Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take out a loan or pay with cash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A RWD will cost me around 54k after tax assuming the new ev credits don't apply. I make 85k a year and will have around 100k in savings by the time I get the car. Loan means I'll pay more, but cash means my savings basically get cut in half. Loan or cash?

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3
The decision has nothing to do with the car. Specifics matter, but generally a 54k loan at 4% for 4 years will cost you ~$4.5k over those 4 years.

- can you invest that 54k and make more than $4.5k in that same 4years?

- can you absorb losing 1/2 your savings over those 4 years? IE, any other big purchases or investments such as real estate coming up in that 4 years?

Upvote 0
Paying cash is guaranteed interest ($) saved. Investing the money is no guarantee, and the pain in the markets is nowhere near over.

Buying a house? You may or may not need the cash - but the amount of credit extended could limit the purchase. The housing market may start a freefall, so if you were thinking of a house it'll be a buyers market soon (unlike depreciating cars).

Living debt free is complete freedom, although not as easy as it seems. Digging holes early makes that much, much more difficult.

Upvote 0
The decision has nothing to do with the car. Specifics matter, but generally a 54k loan at 4% for 4 years will cost you ~$4.5k over those 4 years.

- can you invest that 54k and make more than $4.5k in that same 4years?

- can you absorb losing 1/2 your savings over those 4 years? IE, any other big purchases or investments such as real estate coming up in that 4 years?
This^^

Upvote 0
A RWD will cost me around 54k after tax assuming the new ev credits don't apply.
How are you getting to 54k on a RWD? Can you go without Enhanced Autopilot and have them turn it on later (presumably at the same price)?

Can you wait the four months until 2023, at which point the EV tax credit SHOULD apply, even at 54k. That's a cool 7.5k off the top, and probably even justifies lots of Ubers or rental cars until 2023.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Upvote 0
A RWD will cost me around 54k after tax assuming the new ev credits don't apply. I make 85k a year and will have around 100k in savings by the time I get the car. Loan means I'll pay more, but cash means my savings basically get cut in half. Loan or cash?
you probably shouldn't drive a $54k vehicle when you make $85k / year... savings are super important and congrats on having already saved $100k. I would definitely not advise to cut your savings in 1/2 with a (usually) depreciating asset or take out a very high interest loan. Plenty of EVs can be had for less or get a ICE vehicle until prices have normalized.

Upvote 0
While interest rates are much higher than they were, they're not onerous. Also, the market has fallen a tremendous amount, and if you're young, this is the time to invest. Can your investments beat the interest rate you'd be paying? For me, it's a no-brainer, borrow for the car, and invest the cash. To be honest, at your income level, I'd consider something cheaper. If you don't take long roadtrips, I'd think about a Bolt. Save more to put in the market

Upvote 0
*NOT* if you make $85k a year... jeeze... recommending a $65k vehicle plus tax (once you add FSD) for someone making $85k / year. that's a super unhealthy ratio...

Im reasonably certain that the post from @UncertainTimes was a sarcastic one. I also dont take posts like the one from this OP too seriously since its another in a line of:

"brand new poster who created an account to make this post on a fairly controversial topic ("should I pay cash for this 60k car when I make 85k a year?") designed to "get conversation going". Where the poster creates an account to make the post, but doesnt actually log back in to check on the thread they started.

Upvote 0
Im reasonably certain that the post from @UncertainTimes was a sarcastic one. I also dont take posts like the one from this OP too seriously since its another in a line of:

"brand new poster who created an account to make this post on a fairly controversial topic ("should I pay cash for this 60k car when I make 85k a year?") designed to "get conversation going". Where the poster creates an account to make the post, but doesnt actually log back in to check on the thread they started.
This is considered a controversial topic lol? You act like I've abandoned the thread for a week. It's only been half a day. Chill out, mod.

Anyway, I've decided to wait and see if any part of the new ev tax credit will apply before purchasing.

Upvote 0
This is considered a controversial topic lol? You act like I've abandoned the thread for a week. It's only been half a day. Chill out, mod.

Anyway, I've decided to wait and see if any part of the new ev tax credit will apply before purchasing.

"give me financial advice on purchasing a 60k car when I make 85k a year" is a type of topic that always draws lots of discussion about financial responsibility, etc etc, so, yeah actually.

Upvote 0
Can you afford the payments on a 4-5 year note? If so, how disciplined are you? Pay cash to save the interest and have the peace of mind of not having a payment. Put the equivalent of the payment in savings/investing every month. If not, you shouldn't consider it since it would take more than 4-5 years to rebuild the original amount.
Do you have any long-term investments for retirement? If the $100K is all you have NO WAY you should take from it

PS: internet car forums aren't the best place for investment advice, mine included 🙂

Upvote 0
Do you have a car now? Is it a wants or needs? How long you plan to keep the car? Spending half of your life savings on a depreciating car is a lot ... Cash in your pocket is king, I will avoid buying new or used car unnecessarily especially at this time. Interesting thing is millionaires drive simple and cheap car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0