehicle as well as the general market.

Obviously right now there are a few factors in play: new tesla vehicle wait times (production capacity, not supply), chip shortage yielding legacy/alternate automakers new vehicle wait times/supply, and gas prices.

Do y'all have any input on time as to when the used tesla market will drop and thus I should optimize to sell before?

Reactions: Chris Redfield
Any of y'all debating selling your vehicle what with how crazy inflated used vehicle prices are right now? I'm considering selling mine real soon here, and hopefully picking something back up when prices go back down to reasonable. I have a gas beater as a backup for the meantime, but given gas prices (and general beater shittiness) I'd love to minimize time without an EV.

I still have used vehicle limited warranty exp Jan 2023 (RIP the good days of 4y/50k mi used vehicle warranty) + standard battery warranty ext Nov 2023, so I think that will fetch a decent premium. I'm trying to factor in how much SC01/Transferrable Free Unlimited Supercharging has on both my vehicle as well as the general market.

Obviously right now there are a few factors in play: new tesla vehicle wait times (production capacity, not supply), chip shortage yielding legacy/alternate automakers new vehicle wait times/supply, and gas prices.

Do y'all have any input on time as to when the used tesla market will drop and thus I should optimize to sell before?

I ordered a model X Plaid before the 2 big price increases, sold my P85DL months later for quite bit higher than kbb private party had been just the year before.

I have a 2009 Prius with 320K miles on where kbb private party middle was $3400 two years ago. It is now over $8K on kbb private party middle.

For your reference, I just sold a fully loaded, including jumpout seats, ‘15 S 85D with ~62k to one of the broker sites like carvana. Car still had a year of CPO warranty left and free supercharging for life. The broker took it directly to Mannheim where a used car dealer across the country bought it and listed up on their own site for 56k and sold it within like two days. They didn’t even take any of their own pics and just used the shitty ones from the auction!

I thought about it but that didn't last long. It was tempting because I can get more for my car now than what I paid for it in 2019. Only put 15K miles on it since I bought it and it's lived in the garage all its life, so it's in really good shape.

I think if you have alternative transportation, you're definitely in a good place however be prepared for this situation to last 4 or 5 years. I don't think inflation is going anywhere and neither are the supply/demand issues so while the current situation might change, the impacts of it won't necessarily.

I'm ready to sell. CarMax is offering 4k more than I paid for it. Hmm. I do need the money for other responsibilities.
I drove my S85 for a year & put 30k miles on it because I live FAR from my job. Pandemia didn't affect my work situation & so there I went to work every week while everyone else stayed home.
Now that I'm having to move, I'm going to live right next to my job, therefore eliminating the fear of petrol.
This was a one-year experiment with electricity in motion you could say and it was a unanimous success. I took various road trips in this car. It was the best experience I could ever ask for. Now it's time to say goodbye. 😟
I'll get another one someday. Probably a Cybertruck.

I'm in a similar situation, I can still get an extended warranty on my 4 yr CPO warranty, and the power train warranty up in July next year.

My car value already dropped, but I think I'm going to hang on to it as long as I can. If the MS LR o have order turns out flawless, then I'll change my mind

Considered it, then decided I don't want to spend a year or three driving some ICE car to save a few thousand dollars. I've been waiting for a Taycan since last summer (COVID + Ukraine war completely screwed up their production capacity, at the current rate I'm in line to get an allocation in 3 years, though I might buy something else if it becomes available first, such as EQS AMG, Model S Plaid if it comes with regular stalked steering wheel and proper brakes, or eTron GT RS if it comes in an hatchback form). Life is too short to postpone enjoyment to save a few bucks. I enjoy driving good cars. I don't want to be that guy who saves all his life to enjoy retirement, then realizes life has passed and no amount of money will buy him back the enjoyment he could have had. I actually knew a guy like that growing up, he saved all his life, retired and died a millionaire while living very modest life, never owning a new car until retirement, etc. He actually told me, "don't wait too long to enjoy life".

Some things, such as cars, are much more enjoyable while younger. Even though it was a small fraction of the cost of sport cars I've owned later in my life, the most fun I even had with a car was in a Toyota MR2 when I was 17. I drove it over 40,000km in 10 months before I sold it due to insurance being more than 2x the car payment (teenage male in a sports car). I spent most of the money I was making at the time on that car, IIRC I ended up trading it for less than I owed on it, but never regretted doing it.

