Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I sell my TSLA stock to buy a new Model S?

bareyb

Sep 2, 2013
Silicon Valley, CA
I bought $5k worth of TSLA when I bought my 2013 Model S and if I sell it today, I'd have almost exactly what I'd need to buy a new Model S LR. I know next to nothing about Stocks, but I'm thinking it would be really awesome if my Stocks bought me a new Model S. It's long overdue. My 2013 is out of warranty now and I think it's time to let it go. What do you think? Sell the Stock or hang onto it and pay cash?

alloverx

Mar 20, 2016
Seattle
Hard to predict of course but seems unlikely Tesla share price will continue its fast rise of last few years. Still likely to continue going up just at a slower rate. You will likely never see a dividend in the medium term. Perhaps play safe and sell 1/2 shares.

David_Cary

Dec 17, 2012
Cary, NC
Sell and invest in something else? Who cares if your car is out of warranty - it still works right?
Imagine the stock market when everyone sells to avoid capital gains tax increase.....

gaswalla

Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery
Sep 23, 2012
San Diego
Be sure you understand tax implications- even though rates are likely going up, you still will lose about 18-24 percent to the feds and another 10-12 percent to the great state of California.

my recommendation- hold on to it and revisit the conversation when the Roadster is out

Gumball

Mar 9, 2020
Yes
Use someone else’s money to buy aka a bank
Yeah right, not like you have to pay it back or something.

But serious, shares will go up a lot more, the expectations are, so keeping them makes a lot of sense. Sell the current S and use that money and a loan for the new car.

ecospider5

Nov 6, 2018
Duvall
If your retirement is fully funded then an expensive new car makes sense. If not then keep driving your current car and keep you stock assets for retirement. I’m sure if you get your current Tesla detailed very few would be able to tell the difference between that and a new Tesla.

Big Toys

Jan 19, 2019
Florida
If your retirement is fully funded then an expensive new car makes sense. If not then keep driving your current car and keep you stock assets for retirement. I’m sure if you get your current Tesla detailed very few would be able to tell the difference between that and a new Tesla.
I bought $5k worth of TSLA when I bought my 2013 Model S and if I sell it today, I'd have almost exactly what I'd need to buy a new Model S LR. I know next to nothing about Stocks, but I'm thinking it would be really awesome if my Stocks bought me a new Model S. It's long overdue. My 2013 is out of warranty now and I think it's time to let it go. What do you think? Sell the Stock or hang onto it and pay cash?
To be fair: an expensive car never "makes sense".

dub1ous

Aug 1, 2021
OH
sounds like you have > 100, you can write options contracts on them. Consistent income per week, should pay for your TESLA loan. This is what I would do, if I was in your position.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC