Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take my car to PPF service right after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although it may come early, I'm scheduled to pick up my TM3 on Sunday, Sep 13th. I've already talked and texted with the manager at the shop where I plan to take my vehicle for PPF & ceramic coating. He recommends bringing it to him directly after I pick up my car. The reasoning is sound - i won't want to drive it around long enough to get any potential scratches, dings, debris, or rock chips which would increase the need for any paint correction prior to PPF. While at the same time, even after a thorough "checklist" before driving it off the Tesla Service Center lot, I'd like to make sure that it drives as expected for a day or two.
1) Should I just take it directly to the shop after I get my car and "suffer" an additional 3 days without my car?
2) Should I take my car home and drive it for at least a day (maybe 2) and make sure there isn't any other issue that's popped up that I may have missed from my "checklist" or that wasn't apparent until after a little driving... so that I can get a service appointment scheduled as soon as possible?

1) Take it to them. Suffer.
2) I would say spend the time doing inspection at delivery. Don't be bullied into quick sign and drive, and have a friend help. If they are paint related, you might not want to PPF the car if it can't be corrected.

Just my two cents. I drove my 3 cross country prior to PPF. One minor ding. Easily fixed. Other car I drove right to PPF install after pickup.

Reactions: swb2734
3 days? I’m assuming you’re doing the entire car? Such a waste of money. What are you people doing to your cars? I understand the front for rock chips but not the whole thing. I also don’t understand the obsession with Tesla owners and ceramic coating. Maybe it’s just lack of mods on an electric vehicle...

3 days? I’m assuming you’re doing the entire car? Such a waste of money. What are you people doing to your cars? I understand the front for rock chips but not the whole thing. I also don’t understand the obsession with Tesla owners and ceramic coating. Maybe it’s just lack of mods on an electric vehicle...
I’m doing a full frontal paint protection, and then ceramic coating in the entire car. The installer said 3 days max but most likely 2 days. This is not a waste of money. This protection for the paint on my vehicle from debris and the extreme Texas heat and sun, as I live in an apartment complex and don’t have a garage.
But if I had wanted snarky judgement for replies, I would have posted it that section of Tesla motors had it existed. Don’t reply if you’re not going to be helpful. Thanks.