Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I talk my wife out of an X and into a Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Plood

Plood, not Plaid?
Feb 12, 2022
Plano, TX
I'm posting this in the Y forum in hopes owners will give me good reasons to save $60k and get a Y. I'm a recent Model S owner (replaced two-door coupe because of back doors and car seats for kids)

Wife priorities:
1. Big enough for a rear-facing car seat behind driver. Child seat is imported from Europe and adjusts on rails for long-legged 5-year-old. MBZ 350GLE is adequate. My Model S isn't (but fine for one kid behind passenger, and future forward facing behind driver). That 6-position real third row in the X is appealing for when family visits, but the Y back row might take a forward facing 7-year old and do the job. Shoulder and head room are not a concern for this family car.
2. Safety. Both presumably excellent, but mass has no equal.
3. Image. X has cachet and rarity. Y is more pedestrian design.

My priorities:
1. X is nearly double the price.
2. Y gets the slight performance nod. (I'm a P100d owner and Plaid is not a consideration.)
3. Happy wife (should be #1, but note that long term financial security is also "happy wife.") I agree with her on safety and image.

Other factors.
  • Going all-electric for the family means that a long family drive trip (Texas to Florida) is more constrained.
  • We keep cars for a long time if we're happy with them.
  • Gotta test the yoke. A test drive of each would be nice.

I wanted a Model 3, however with 3 kiddos and potential guests we opted into the Model Y LR 7 seater. For the price, I think we all felt that it was a good bargain. It also has an option for the Performance Package which I am looking into getting, but just by itself when I test drove it, it was pretty quick so daddy will be happy with it too.

I wanted a Model 3, however with 3 kiddos and potential guests we opted into the Model Y LR 7 seater. For the price, I think we all felt that it was a good bargain. It also has an option for the Performance Package which I am looking into getting, but just by itself when I test drove it, it was pretty quick so daddy will be happy with it too.
Yeah you could always add the acceleration boost too if you need more speed for yourself :) and keep the comfortable wheels and cheaper brakes for the family.

Reactions: remz3
My priorities:
1. X is nearly double the price.
2. Y gets the slight performance nod. (I'm a P100d owner and Plaid is not a consideration.)
3. Happy wife (should be #1, but note that long term financial security is also "happy wife.") I agree with her on safety and image.

Other factors.
  • Going all-electric for the family means that a long family drive trip (Texas to Florida) is more constrained.
  • We keep cars for a long time if we're happy with them.
  • Gotta test the yoke. A test drive of each would be nice.

This. #3 should be on top.

However, at the end of the day, this is about financials for you not so much for your wife. If you are seriously concerned about dropping $120k that would impact long term financials, then you probably shouldn't..... Can you take the delta and invest to make more money in the long run if you get a model Y? Absolutely, it's always the smarter decision. Personally I would not do it for the very same reason but I'm not the type to buy cars for image factor.

Reactions: Casss and Plood
My previous vehicle was a long range X. My Performance Y is great & very fun to drive but the X was amazing. I miss the windshield, the auto doors (full hands w coffee etc the model X is like a gentleman opening the door for you & Im just now getting used to having to reach to close my own door!) & if I still had kids in car seats the FW doors make loading up kids in car seats so easy.

The X is a very different experience than the Y in my opinion. For a road trip the X would be much nicer w air suspension & a bit more spacious for people & things. (Though the Y is surprisingly very close in spaciousness. I think the structure required for the FW doors takes up a lot of room.)

Prob only thing Id be wondering about is the yoke…test driving / test fitting your car seats would be ideal for sure.

And…you need to decide if the FW doors are just too much or really awesome. I think they are awesome but my family hated the attention you get every time you open them.

"Y gets the slight performance nod."
Pretty sure the base X is significantly quicker than the base Y (7-seater is not an option in Y Performance).

The X is superior regarding ride softness, interior space, and creature comforts. Whether that is worth the $$ is up to your budget.

Both are great cars. If I could afford it, I'd probably have an X (I can't afford it).

Reactions: iamnid
I'm posting this in the Y forum in hopes owners will give me good reasons to save $60k and get a Y. I'm a recent Model S owner (replaced two-door coupe because of back doors and car seats for kids)

Is the wife's happiness not worth $60K?! :mad:

Kiddings aside, it sounds like the extra cost is not an overriding concern, but something you don't mind saving if there is a good enough reason. Going from a MS P100D to a MY could feel like a step down, at least until the Y gets a good refresh. If you're willing to accept that, then there are a lot of good reasons for the Y - longer range, less cost-of-ownership long term, for example.

Reactions: Skateboardgolf
Get the Long Range Model Y (7 seat if you feel you need the 3rd row seating.) Get a minivan. For family trips nothing beats the box design of a minivan. A Y and a minivan would cost less than an X.

