Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I test drive before delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be a hot take, but I didn't and I haven't on a number of cars.

I get a really good sense of ownership from my research, online communities, and usually I'm buying something with a sort of "enthusiast community", where people tend to share a lot details about their ownership experience. I've owned ~20 vehicles, and I've never been disappointed, and I'd never expect - and haven't experienced - some deal breaker out of left field.
I think because we are scrupulous buyers. All the cars I bought previously, I had already psychologically committed to --- the test drives were merely for positive confirmation/validation.

Most folks aren't and truly test drive to kick the tires

I think because we are scrupulous buyers. All the cars I bought previously, I had already psychologically committed to --- the test drives were merely for positive confirmation/validation.

Most folks aren't and truly test drive to kick the tires

Perfectly well said. :cool:

Personally I wish I’d hired / leased one for a decent period before ordering (At least a week when off work to get some good drives in). I wouldn’t have ordered one if I had done, I just had the usual 1/2hr test drive that’s the norm in UK🤷🏼‍♂️. I’ll be brutally honest and say after 2 months I’m 85% or so sure I made a mistake.

To be fair, it doesn’t really matter if you test drive or not (I did but regret not renting for a while). Elon’s minions will change it anyway so whatever you start with will be different after the first update🤣

Since this seems to be your SOP now, I'm being sincere when I ask: why you don't sell it? Especially in this market, you could easily break even, or might even a make a few bucks. If you're all in on an EV there are alternatives from Ford, VW, the new "twin" cars from Kia/Hyundai are getting excellent reviews.

Reactions: Xdama
Since this seems to be your SOP now, I'm being sincere when I ask: why you don't sell it? Especially in this market, you could easily break even, or might even a make a few bucks. If you're all in on an EV there are alternatives from Ford, VW, the new "twin" cars from Kia/Hyundai are getting excellent reviews.
If it were that simple I would. It’s leased so not that simple🤷🏼‍♂️

I ordered my 2022 M3P with estimated delivery at end of March.

I have researched the M3P for over a year and felt good about my decision but the question I have is this.

I can schedule a test drive of a Model 3 (Probably not the Performance) next week. Should I test drive the car or just wait until I receive my own and experience it for the first time in my own car.

What are your thoughts?
Yes test drive and drive the exact model & config you ordered. If tesla store doesn’t have it, rent the car for a day via Turo or other method . I rented all tesla Y specs, model 3 and Mach-e via Turo.

Have you checked your lease termination fee? For hoots, I did a couple of weeks ago, and it was negligible (like $80 or something silly). I mean, you'd be out anything you put down, but I'd just factor that into the operating costs for time you owned it.

Terminate, return, go shopping.
It’s leased through my company not personal, consequently I’d be running from the tax man which is something I’d rather avoid🤣. Gave me good tax breaks to do it that way but has major implications beyond the actual lease to start afresh.
Different horses for different courses and all that. I’d just advocate anyone moving from a traditional ICE to ANY EV not just Tesla tbf to take as many test drives for as long as possible. I have to live with my own mistake, whilst I accept a hell of a lot of people are happy with what they have, if I can help someone not make my mistake then happy days.

I truly appreciate everyone's input and as always, I learn new things every time I read comments.

I scheduled the test drive with my Tesla advisor and they let me drive a 2022 Model 3 Performance. They went through some of the basic operations with the show car inside the mall, handed me the key card, and told me where to find the Model 3 in the parking garage.

There was a handful of Tesla's charging which are there for customer test drives. I located car #5 and was ready for the experience. At first, I could not remove the charging handle and felt like an idiot. I was pressing the button but it would not disengage and then I realized the mirrors were folded in so the car was turned off. Once I used the key card to open the car, the charging handle came right out as it should.

I jumped in, adjusted the mirrors, seat, and steering wheel.

I need to say that I was terrified of messing this car up and I had no idea what the accelerator response would be like so I took it very easy. I made sure everything was in sport mode and pulled out of the parking garage.

The first thing I noticed is the silence. I know it's obvious but I have never been inside an EV and it just felt different. The steering was tight and the accelerator pedal was easy to use. I first drove the car inside some neighborhood streets and got used to the one foot driving. I got used to it very quickly and realized that all I had to do is ease off the accelerator as I approached a stop sign and it become second nature after 10 minutes.

I then took it on the larger streets and was amazed at all the details picked up by the center console. I can see vehicles, people, cones, lights, etc. Sometimes there were Matrix cars appearing and disappearing from the screen but that's understandable as it was a busy intersection.

Eventually, I reached a nice straight road with a stop sign. Nobody in front of me and no one behind me. It was time to see what all the fuss is about with "Instant" torque and the "amazing" acceleration.

SO I PUNCHED IT.

I woke up several seconds later after I started breathing again.

HOLLY CRAP!

My eyes were sucked to the back of my skull, my vision blurred, and I was lightheaded as all the blood left my brain and probably came out of my rear. During this time warp trance, I experienced the excitement and sheer TERROR. I don't know how I managed to keep the accelerator floored as I crapped my pants but I did not let off until I hit 70 MPH.

A minute later my stomach felt weird, my brain was finally getting blood back in it and then I just started laughing out loud like a mad man. My first thought once my brain had enough oxygen to think again was "What in the heck just happened".

Absolutely no way to explain that feeling to someone and now I understand why so many videos mention that it has to be experienced. Once I got over the shock, I continued to drive the car normally and truly enjoyed everything about it.

So it seems my money was well spent based on what I am looking for in a vehicle and I am excited to pick mine up at the end of March.

Thank you all again.

- Proximian

SO I PUNCHED IT.

I woke up several seconds later after I started breathing again.

HOLLY CRAP!

Thank you all again.

- Proximian
Haha there is almost nothing like it. I had never even been in a Tesla when I picked up my M3P since there was nowhere for me to test drive one. I didn't even floor it for a couple of days. The first time I did I hit my head on the headrest and it hurt all afternoon. The experience of that sudden impact of speed is something I've never gotten tired of lol

The experience of that sudden impact of speed is something I've never gotten tired of lol

I was going to say the same thing: it just never gets old. :D

I've had some fast cars, but the experience is totally different, in fact, I'd say the experience it most closely reminds me of, is a roller coaster with a magnetic launch (like the Velocicoaster, Hagrids at Universal, or Aerosmith in Disney, Top Thrill in ... well, you get it, and yes, we're coaster enthusiasts :D)

Reactions: DocHolliday

I've had some fast cars, but the experience is totally different, in fact, I'd say the experience it most closely reminds me of, is a roller coaster with a magnetic launch (like the Velocicoaster, Hagrids at Universal, or Aerosmith in Disney, Top Thrill in ... well, you get it, and yes, we're coaster enthusiasts :D)
Yes exactly. It is a different kind of fast. It's so instantly gratifying. I've owned other fast cars and driven even faster cars but there's really nothing like this.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
I ordered my 2022 M3P with estimated delivery at end of March.

I have researched the M3P for over a year and felt good about my decision but the question I have is this.

I can schedule a test drive of a Model 3 (Probably not the Performance) next week. Should I test drive the car or just wait until I receive my own and experience it for the first time in my own car.

What are your thoughts?
Yes, I'd test drive any car I'm buying no matter if it's $60k or $600. That being said, when I purchased my M3P, Tesla Honolulu didn't have an M3P available so I took what they had (LR). Needless to say, I felt the LR was a good benchmark and my M3P has exceeded most of my expectations.

This is how I've always described it. There is/was a Superman coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia CA that is the closest analog I can think of. Just instant acceleration out of the house.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX