Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take delivery of MYLR DBM from Fremont later this month? [Posted March 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@babakiltoe, I am in the same place as you with a MY VIN assignment and EDD window starting in days. I understand it could cost me almost $6K more if I cancel now and re-order later to get HW4, considering loss of my order fee, the $2K price increase since my order, and the potential loss of the $3,750 tax credit for battery sources materials. That's a compelling reason to take the car with HW3. What bothers me the most with accepting the current version of the MY is the removal of ultrasonic sensors and the failure to deliver on the promise to return the Park Assist feature using Tesla Vision. Visibility for nearby objects is poor in the MY, so I believe Park Assist is important. I am leaning toward going ahead because I am price sensitive, but I know it will bother me if the Tesla Vision approach never achieves parity with the performance of the ultrasonic sensors.

Last edited:
What electric car alternative to Model Y LR at that price range do you think is the best overall?
I don't know if best is an easy question to answer. The Super charger network is why I am buying my 3rd Tesla and I hope in 3 years the other networks catch up. Car wise, Kia and Hyundai are making fast charging electric cars that use to get the Federal Tax credit, but now they don't, so their demand has dropped. They make a decent car, that has features we wish Tesla put in our MY, heads up displays, CarPlay, rear traffic warning, cooled seats. etc.. Volvo, VW (I have not driven a ID4 but like the look of the IDBuzz) are others at this price point. This is one persons opinion and for everyone who likes/agrees there will be 1 who thinks I'm full of @#$@ for thinking Tesla isn't the best thing on the planet.... but try to get a hold of a service center, drop in and ask for them to look at your car...mine is 50 miles away but i pass 4 Kia dealers, and the same can be said for all the others brands. Tesla needs to step up their customer service game 1000% to make those who spend 50-100k on a car feel like they matter, not one of us can say they feel like tesla makes them feel like they matter. That could be their down fall, when everyone else makes better ranged cars, then why will tesla matter?

I don't know if best is an easy question to answer. The Super charger network is why I am buying my 3rd Tesla and I hope in 3 years the other networks catch up. Car wise, Kia and Hyundai are making fast charging electric cars that use to get the Federal Tax credit, but now they don't, so their demand has dropped. They make a decent car, that has features we wish Tesla put in our MY, heads up displays, CarPlay, rear traffic warning, cooled seats. etc.. Volvo, VW (I have not driven a ID4 but like the look of the IDBuzz) are others at this price point. This is one persons opinion and for everyone who likes/agrees there will be 1 who thinks I'm full of @#$@ for thinking Tesla isn't the best thing on the planet.... but try to get a hold of a service center, drop in and ask for them to look at your car...mine is 50 miles away but i pass 4 Kia dealers, and the same can be said for all the others brands. Tesla needs to step up their customer service game 1000% to make those who spend 50-100k on a car feel like they matter, not one of us can say they feel like tesla makes them feel like they matter. That could be their down fall, when everyone else makes better ranged cars, then why will tesla matter?
I'm not likely going to even using the super charging network. All of my charging will be from home. I am interested in some of the other brands, but there's always something or multiple things that are weird about the competitors. I would appreciate the smoothest riding experience and I understand that tesla are known for a more sporty feeling, but that's the only thing I really see as a negative compared to competitors as far as I'm aware. The Ioniq has weird clunky buttons that aren't even used like the two navigational buttons side by side that do the same thing that go to an outdated, not used map. Also the availability is none, and the mark-up is high. The ignition button thing looks like a stupid high end car type button that is just silly as ****. And the phone app functionality just doesn't compare to Tesla.

What is actually clearly a better electric vehicle than the Tesla Model Y? I am totally open to not taking delivery to the Tesla, but I don't see anything better in this price range. Just name one so we can have a conversation about actual pros and cons.

Last edited:
Hi all, just got assigned a VIN for my MYLR in deep blue metallic color. VIN decoder reveals that it will be from Fremont despite my location being on the east coast. My first order was actually for a MSM from Austin and I opted to reject the vehicle on some build quality issues. After some more thought, changed color to DBM and was just assigned a new VIN.

There are a couple of things on my mind right now that are making me reconsider if I should go through with this or not.

HW4 is coming. But when? When will it be introduced into the model y? Will it first come out in the S and X, and then when Juniper happens late 2024 will the Y finally get HW4? Or will it be sooner than that? Will their build update actually cut costs of the car and keep the current price about where it's at, further depreciating a current 2023 MY? Is now actually a pretty bad time to pull the trigger?

What do you all think?
If you’re waiting for an Austin build with 4680s and HW4, don’t. The 4680s are lower density than 2170s, first HW4s likely to go on CyberTrucks and latest price drop may not stick around for long. Bird in the hand cliché fits here. Just IMHO.

When I ordered my MYLR in Jan 2021 I was worried that the 4680 battery cell was gonna come out the month after my delivery and make my new vehicle obsolete. Just sayin. Also someone mentioned loss of resale value; I've never seen a sale listing that mentions which hardware version a vehicle has. EVs are still new to most people; I don't think the average consumer is nearly as concerned about these things as we are on a Tesla forum. They just wanna know the range and how fast it can go.

When I ordered my MYLR in Jan 2021 I was worried that the 4680 battery cell was gonna come out the month after my delivery and make my new vehicle obsolete. Just sayin. Also someone mentioned loss of resale value; I've never seen a sale listing that mentions which hardware version a vehicle has. EVs are still new to most people; I don't think the average consumer is nearly as concerned about these things as we are on a Tesla forum. They just wanna know the range and how fast it can go.
That’s tesla owners for you lol. My battery isn’t the newest so, I don’t want it. It pretty much sums up how we are. Lol.

Oh your car has the xxx battery? My TESLA has the new battery.

Yes I did, in March.
Cool. The Y is now cheaper and HW4 is shipping. Sorry....LOL

If it makes you feel better, we are in the same boat. I took delivery in Feb. Still much much better than buying one last year.

If it makes you feel better, we are in the same boat. I took delivery in Feb. Still much much better than buying one last year.
While true, and I am waiting, it could take a while before all MY's have HW4. And from what I gather I can't place an order contingent on HW4, so I have to wait until virtually all new VINs have HW4.

Yep I'm well aware, Bummer!