Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I sign up with SolarCity now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just signed up with SolarCity for their PPL program (but have time to back out). But rumor has it that Elon will announce something related to SolarCity and Tesla at the end of this month. Should I put my order on hold until after the announcement? Does anyone know what exactly the announcement will be about?
Thanks.

Much like Tesla, SolarCity does not undermine itself at the point of sale. The SolarCity PPA in SE Pennsylvania is priced at a point where they think they'll make money once the region is up to scale, so there's not much fear of a better option coming from Tesla post-merger. The difference one year from now will be in profit margin, not price point or product offering.

I know some good installers in the area if you're interested in buying, otherwise SolarCity is the way to go.

• Helpful
Reactions: fallen888
Panels are so cheap now that you really need to focus on avoiding soft costs more than anything. The only reason I haven't gone with SCTY is all that sales cost in the background.

I still recommend that anyone not legitimately interested in shopping for and monitoring their array on a weekly basis should go with SolarCity. It's cheaper than PECo and they take care of everything.

Will PM you a good installer option and can put you in touch with a couple PA SolarCity customers if you'd like to hear their thoughts.

• Helpful
Building a solar array on your house is not rocket science. A little research and the average person can do it. Most of the systems today are plug and play with micro inverters. However having a company install is nice if you have the money. I have 44 panels on my house here in KC and it has been well worth the time and effort. My bill is zero from Sept - May every year and dropped 2/3's in the summer months.
I know this not a "should I" or "shouldn't I" thread but just adding a little additional personal experience.

Reactions: PtG62901
SolarCity just quietly started a pilot program for online discount sales of I assume their PPA product. You should shoot them an email and express your interest in the discounted online rate even though it's officially only run in South Carolina right now.

The only major advantage I can see in waiting til post-merger is that sales cost should go down considerably under the Tesla umbrella. Price points for the PPA then could go down a hair. But if they can provide that savings today through discounted online orders.....

• Helpful
Based on my research, they've started coming down in price already. But what makes you think it'll be another 20 - 40% in the next year?
Keep in mind that even if price of panel will drop another 20% by next year, it doesn't mean your total installation cost will drop 20%. That's because price of panel is accounting for less than half of solar installation costs.

I just signed up with SolarCity for their PPL program (but have time to back out). But rumor has it that Elon will announce something related to SolarCity and Tesla at the end of this month. Should I put my order on hold until after the announcement? Does anyone know what exactly the announcement will be about?
Thanks.
It is not a rumor anymore. Elon already announced on twitter that there will be a new solar product reveal at the end of Oct.