Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should i spend $3000 on AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On AP2 cars the cost is $5k for auto pilot, the $3k is for “Full Self Drive” which requires you to already have the $5k Auto Pilot option included. The $3k full self drive is a total waste of money as it does zero now and it may never do anything except lighten your wallet. To me the Auto Pilot and EV speed were reason one and two for overlooking the quality compromises that buying a Tesla comes with. Without those options buying a Tesla makes no sense.

Reactions: PrGrPa and Gt1948
If you are talking about Full Self Driving for $3k, no way would I get it. If your car already has it and you don't want it and you haven't taken delivery yet, make Tesla remove it and reduce the price. Don't let them tell you it's not possible. I met someone recently at a local EV gathering and she told me Tesla would not let her remove it, even though she had not taken delivery yet.

Reactions: PrGrPa and Gt1948
Yes. All these abbreviations. Lol
I went with $5K for EAP.

I got AP2 since March for almost 10,000 miles and I've used it almost all the time and I've been so glad that I've got it!

For $3,000 Self-Driving option, it's uncertain when it will start to work yet but I went ahead and paid for it because I rationalize that

1) I want to grow with the system and experience its incremental improvements in future.

2) Even if self-driving will fail, it will still be better than Autopilot in future.

Yes. All these abbreviations. Lol
I went with $5K for EAP.

I was asking my OA about EAP, his point was if you're in a hurry you won't be using enhanced auto-pilot because you'll be weaving in and out of traffic. However - most owners find themselves using EAP a lot when you just need to get from point A to B on the highway and don't want to worry about keeping up in traffic.

Reactions: PrGrPa
What does AP1 have that is better than AP2? I think AP2 has more cameras and sensors and is supposed to be better?
AP1 was remarkably good. It was based on a 3rd Party product by a company named Mobileye, and it was good. Tesla decided to transition away from that product and Mobileye walked away from Tesla almost immediately. So Tesla was tasked with starting over.

AP2 was rather challenged at first and has gotten much better. Recently, there are folks who think it has reached parity with AP1 in most ways. The differences are subtle and not necessarily important. But AP2 will keep improving and AP1 is mostly done.

AP2 "has" 8 cameras, but only 1 is currently contributing to the car's performance. The rest are taking in data for Tesla's use for now.

• Informative
Reactions: Need
I was asking my OA about EAP, his point was if you're in a hurry you won't be using enhanced auto-pilot because you'll be weaving in and out of traffic. However - most owners find themselves using EAP a lot when you just need to get from point A to B on the highway and don't want to worry about keeping up in traffic.

I use it all the time to avoid the temptation to switch lanes, weave, etc. I find it relaxing and i only arrive a few minutes later.

have delivery 12/12 date. Trying to decide if AP is worth it now.

You need to verify this with your DS, but Tesla might charge you an extra $500 for a configuration change at this stage.

As for the Enhanced AutoPilot, it's one of those things that until you have it you don't really understand why it's needed, but once you have it, you can't understand how you lived without it. It's a personal decision, but for me it's a must-have. Even if you won't use the auto-steer too often, the Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is extremely helpful in stop-and-go traffic for example.

I read the same statement here a few times. What does AP1 have that is better than AP2? I think AP2 has more cameras and sensors and is supposed to be better?
I read that some people have said that AP2 has recently gotten as good as AP1 in some ways. Hard to find fault with AP1 as it does everything so incredibly well. Tesla doesn’t use all the sensors, plus AP2 has something like 40 times more processing power but having 1000 times more than is needed is still just more than is needed. AP1 uses different software and may need 40 times less resources or AP2 has an overkill.

For me well worth the money because I hate dealing with stop and go traffic. As the poster above said this is a game changer because I'm not dealing with the back and forth on the brake and gas. Much more relaxing drive. It is also really nice for long trips. Only thing I noticed is when the car is cold and regen isn't ready it is a bit hard on the brakes so I tend to not use it in stop and go traffic in cold weather.