Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Trade In My 2017 Model S 75 for an AWD Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove the performance Model 3 last week. If anything, I think it's too fast. My 5.5 second to 60 Model S is fast enough for me. I would like to have a discount on my auto insurance for having the "slow Tesla", though. The overall driving experience was similar to the Model S, except for the acceleration. I definitely prefer the dash and screen layout of the Model S.

But for about what I could sell my car for, I could get a brand new car without any miles, new warranty, longer range and AWD. I do get a week or so of snow every winter where I live. On paper it looks like a no brainer decision. The Model 3 is a great car and I wouldn't even be considering the Model S if I was currently buying a Tesla. Mainly because of the price difference. I prefer the looks of the Model S, it's larger size, and the hatchback, but these aren't deal breakers for not buying the Model 3. I know I'm weird, but the better air filtration is sort of important to me, also.

So for those of you that have, or had, a fairly new Model S, and now own a Model 3, is this a no-brainer decision? Should I sell my S and getting a 3?

I'm wondering the same thing with 2017 90D - feeling like I can sell it and buy a Model 3 Performance and even keep a couple thousand dollars. Love the thought of faster, better (newer) MCU, and I can buy FSD at a discount. Only downside for me right now is that I think it'll be harder to fit the dog in when we do roadtrips.

I feel the S is a better road car. On the other hand the range Is not as good so maybe not. I feel the S is outdated however and absolutely overpriced and I would never consider owning one out of warranty.

Overall I would get the piece of mind and get the 3 instead. I don’t own the S but drove it on several occasions. I own the 3 and overall very pleased with reliability so far. It feels to me tesla treats model 3 owners more fairly.

I drive a 2016 S75 and the lease ends in October. I leased it for 24 months with Model 3 in mind, and I’m looking forward to the transition when I take delivery in a few weeks.

That said, if I owned my S, I’d definitely keep it. I don’t think the 3 (and I’ve driven one) is so much better than the S for my needs that I’d make the switch. I’d wait a few years until the autonomous hardware suite is closer to being ready for FSD, no more side mirrors, etc. Maybe that’s Model Y, I don’t know. There’s also the depreciation factor, which is strongest in the first few years after new car purchase; you’ve already incurred that, and would just be signing up for it again with Model 3.

PS I love my Model S.

Reactions: RAVAGESofTIME
The "3" is more nimble and enjoyable to drive
I I know I'm weird, but the better air filtration is sort of important to me, also.

Funny that you say the air filtration because that was one of the things on my list of wants for the model 3 so when i found out that the model 3 would not have air filtration i was bummed. HOWEVER, with that said, I did end up ordering one and have had my model 3 for a month and i LOVE it. This car is far superior than any ICE care I've ever owned. Even with circulating interior air; i would get outside smells on my ICE vehicles. On my model 3, I have had NO outside smells so the filtration on the 3 (IMHO) appears excellent! I did see a video a while back where someone found the filtration on the 3 and they were impressed by the thickness of the filter but also could see why Tesla could not put the upgraded version in the 3

I test drove the performance Model 3 last week. If anything, I think it's too fast. My 5.5 second to 60 Model S is fast enough for me. I would like to have a discount on my auto insurance for having the "slow Tesla", though. The overall driving experience was similar to the Model S, except for the acceleration. I definitely prefer the dash and screen layout of the Model S.

But for about what I could sell my car for, I could get a brand new car without any miles, new warranty, longer range and AWD. I do get a week or so of snow every winter where I live. On paper it looks like a no brainer decision. The Model 3 is a great car and I wouldn't even be considering the Model S if I was currently buying a Tesla. Mainly because of the price difference. I prefer the looks of the Model S, it's larger size, and the hatchback, but these aren't deal breakers for not buying the Model 3. I know I'm weird, but the better air filtration is sort of important to me, also.

So for those of you that have, or had, a fairly new Model S, and now own a Model 3, is this a no-brainer decision? Should I sell my S and getting a 3?

I've been contemplating the same thing Model S or Model 3. I had more fun test driving a Model 3 than driving a Model S ( I got a loaner Model S before) . But this depends on an individual taste.

If you are happy with Model S , you should stick with it. But if you are talking about getting a Model 3 Performance , I would go for Model 3 performance.
Some factors that could play in decision making,
Factoring in if this is the sole car you would be using.
Having kids , Camping trips etc.
If your driving style is geared towards more serene , calm and relaxing or if it's more of joy , reactive sort of style.
In my opinion , Model S is more geared towards a calm demeanor ( Yeah! there is P100D , but Im not talking about 0-60) , long road trips, family haul ( I love Model X , but i don't enjoy driving that) , where as Model 3 is more of a fun driving machine, which sharp handling and dynamic steering and it listens to you and it feels like a fun toy ( i've owned several BMWs including E92 M3 and personally i enjoyed driving Tesla Model 3 compared to my E92 M3).

I love RWD cars and ordered one , which was ready for delivery, but I've been enjoying AWD cars too, so I changed my order to AWD.

I had a 2017 S 90D for 3 weeks while my 3 RWD was at the SC. I didn't like it at first, but coming back to my 3 made me realize how much more refined, quieter, smoother, significant and roomier the S ride is.

There still is something to be said about the elegance of that car.

With that being said, it truly depends on what YOU are looking for; what you're willing to give up or pay for.

I find the S to be more comfortable. My X lease is up soon, and I'm debating the M3 purchase too. I have only driven the RWD Model 3. The biggest challenge would be ingress/egress.
ingress/egress , its not that different from model S . Model 3 has more head room for rear seats . but less legroom compared to model S . I'm on the shorter side .

I prefer the looks of the Model S, it's larger size, and the hatchback, but these aren't deal breakers for not buying the Model 3. I know I'm weird, but the better air filtration is sort of important to me, also.

There's your answer right there. Looks, larger size, hatchback, and better filtration. I'd keep the S if I were you. Plus I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the S&X center screen hardware can be upgraded for increased responsiveness.