Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I trade-in Model Y for 2022 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have a 2021 Model Y long range, and I reserved a Tesla Model S last year before the $10K price increase. I got an email that Model S is ready for delivery. I am debating if I should get the S or not, because I like the size of the Y and also I will have to pay around $500 more each month for the S. Do you guys think it is worth it? And also in terms of comfort, how much more comfortable is the S compared to Y? (I use the car mainly for driving to work, around 1-1:30 hrs round trip 3-4 times a week.) Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I have a 2021 Model Y long range, and I reserved a Tesla Model S last year before the $10K price increase. I got an email that Model S is ready for delivery. I am debating if I should get the S or not, because I like the size of the Y and also I will have to pay around $500 more each month for the S. Do you guys think it is worth it? And also in terms of comfort, how much more comfortable is the S compared to Y? (I use the car mainly for driving to work, around 1-1:30 hrs round trip 3-4 times a week.) Thank you!
It’s worth it for the increase in ride quality alone, IMO.

The hatch has ample space and, in fact, feels more spacious than my previous MY.

The trade-off is the low-to-the-road ride height and the stupid yoke. If you’re okay with those things, I would do it.

I think you should ask yourself one simple question: "Do I really need it?".

If your personal finances allow you to spend an additional 500$/month on a car AND if you don't need the extra cargo space provided by the Y AND if you can get a decent resale price for your MY AND if you really feel you would be more confortable in the MS... then go for it, life is short.

Otherwise... my advice would be to stick with your MY.

I was really close to getting a Y performance... literally the car was being delivered to me (with fender misalignment issues...of course) where I stopped my purchase, forfeited my deposit and went for the S Plaid.... and three vins later, I got an S plaid. Why pay WAY more for an S? Apart from the finances factor, my main consideration was comfort( air suspension)/ power(lots of it)/ flexibility( vehicle suitable for dog hauling to driving it to a formal event) After talking to ppf guys, tint guys who worked on the car, they all said hands down the quality of the S is the best amongst the Tesla models... Coming from a Porsche sport turismo, I felt this was the closest thing to it and flexible enough for my lifestyle. Dont get me wrong, the Y should be great as well with room and versatility. But, to me, visual appeal and the car being able to be visually versatile for different functions I participate in was the deciding factor. Oh, and the yoke I am getting the hang of which I believe shouldnt be a deal breaker...