Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Trade In My 2017 Model S 75 for an AWD Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you seen an S next to a 3? The S is a much better looking car (especially from the front angle). To put it in and ICE terms, it’s like an S/E class Benz vs A/C class or BMW 5/7 series to a 3 series. Which one will get more looks and which one will you look better in ;) ?

There's your answer right there. Looks, larger size, hatchback, and better filtration. I'd keep the S if I were you. Plus I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the S&X center screen hardware can be upgraded for increased responsiveness.

I had my MCU upgraded on X to MCU2, and it is as responsive right now as our 3. The 3 is a really great car. Perhaps because it’s new, everything feels a bit tighter from acceleration, braking, no rattles, etc. Extrapolating my experience with our 3 and our X to compare a 3 and an S, I do like the extra screen on the dash and the general more “premium” feel of the X/S, but for me personally I am not sure of the extra cost for those features unless they are important to you. Before getting a 3 I would tell my friends definitely get the 3 over an S, but now after owning it it really depends on the type of care you’re looking for. An S would be much better i think for longer trips and more comfortable drives but the 3 is really fun zipping around (and still comfortable but I’m guessing i feel the road much more in the 3 than an S).

Btw p

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
I had my MCU upgraded on X to MCU2, and it is as responsive right now as our 3. The 3 is a really great car. Perhaps because it’s new, everything feels a bit tighter from acceleration, braking, no rattles, etc. Extrapolating my experience with our 3 and our X to compare a 3 and an S, I do like the extra screen on the dash and the general more “premium” feel of the X/S, but for me personally I am not sure of the extra cost for those features unless they are important to you. Before getting a 3 I would tell my friends definitely get the 3 over an S, but now after owning it it really depends on the type of care you’re looking for. An S would be much better i think for longer trips and more comfortable drives but the 3 is really fun zipping around (and still comfortable but I’m guessing i feel the road much more in the 3 than an S).

Btw p

for some reason can't edit my own post--edit, found out I don't have MCU2.

Have you seen an S next to a 3? The S is a much better looking car (especially from the front angle). To put it in and ICE terms, it’s like an S/E class Benz vs A/C class or BMW 5/7 series to a 3 series. Which one will get more looks and which one will you look better in ;) ?

I may be in the minority, but I’d take a 3 series over a 5 series every time. Just like the size and driving feel of a 3 series much more than the boat feeling of a 5 series.

Reactions: attack7
I wouldn't, the S is an amazing car, and better fits your dog. It is a Better road tripper and the new S exterior looks amazing.
Just upgrade the MCU! But is it really even a problem? My friend has an S and I never hear him complain about the speed. You have more buttons and a second display on the S so IMO it needs the speed update a little less than the 3 does.

The 3 is a better commuter, and handles great (Just test drove a P3D+! Wow! ), but I don't think I'd trade in a newer S for a 3. Just enjoy it for what it is, a great premium luxury car.

I just ordered a P3D to replace my 2015 S85D. The S is coming off warranty in 6 months/4000 miles and I do not want to own the car out of warranty (the cost of a MCU, screen or air suspension replacement would be very ugly). So my options were to spend $4k on an extended warranty or $14K (net of tax credits and trade in value) on a new car.

The P3 will give me far better range, better acceleration and handling, better sound system, faster electronics and auto pilot 2.5 hardware.

For me, the $10,000 swap makes sense. I won't miss the additional storage space and seldom take road trips. My only concern was comfort of the ride (vs the air suspension on the S). While the 3 definitely feels more connected to the road, I did not find the ride to be uncomfortable at all in my test drives.

I’m driving an S75 right now while my AWD 3 is in the SC. As others have stated there are pros and cons. There are obvious features that the S has that the 3 doesn’t (auto-closing hatch, air suspension, more regular door handles). The ride quality is also objectively quieter and smoother.

The size difference is obvious but which is better is up to personal preference. In my case I prefer the smaller 3 as it’s easier to maneuver (and my garage is tiny). Also the road visibility is so much better on the 3.

Also obvious is the range difference.

What’s less obvious / more subjective is the UX design. As an engineer, my general takeaway is that the 3 is a much more elegant design than the S. Because they had to cram everything into the screen, it forced Tesla to be extremely thoughtful from a UX perspective. For example, in the 3 it was immediately obvious to me how to turn on and configure auto pilot. On the S I had to fiddle around for a while until I found that tiny lever hidden under the windshield wiper controls. Same with things like mirror and steering wheel control. Another example of more thoughtful design is the amount of wasted real estate on displays in the S vs the 3. From what I can tell, the only options on the center display is full-screen or 50/50 split. My most common mode is to have both map and music displayed at the same time. But IMHO I’d much rather trade map real estate for radio real estate like on the 3.

Given the price difference, I’m really glad I went with the 3. Now if they were at the same price, then it’s a harder choice. It’ll likely come down to range and size preference. Everything else is relatively minor and can be easily gotten used to.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the decision.

Reactions: debuggr
I just ordered a P3D to replace my 2015 S85D. The S is coming off warranty in 6 months/4000 miles and I do not want to own the car out of warranty (the cost of a MCU, screen or air suspension replacement would be very ugly). So my options were to spend $4k on an extended warranty or $14K (net of tax credits and trade in value) on a new car.

The P3 will give me far better range, better acceleration and handling, better sound system, faster electronics and auto pilot 2.5 hardware.

For me, the $10,000 swap makes sense. I won't miss the additional storage space and seldom take road trips. My only concern was comfort of the ride (vs the air suspension on the S). While the 3 definitely feels more connected to the road, I did not find the ride to be uncomfortable at all in my test drives.

For $10k more to trade in for P3, I’d definitely do it too.. that’s a strong case in your instance