Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I test drive before delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my 2022 M3P with estimated delivery at end of March.

I have researched the M3P for over a year and felt good about my decision but the question I have is this.

I can schedule a test drive of a Model 3 (Probably not the Performance) next week. Should I test drive the car or just wait until I receive my own and experience it for the first time in my own car.

What are your thoughts?

The new vehicles have a weird factory branch of code, then they get updated after delivery

Exactly - it's not worth thinking about, really. Once they merge back onto the main branch, sure. But don't take any version on new builds for anything other than what they are - a build for that particular car. It's easier if you think of it as "break in" firmware...

This might be a hot take, but I didn't and I haven't on a number of cars.

I get a really good sense of ownership from my research, online communities, and usually I'm buying something with a sort of "enthusiast community", where people tend to share a lot details about their ownership experience. I've owned ~20 vehicles, and I've never been disappointed, and I'd never expect - and haven't experienced - some deal breaker out of left field.

I guess there's some people that might have some potential physical and/or health related concern (for example, height, or like back issues).

I had a car shipped down to FL from the DC area, hadn't driven one, we traded the previous SUV on the existing one [at the time], stopped by the dealership on the way down to Orlando/Universal, swapped over our bags, and drove it (or the same model) for the first time the rest of the way :D

I mean, if you've got any concerns, and it's easy to do, I guess why not, but I wanted my first experience to be in the car I was going to own.

I have researched the M3P for over a year and felt good about my decision but the question I have is this.

I can schedule a test drive of a Model 3 (Probably not the Performance) next week. Should I test drive the car or just wait until I receive my own and experience it for the first time in my own car.

What are your thoughts?

My own thought is, its always a good thing to do. Perhaps you dont fit in the seat good, or your knee rubs the console or something, or you cant get the seating position comfortable, or you dont like the view from the drivers seat, etc.

Every product isnt for everyone. I would drive it, just to see if you can get comfortable in it, if nothing else.

Do it; arrange the test drive. You may find you love it at first sight. Then again, you may find something about the car that you can't reconcile with. When you are spending what amounts to the second or third costliest item in your life (after a house and education), you should be sure about it. If you will be test driving a non-Performance model, just think about how much better your car will be.

I rented a Model 3 through Turo several months before getting my car and it was totally worth the $675 that it cost for the weekend. There were some things about the car that I didn't like at first but since the car is constantly improving (in most cases) through software updates, a couple of them were corrected over time.

Test driving results are often determined by expectaions.

If you are looking to discover problems, you will find them. If you are looking to discover joy, you will find that as well.

In many small ways, the car you test ride will be different from the actual car you order.

What are your thoughts?

I'd go with a "yes, but..." answer.
I loved what I heard about Tesla when the M3 came out, but I decided to test drive first.
There were a lot of things I loved, but the regenerative breaking and having everything on the tablet screen threw me a bit, and I decided not to buy.
A friend later convinced me that I'd get used to all of that quickly, and I gave in and bought. He was right...I got used to it in a few hours, and now I love the features I wasn't too sure about then.
So yes, test drive...but remember that there are things in a Tesla that take some getting used to.

I opted not to test drive. My dad has an S so I already am familiar with some of the Tesla quirks. Screen based controls, regen, all that stuff. I already know the acceleration I'll be more than satisfied with. And it's not like I can really push the handling on a test drive anyway.

Big question mark for me is the seats. But I've yet to sit in a car where I was happy with the seats from the get go. Usually it takes a little bit for my body to adjust.

I opted not to test drive. My dad has an S so I already am familiar with some of the Tesla quirks. Screen based controls, regen, all that stuff. I already know the acceleration I'll be more than satisfied with. And it's not like I can really push the handling on a test drive anyway.

Big question mark for me is the seats. But I've yet to sit in a car where I was happy with the seats from the get go. Usually it takes a little bit for my body to adjust.

All I can say is that, by far, the seats in my 3 (and, by extensions X -- same seat frame) are the most comfortable I've ever owned. And that includes Cadillacs with "plush" leather.

These, I don't mind doing long road trips in.

I don't know what year your dad's S is -- the earliest ones had the very worst seats ever. They were like a park bench, without the birdcrap.
The 2nd generation were a huge improvement.
Now, the 3rd generation seats (2019-ish and forward) are the same exact frame as the Model 3/Y seats, just different padding and cover. Fabulous, IMO.

Others will disagree with me, and that's perfectly OK. All butts are shaped differently!

Reactions: EmOne and JohnnyMa
Take a test drive. See if someone on this board is local. If you were up here, I'd let you take mine out for a spin (even though it has a lot of issues.) There are several characteristics/quirks (IMHO, of course) that might affect whether you would fully enjoy the car or not. Someone mentioned the rear view. the rear deck sits up very high. There are several other things that I hate/are frustrating.

All I can say is that, by far, the seats in my 3 (and, by extensions X -- same seat frame) are the most comfortable I've ever owned. And that includes Cadillacs with "plush" leather.

These, I don't mind doing long road trips in.

I don't know what year your dad's S is -- the earliest ones had the very worst seats ever. They were like a park bench, without the birdcrap.
The 2nd generation were a huge improvement.
Now, the 3rd generation seats (2019-ish and forward) are the same exact frame as the Model 3/Y seats, just different padding and cover. Fabulous, IMO.

Others will disagree with me, and that's perfectly OK. All butts are shaped differently!
I think his are the 2nd gen seats, not 100% sure. Not the absolute most comfortable seats I've sat in, but far from the worst. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with the model 3 seats. As I noted above, a test drive isn't enough for me to get a full impression of that anyway. Either I'll get used to them and enjoy them, or I won't. If I can't get over it - these cars hold their resale value stupidly well, it won't be a big deal to unload it. If I am otherwise in love with the car, I'll just bite the bullet and get some recaros or something.

Reactions: dmurphy

I like them quite a bit too, and I've had a pretty wide range of seats to compare them against. They're just enough cushiness, support, size, have good adjustment, quick heaters - I find some "sporty" brand seats a little stiff, and for the street, I don't want some 8" bolstered Alcantara F&F seat :D