Minivan?? You forgot about OP's #3 priority from the wife: image :)

In all seriousness, the Y and X are apples and oranges comparison. If money's not a concern and it's all about making the wife happy, go with the X. I've had the LR Y for almost 2 years now and absolutely love it. Sure the X has better suspensions, roomier, and more "rare", but it's also well over $100K depending on which trim you get. Is that price difference worth the "image" and making your wife happy? Only you can answer that. :)

Sounds like money is not an issue for you. So, give her whatever she wants or get new car set for $100-$300 that fits the car. Buying/choosing the car $60k-$110k based on $100-$300 car seat is just silly.
Car seats are rear facing as long as possible (past age 5) and $1000 each imported from Europe where superior options are available. Not negotiable. The car must fit the safest seat.
Well, do you want falcon doors or save 60k? If you're thinking of saving the money, don't let the wife test drive the X.
This is the most clearly persuasive point on the matter. If the X is strongly differentiated with luxury feel that goes beyond size and emotion, then it will be the no-brainer you suggest, for me as well.
Is the wife's happiness not worth $60K?! :mad:

Kiddings aside, it sounds like the extra cost is not an overriding concern, but something you don't mind saving if there is a good enough reason. Going from a MS P100D to a MY could feel like a step down, at least until the Y gets a good refresh. If you're willing to accept that, then there are a lot of good reasons for the Y - longer range, less cost-of-ownership long term, for example.
Also helpful. I like to say that I'm like most people. I can afford "anything" but not "everything", and "afford" doesn't make it fiscally responsible.

Thanks to all. I'm happy to hear dissenting opinions that suggest the Y would still be an appealing choice to a discerning driver of a 2020 midsize Mercedes SUV.

@Plood just to add to the fray, one comment I noticed comparing the X versus Y,
is that the X has a softer air suspension, while the X has a more harsh suspension.

This might be something eventualy to check, best by driving both, in case this can be
an issue if the road's condition in your area are not the best in your area.

Otherwise, saving $60k for college would certainly something to considere.

Reactions: jboy210
Car seats are rear facing as long as possible (past age 5) and $1000 each imported from Europe where superior options are available. Not negotiable. The car must fit the safest seat.

This is the most clearly persuasive point on the matter. If the X is strongly differentiated with luxury feel that goes beyond size and emotion, then it will be the no-brainer you suggest, for me as well.

Also helpful. I like to say that I'm like most people. I can afford "anything" but not "everything", and "afford" doesn't make it fiscally responsible.

Thanks to all. I'm happy to hear dissenting opinions that suggest the Y would still be an appealing choice to a discerning driver of a 2020 midsize Mercedes SUV.
It’s very hard to take this whole thread serious… it almost comes across as a humble brag? I mean, you’re comparing apples to oranges and then adding that your a discerning driver of a MB 350GLE? I hate to sound rude, but this whole thread is mind blowing. Just get the X so you and your wife can sleep comfortably at night knowing the neighbors won’t think anything less of you (or will they?). 🙄

It’s very hard to take this whole thread serious… it almost comes across as a humble brag? I mean, you’re comparing apples to oranges and then adding that your a discerning driver of a MB 350GLE? I hate to sound rude, but this whole thread is mind blowing. Just get the X so you and your wife can sleep comfortably at night knowing the neighbors won’t think anything less of you (or will they?). 🙄
You seem nice.

I had assumed that the Y board was the place to find Y enthusiasts to help me save $60k, and some have proven helpful, in an unexpected way. But some seem bothered that someone else can contemplate an X, or own a Mercedes*. The newsflash is that some people buy an X without thinking about the price. Not me, but I don't let them bother me.

Would the X board have a few who sneered at me for considering such a lowly cheap potion and giving a second thought to cost?

You seem nice.

I had assumed that the Y board was the place to find Y enthusiasts to help me save $60k, and some have proven helpful, in an unexpected way. But some seem bothered that someone else can contemplate an X, or own a Mercedes*. The newsflash is that some people buy an X without thinking about the price. Not me, but I don't let them bother me.

Would the X board have a few who sneered at me for considering such a lowly cheap potion and giving a second thought to cost?
The reality is that the model X costs $60k more for very real reasons and literally only you can determine if they matter to you. Anyone in the position to buy a model X (where the money is not a concern) literally would never be trying to justify saving the money by buying a Y unless it was for their kid. The two cars are vastly different. In all seriousness, get the X if you can financially afford it and you will be rewarded.

If you can afford a Model X (my definition of "afford" is that it would not make a dent to your everyday expenses and constitute a relatively small percentage of your overall net worth), there's no reason to look at the Model Y, especially if your wife prefers the X. There is a reason why the X is almost double the price of the Y. Of course, if you test drive the X and Y and find that the Y is the superior car for your wife's needs, that would be great since you'd save $60k. But on paper there shouldn't be any comparison between the current X & Y.

Reactions: Suns_PSD