Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I trade in my 2019 SR+ for the 2021?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carvana offered me $34,900 for my black no option SR+. I Would trade it for the 2021 SR+. Good idea? Has anybody used carvana before and can l tell me what to expect? A little off topic, but if selling to carvana should I keep the moble charger or should that go with the car?

Of course the mobile connector that came with the car should be turned into Carvana.

A no-option 2021 looks like it will cost you about $41k after destination and MO tax. $6k (and another year or two of payments, presuming you're financing) seems pretty steep to me for a few extra miles and a new center console. YMMV.
I calculated about $4500 difference. The taxes should be minimal because in MO you get a tax credit for the trade in. Still not a small amount though. No car payments so at least I don’t have to worry about that.

That's barely an upgrade, at least go for a higher trim, otherwise what's the point

It makes a "little" more sense if one is trading up trims. It makes very little to zero sense if doing the same trim, unless there is something about the OPs current vehicle we dont know (very poor degradation, really poor panel gaps, an accident that has not been reported, etc)

I would probably trade it in if you don't really like black as your car color, and you would prefer white as it's now free compared to before.

The changes on the 2021 models is definitely nice, but I am not sure about $6k nice.
I think I am neutral on the color.
But the following would be nice:
Power trunk
Chrome delete
Center console
Extra range(maybe better battery chemistry?)
Better windows and soundproofing
Faster computer
Faster car(sort of)

Nope in great condition.

Ok, then... why are you looking to "trade sideways" at a cost of what you say is 4500? I am asking because you asked "Good idea?" and on the surface, I would say, no to that. There must be a reason you are looking at doing this, however.

EDIT: I didnt see your list when I posted this.

If the question is "good idea?" I would say that your list is not worth 4500. Would you pay 4500 to put that stuff on your current car? If so, then maybe its worth it for you.

Last edited:
I think I am neutral on the color.
But the following would be nice:
Power trunk
Chrome delete
Center console
Extra range(maybe better battery chemistry?)
Better windows and soundproofing
Faster computer
Faster car(sort of)

If money for you is not a worry, I'd just lease the Teslas. That way, you get a new one every few years. Otherwise, keep it, enjoy it. The 2021 models will soon be outdated anyways. It's a perpetual cycle.