Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take a chance?? Scared to do so!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't look good:

You can make it, but you need to drive no faster than 50 mph. You can almost double your range if you drive no faster than 30.

If you stop half way in like say Kayenta, you can charge overnight on 120V and add 50 miles of range.
Looks like there are some easy to find 240V chargers too, KOA campground in Ojato. Depends on whether you only will use superchargers.

Edit: also a Tesla operated destination charger in Moenkopi Legacy Inn & Suites [Tesla] if you stay overnight. Super easy that way, barely an inconvenience.

I'm interested in taking this route in October, but I've only got a Model 3 SR. Still works fine as long as I stop over night, or hit an L2 charger for an hour.

Last edited:
Doesn't look good:

You can make it, but you need to drive no faster than 50 mph. You can almost double your range if you drive no faster than 30.

If you stop half way in like say Kayenta, you can charge overnight on 120V and add 50 miles of range.
Looks like there are some easy to find 240V chargers too, KOA campground in Ojato. Depends on whether you only will use superchargers.

Edit: also a Tesla operated destination charger in Moenkopi Legacy Inn & Suites [Tesla] if you stay overnight. Super easy that way, barely an inconvenience.

I'm interested in taking this route in October, but I've only got a Model 3 SR. Still works fine as long as I stop over night, or hit an L2 charger for an hour.

Sometimes I hate ABRP! I was plotting routes, and put in Tuba city as a waypoint since it has L2 charging at hotels for over night and it then directed me to the Page AZ supercharger, and then on to MOAB. I guess that driving slow on the direct route is faster than stopping in Page AZ? Let me check... if you stop to supercharge in page AZ it takes 7 hours total including charging time. If you just drive slow on the direct route (55 mph) it takes 6 hours.

<edit> Did some re-configuring in ABRP (I normally drive faster than the speed limit, and I had my battery deg at 5% because I had just planned a route for our Bolt with 80,000 miles) and it says I can do it at the speed limit if I charge to 100% and am willing to arrive at the supercharger in Blanding (I assume you mean Blanding, not blanking) with 12% SOC the trip will take 5 and a half hours (this is in a MYP with a fresh low mile battery pack)... in other words, go for it! </edit>

Keith

Sometimes I hate ABRP! I was plotting routes, and put in Tuba city as a waypoint since it has L2 charging at hotels for over night and it then directed me to the Page AZ supercharger, and then on to MOAB. I guess that driving slow on the direct route is faster than stopping in Page AZ? Let me check... if you stop to supercharge in page AZ it takes 7 hours total including charging time. If you just drive slow on the direct route (55 mph) it takes 6 hours.

<edit> Did some re-configuring in ABRP (I normally drive faster than the speed limit, and I had my battery deg at 5% because I had just planned a route for our Bolt with 80,000 miles) and it says I can do it at the speed limit if I charge to 100% and am willing to arrive at the supercharger in Blanding (I assume you mean Blanding, not blanking) with 12% SOC the trip will take 5 and a half hours (this is in a MYP with a fresh low mile battery pack)... in other words, go for it! </edit>

Keith

I pretty much agree with that. ABRP seems to not be interested in letting me get lunch and 30 miles of range at any handy L2 chargers. This is a must for me, because I hate sitting for 6 hours anyway, and an SR with 205 mile range can't make it. I also used PlugShare to show me where handy L2's hang out, which is where I found the destination charger. It's all mindset though- this isn't some place totally foreign, it's Arizona, even if it's on Navajo reservations, and they still have 120V everywhere. If you can not be in a rush, it's easy.

@Magic Guy This is the route through Monument Valley right? Seems worth the effort.

Reactions: Fourdoor
PlugShare shows a CHAdeMO in Bluff, UT which is 26 miles closer. So if you had an adapter it could provide a bailout option if you need it…

Blanding has some of the best burgers/sandwiches on Earth… at the Patio Drive In. Check it out.

Share how the trip goes. I’ve done it in an ICE about a dozen times (Colorado to Grand Canton trips) but I’m afraid to do it in my new Y…