Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take out a loan or pay with cash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A RWD will cost me around 54k after tax assuming the new ev credits don't apply. I make 85k a year and will have around 100k in savings by the time I get the car. Loan means I'll pay more, but cash means my savings basically get cut in half. Loan or cash?

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3
At your income level—I would get a cheaper car and keep your savings. 100k savings is a GREAT starting point for nest egg if you invest it correctly. Especially if you plan on letting it grow over decades.

But if a Tesla is non-negotiable, then maybe finance part of the vehicle cost and structure the loan so you can eat the monthly payment without taking a huge hit to the rest of your monthly budget/lifestyle (and most importantly—your savings rate). Cut back on frivolous parts of your life if needed.

I would note that interest rates are climbing rapidly right now, and those rate hikes alone could swing your monthly payment by $100+/mo in worst case. Buyer beware.

Upvote 0