Of course all of the above only applies if you are into cars and they give you significant enjoyment. Then again, if they don't, you should pick something cheaper than a Tesla to drive and spend the difference on what you actually enjoy.

Any of y'all debating selling your vehicle what with how crazy inflated used vehicle prices are right now?
I thought about it for a minute but the only thing I would want to replace it with is a new MS. While the new tech/features would be cool I know I would miss my rare color (Titanium Metallic), my sunroof, and the carefree use of the free lifetime supercharging. The car is still under warranty for another year and I did the MCU2 upgrade so I feel like I am in a pretty good situation and couldn't see myself driving anything else that doesn't cost as least twice my trade-in price.

Are all the MCU2 people still hanging out on v10 (2021.44.6) like me or are people actually running the latest v11 builds and are happy?

I thought about it for a minute but the only thing I would want to replace it with is a new MS. While the new tech/features would be cool I know I would miss my rare color (Titanium Metallic), my sunroof, and the carefree use of the free lifetime supercharging. The car is still under warranty for another year and I did the MCU2 upgrade so I feel like I am in a pretty good situation and couldn't see myself driving anything else that doesn't cost as least twice my trade-in price.

Are all the MCU2 people still hanging out on v10 (2021.44.6) like me or are people actually running the latest v11 builds and are happy?
Replaced my 2015 S85D with a new S LR in January.
Much better in every way. Completely worth it.

I'm on the latest firmware and, although it's hard to exactly remember what 10 was like, I do like what we have now. I think it's superior. The mcu-2 upgrade? Oh yeah, now that was worth the money!

Why did the AP1 firmware discussion thread suddenly turn into a "should I sell my car or not" discussion thread? It would make much more sense to start a new thread since that's entirely off topic.
I think the Forum Moderator should be able to take the last part of this thread and put it into a new one according to what I've seen in the past. I remember belonging to another forum where one of the moderators had excellent organization skills. 😎

Reactions: aerodyne

The car market and the entire economy might be in flux for a while. The war in Ukraine has further destabilized an already shaky world economy. The car production problems could last another couple of years.

I got upgraded to V11. The first versions were painful to use, especially in the winter. It's a little better now, but I'd rather roll back to V9. That was the last good UI IMO.

Do you remember roughly what new functionality you've received since the upgrade to MCU2?

The MCU doesn't crash anymore and everything is faster. It will play games MCU1 won't (which I don't care about), but otherwise not much change. My MCU was failing, rebooting frequently and it was getting glacially slow.

For your reference, I just sold a fully loaded, including jumpout seats, ‘15 S 85D with ~62k to one of the broker sites like carvana. Car still had a year of CPO warranty left and free supercharging for life. The broker took it directly to Mannheim where a used car dealer across the country bought it and listed up on their own site for 56k and sold it within like two days. They didn’t even take any of their own pics and just used the shitty ones from the auction!
What did you get from the broker site you used?

1. In inflationary times, you might regret putting your money in cash for a later purchase. Put the funds into TSLA as a hedge, or at least get in carefully at 10% per month for 10 months?
2. Don't sell until you need to. A regretted sale is much worse than a car kept a little too long.
3. There can be substantial unexpected fluctuations. I bought from a friend (generously at what the broker offered him) early this year. In a couple months that changed from $69k to $55k (in my favor).

If I were you, I'd market it well focusing on what makes it unusual, price it at the top, and keep it until you get a nice offer you can't say no to (or need to sell).

1. In inflationary times, you might regret putting your money in cash for a later purchase. Put the funds into TSLA as a hedge, or at least get in carefully at 10% per month for 10 months?
2. Don't sell until you need to. A regretted sale is much worse than a car kept a little too long.
3. There can be substantial unexpected fluctuations. I bought from a friend (generously at what the broker offered him) early this year. In a couple months that changed from $69k to $55k (in my favor).

If I were you, I'd market it well focusing on what makes it unusual, price it at the top, and keep it until you get a nice offer you can't say no to (or need to sell).

Though the stock market is down right now. Tesla dropped below $800 today.

I ordered a model X Plaid before the 2 big price increases, sold my P85DL months later for quite bit higher than kbb private party had been just the year before.

I have a 2009 Prius with 320K miles on where kbb private party middle was $3400 two years ago. It is now over $8K on kbb private party middle.

wow. I thought I did well with $9k for my 10 Highlander w/ 161K miles. Had two wrecks on the record though

I do regret not buying/returning a 2015 S CPO for $37K. Kid wouldn't sit in the 3rd row :(