Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I sell my refreshed model S to a dealer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming ICE is your alternative, Price Paid + Tax Paid + $1-2k for next FSD price increase + future gas and running costs + increased insurance for not being in the safest car - avoided loan interest - your electric cost/mile = your value is probably a lot higher than 95k

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd
Upvote 0
If you want a Model S, it would make sense to keep the one you've got (prices for future ones are rising and demand is increasing).

If you don't want the Model S, then.... sure... sell it and get something else (and pay fresh taxes, title, license, etc on the new thing, plus potentially higher fuel costs). Or pocket the savings and Uber it till... someday? Most of us are buying Teslas because we wanted a Tesla, not as some short-term investment speculation.

Reactions: bobby g and Cal1
Upvote 0
Considering that exact car (assuming 19” wheels and no FSD) sells for $100k and won’t be delivered until July, along with the rest of the craziness in the car market right now, I don’t find that a particularly good deal. I think you could do a fair bit better depending on how desperately you need to be rid of it and how much time you’re willing to spend on a deal.

Upvote 0
Assuming ICE is your alternative, Price Paid + Tax Paid + $1-2k for next FSD price increase + future gas and running costs + increased insurance for not being in the safest car - avoided loan interest - your electric cost/mile = your value is probably a lot higher than 95k
Increased insurance cost for not being in the safest car? Never heard of that being a thing.

Upvote 0
I just noticed that the price for a new long range model S dropped $7000 (from $96k to 89k - delivery in 4 months) since I looked a month or two ago. It was 81k a year and a half ago I understand.

Similarly, the price brokers were offering my seller friend for the 2018 P100D with 85k miles dropped from $69k a couple months ago (Tesla offered $53) to $55k, the price he asked me to pay (I did).

Upvote 0
I just noticed that the price for a new long range model S dropped $7000 (from $96k to 89k - delivery in 4 months) since I looked a month or two ago. It was 81k a year and a half ago I understand.

Similarly, the price brokers were offering my seller friend for the 2018 P100D with 85k miles dropped from $69k a couple months ago (Tesla offered $53) to $55k, the price he asked me to pay (I did).
Where did you see that it dropped? when I just checked, look at picture attached, price is 98.6 for my configuration.

Upvote 0
That car is worth $106-$112k right now on the open market.
If it were me I'd at least list it for free sites (Craigslist, FB Market place) and see what happens.
If the dealer is giving you $95k they are going to aim for about $8 to $10k higher when they sell

Do NOT underestimate this current sellers market right now. I repeat..do NOT underestimate it

Reactions: DBV1
Upvote 0
That car is worth $106-$112k right now on the open market.
If it were me I'd at least list it for free sites (Craigslist, FB Market place) and see what happens.
If the dealer is giving you $95k they are going to aim for about $8 to $10k higher when they sell

Do NOT underestimate this current sellers market right now. I repeat..do NOT underestimate it
Do not under estimate how many scammers will try to rip you off in the “current” Internet state if affairs.

Upvote 0
Do not under estimate how many scammers will try to rip you off in the “current” Internet state if affairs.
Oh, absolutely. But anyone with common sense these days knows at this amount: If not selling through ebay and its protections? Cashiers Check in person accompanying the buyer to the bank while he/she actually gets the cashiers check made at the bank/100% confirmed BY the bank. Or 100% confirmed/validated wire transfer TO the bank day or so before actual handover of the car. In addition to copies of drivers license, ID, etc.
And with it being a Tesla..its not like it cant easily be tracked...

Also, there are a number of certified escrow services for this purpose.

Upvote 0