Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I test drive before delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted a test drive too but they didn't have any Model 3's at the time, so I test drove a Model Y just to get a feel for how a Tesla works / drives.

After ordering the Model 3 I still wanted to know what the seats and sight lines would be like, so I stopped into a different showroom that had a Model 3 on the floor and I was able to get in and check it out. This worked out well for me because I didn't need to drive it.

All I can say is that, by far, the seats in my 3 (and, by extensions X -- same seat frame) are the most comfortable I've ever owned. And that includes Cadillacs with "plush" leather.

These, I don't mind doing long road trips in.

I don't know what year your dad's S is -- the earliest ones had the very worst seats ever. They were like a park bench, without the birdcrap.
The 2nd generation were a huge improvement.
Now, the 3rd generation seats (2019-ish and forward) are the same exact frame as the Model 3/Y seats, just different padding and cover. Fabulous, IMO.

Others will disagree with me, and that's perfectly OK. All butts are shaped differently!
My first test drive in a Model 3 LR (summer 2021), I found the seats to be rather uncomfortable, even after the 15 minute test drive. That car had the white seats.

My 2022 Model 3 Performance has the black seats, and I found them more comfortable on my nearly 100-mile trip home after taking delivery, though not as good as the "Next-Gen" seats in my previous P85D. Both the M3P and P85D were better than the first-gen seats in my 2014 S 85.

I don't think there's an actual difference between the the material color, the LR vs P seats, or 2021 vs 2022 models.

I think it's a matter of not taking the time on the test drive to get the seat adjusted correctly for my heiney. (Test drives were very limited in duration and I wanted to drive, rather than mess around with the controls.)

Reactions: tm1v2
Tesla showrooms can arrange for a 24 hr test drive. I highly recommend setting this up, that way you can spend hours in the car and really familiarizing yourself with the vehicle over time. There's a recent reddit thread where someone made a very detailed pros/cons list about his Tesla, and half of those items are like "quality is worse than BMW" and "don't like center screen." I don't understand complaining about these things after you buy it - how did you not know or consider these items before you shelled out $50k?

Reactions: GeoG
I ordered my 2022 M3P with estimated delivery at end of March.

I have researched the M3P for over a year and felt good about my decision but the question I have is this.

I can schedule a test drive of a Model 3 (Probably not the Performance) next week. Should I test drive the car or just wait until I receive my own and experience it for the first time in my own car.

What are your thoughts?
You should have considered test driving prior to ordering in my opinion. Why worry about test driving after ordering unless you want to familiarize yourself with the controls and get a feel for the vehicle. I suggest you watch a ton of YouTube videos, there are good and bad ones that lists the pros and cons. Take everything with a grain of salt. Its a different car for sure. I love mine.
Let us know how you like yours. Cheers!!!

and half of those items are like "quality is worse than BMW"

These comparisons drive me batty. Quality is subjective. What does quality actually mean? Is it the sound the door makes, or tire wear? Is it how quickly the cabin warms, or how fast it accelerates? Is it how the silkscreening on the dashboard buttons wear, or how bright the overhead light gets? Is it the visibility of the side view mirrors, or the bracket for the license plate?

Quality means something different to everyone. For example - in the past, I’d never consider anything but a lease on a BMW, because I wouldn’t want to own it out of warranty due to my own perception of BMW’s power train. That’s not a true measure of quality — it’s my perception.

No matter what Consumer Reports or some rando talking head on YouTube says, it’s not an objective measure.

So when I hear things like this, I tend to discard it out of hand.

As someone said to me the other day, there’s no perfect car. If there were, Rolls Royce wouldn’t have mechanics.

My 2022 Model 3 Performance has the black seats, and I found them more comfortable on my nearly 100-mile trip home after taking delivery, though not as good as the "Next-Gen" seats in my previous P85D. Both the M3P and P85D were better than the first-gen seats in my 2014 S 85.
@BigNick I'm with you on all of that, the Model 3 seats are (much) better than the original Model S front seats, but not as good as the "next-gen" ones. The Model 3 seats feel a little small in all dimensions and the cushioning is borderline too soft. The next-gen S seats felt basically just right in every way. My favorite were ones spec'd with cloth in the middle - more grip, less slip.

I've read the new 2021+ Model S front seats are basically just a ventilated version of the Model 3 seats. That's disappointing if so, as I would consider that a downgrade from the "next-gen" seats.

I strongly recommend a test drive in a dealer car or as a second choice, with a friend; the dealer will know what a person new to the car neeeds to know to be safe and enjoy it. As others have mentioned, seats are very personal as are steering wheel settings, views around the car, acceleration (I have friends who have never had it out of chill mode and love the car), luggage space (huge, but easier to be impressed when you see it all in person). I can't imagine buying a car without having driven it.

Good luck, and I suspect you will enjoy it.

Personally I wish I’d hired / leased one for a decent period before ordering (At least a week when off work to get some good drives in). I wouldn’t have ordered one if I had done, I just had the usual 1/2hr test drive that’s the norm in UK🤷🏼‍♂️. I’ll be brutally honest and say after 2 months I’m 85% or so sure I made a mistake.

Some want to know if the partner will fit in the trunk, maybe you
dont have to drive to test it.

Here in New Jersey, they measure trunk sizes by body count.

1A0D51D0-D0F8-40CE-AFB3-04E246E4248E.jpeg

I ordered my 2022 M3P with estimated delivery at end of March.

I have researched the M3P for over a year and felt good about my decision but the question I have is this.

I can schedule a test drive of a Model 3 (Probably not the Performance) next week. Should I test drive the car or just wait until I receive my own and experience it for the first time in my own car.

What are your thoughts?
You should test drive. I ordered the model 3 RWD Dec 2021 after driving the 3 and Y. The car is so fast I did not get the Performance. It's fast enough :)