Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I talk my wife out of an X and into a Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an older X, my wife has an almost brand new Y. Prior to her getting a Y, we only needed one car - so she's had experience driving both, as have I. I can say without reservation that she and I both believe that her 2021 Y is much better than my 2017 X. Reasoning is below; I will attempt to avoid things like "charging speed" and "software/AP" because I'd imagine those are better in all newer Teslas:

- The Model Y handles much better than the Model X. My X handles like a boat compared to her Y, which feels like it's on rails. Her car is faster and more responsive.
- The Model X FW doors are conversation starters in the worst possible way. I can't use my backseat when I'm in a rush, because someone will almost always come up to me to start a conversation about them, then I have to be the rude one. She doesn't have that problem.
- The Model Y has been functionally the same size as the X from the inside. The technical size difference hasn't made an actual difference in our experience.

The only thing I like about the X that the Y can't match is the windshield. For the extra $60k, all you're really getting is a bit (a little bit) more legroom and an awesome windshield. But there's no way I'd spend $60,000 more just to be able to feel like I'm in a cockpit. If/when I'm up for a replacement on my car, I'll get an electric truck, a Plaid Model S, or the highest trim Y - a new X would come in fourth place.

$1k car seat is safer than $100 car seat. Sure.
IMG_0498.jpeg

This is what $2000 worth of car seats looks like. Aluminum frame, adjustable position to enable years more comfortable rear facing. Extra side energy absorber. Forward foot rests on floor for rigid three point support with rear lever securing position.

Maybe for 10x the cost it has only a 10% better crash protection, but I'd rather our kids in a "Mercedes" seat than a Chinese Yugo from Target.

Reactions: Jersey_guy_202
Can someone please explain exactly what you are gaining going to the X vs. the Y?
To my untrained eye, they look virtually identical in functionality just with more range in the X.
Well, watching this Sandy Muro video A Tour of the Tesla Model X ,
the second row seats of the Model X (with 6 seat configuration) seems to be as confortable than the front seats.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
View attachment 798900

This is what $2000 worth of car seats looks like. Aluminum frame, adjustable position to enable years more comfortable rear facing. Extra side energy absorber. Forward foot rests on floor for rigid three point support with rear lever securing position.

Maybe for 10x the cost it has only a 10% better crash protection, but I'd rather our kids in a "Mercedes" seat than a Chinese Yugo from Target.
Sorry to break your pride, but $100 car seats have same crash ratings as your $1k car seats. Also, those anti bounce features on the seat base are very common as well as aluminum frame construction of the car seat and side protection which is glorified foam padding on the side.
I agree that you get more fancier materials and design, but functionality and safety wise, they work and protect the same way and degree.

Sorry to break your pride, but $100 car seats have same crash ratings as your $1k car seats. Also, those anti bounce features on the seat base are very common as well as aluminum frame construction of the car seat and side protection which is glorified foam padding on the side.
I agree that you get more fancier materials and design, but functionality and safety wise, they work and protect the same way and degree.
Your hallucination that you have broken my pride is noted.

I’m glad that you’re happy with your $100 car seats. Good luck.

Reactions: Bassmanbrett
We had a similar debate before getting our Model Y (minus the car seat angle). My wife was initially leaning towards a Model X while I really had a tough time justifying the fact that it was pretty much double the price for seemingly little else than the falcon wing doors.

The two things that changed her mind were test driving both back to back (avoid the MYP for this comparison as it has a significantly harsher ride and will not help your case) and actually sitting in the second row on both cars. The Model Y feels significantly more “open” in the second row thanks to the lack of falcon wing hardware overhead. I’m pretty sure the rear hatch opening is also bigger.

Basically the X is somewhat bigger on the outside but somehow feels smaller in the inside, especially in the rear 2/3s. The falcon wing doors are cool, but unless you think they are worth 40 - 50k it will be hard to justify the price difference.

At some point we got an X as a loaner overnight which gave us the opportunity to really spend some time with it. If anything it only further convinced us we made the right call buying the Y.

The back seat room was the deal breaker for me. I'm 6'3" and my kids are going to be taller. I placed the 'X' drivers seat to where I wanted it and then hopped in the back to see if I fit and I barely "squeezed" in. The hardbacks of the front seats didn't help either. And the headroom was better in the Y.
No disrespect to the 'X' owner's but the extra cost wasn't worth it to me.

If you’re more concerned with image, why not consider an MB EQS580 at the top trim? It has a lot of conveniences and has auto presenting doors just like a Model X. If you have a chauffeur, the rear seats are also extremely comfortable and you have multiple screens and a screened remote in the back. I just wish they had foot rests. The model X Plaid is really nice but the features/amenities of the EQS580 blow it out of the water. Model Y is for those of us that are more frugal, minimalistic, and don’t have as much disposable income that’s not allotted to investments.

Having driven both a 2021 MY (I've owned 2 2021 MYs) and a 2022 MX (friend's car), it's like comparing a Honda Civic (MY) to a Mercedes (MX) in regards to ride quality, cabin noise, features, range, charge speed, handling (refresh MX handles so much better than the previous version), height, AC seats, adjusting ride height (set by location), screens ( There are 3 screens in the car all much faster), sound quality of stereo...It's almost better in every single category. The LR MX is faster the the MYP.

I will say I prefer the seat padding in the 3/Y over the X/S, but everything else it's not close. It feels like it's twice the cost when you are driving one.

The MY is a great car, but without the tech is a pretty low end car as far as cabin quietness, quality, and features. Since getting our 2022 MS, we rarely take the MY out anymore. It's just a lot more harsh to drive...and it's slow.