Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I trade in my M3? [April 2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a secondary car and you won't be left stranded if you sell tomorrow then I would 100% sell right now. As DayTrippin say, you get a new warranty, with not only that but also a brand new car to go along with it. Main thing right now is wait time, production should be ramping up in the upcoming months with Giga Texas but it's too early for that I believe I ordered my M3P on 3/22 and my delivery date is still May 28 - July 02

Reactions: ColoradoMike
i sold my 3/2020 3p with 20k miles on it for 55k, which is 4k more than i paid for it in 2020. i got a 2/2020 3p BECAUSE of the updates and accoutrements that came out after my build month. i had no car but i did have vacation time so i took off basically a month (i have a lot of time because i worked as normal during covid and couldn't do personal travel). for date nights i got an uber/lyft. i got my car in about 3.5 weeks.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
In Dec. of last year, I sold my 2019 SR (not the Plus) for $43,000 which I had purchased for $35,000 less $3,500 back from Calif and So. Cal. Edison making the cost $31,500.00
I also sold my wife's Smart Car for $2,500 more than I purchased originally.

With the cash from both sold cars, I purchased a 2022 M3 Performance which I LOVE.

Last edited:
Reactions: PartyBoy
i sold my 3/2020 3p with 20k miles on it for 55k, which is 4k more than i paid for it in 2020. i got a 2/2020 3p BECAUSE of the updates and accoutrements that came out after my build month. i had no car but i did have vacation time so i took off basically a month (i have a lot of time because i worked as normal during covid and couldn't do personal travel). for date nights i got an uber/lyft. i got my car in about 3.5 weeks.
That is crazy. It is exactly what I did with my S3 and M2C. I must admit that if they were to offer me more than what I owe on my 22' Model 3, I would do it again.

Have you taken sales tax into consideration? If so, for $9k you get:

- 3 years of warranty
- Whatever hardware improvements were in made in 3 years
- No wear and tear from the 26k miles of driving
- The new car feel
- Possibly different interior and exterior colors

I think it's worth it.

Boy times change quickly, I was just looking back at old posts and saw this. Amazing how much Tesla would give for this car back then. For comparison I just submitted our few month old ‘22 LR 3 and Tesla only offers $35k for it. Back in 2020 I traded in our immaculate red/white 2019 Performance 3 with 4,000 miles and they gave us $42k

Boy times change quickly, I was just looking back at old posts and saw this. Amazing how much Tesla would give for this car back then. For comparison I just submitted our few month old ‘22 LR 3 and Tesla only offers $35k for it. Back in 2020 I traded in our immaculate red/white 2019 Performance 3 with 4,000 miles and they gave us $42k
You pretty much have to do a private sale if you want a decent price. Most of the used car companies have way too much inventory they paid way too much for. They don't want your car unless you are willing to give it away. Tesla and Vroom's offers I just got were a joke.

You pretty much have to do a private sale if you want a decent price. Most of the used car companies have way too much inventory they paid way too much for. They don't want your car unless you are willing to give it away. Tesla and Vroom's offers I just got were a joke.
Not much private demand for used Tesla these days either.
Everyone is sitting on the fence, waiting for 2023 Federal credits to kick in.

Unless you are in a financial bind, wait till January rolls in to sell your EV.

a

I don’t think private sales should be as high anymore unless you find a naïve buyer to purchase above market value that doesn’t follow the market close enough. People still ask high numbers for private sales but either take much less eventually or the car will just sit for sale for a long time because Tesla has loads of used inventory that the add warranty to along with FSD for less money than most private sales.

I don’t think private sales should be as high anymore unless you find a naïve buyer to purchase above market value that doesn’t follow the market close enough. People still ask high numbers for private sales but either take much less eventually or the car will just sit for sale for a long time because Tesla has loads of used inventory that the add warranty to along with FSD for less money than most private sales.
I’m going to ask $1000 under the bottom end of KBB private sale value. This is a whopping $10k more than Tesla offered and &4k less than the closest comp from a used car dealer, which doesn’t have the FSD mine has.

I’m going to ask $1000 under the bottom end of KBB private sale value. This is a whopping $10k more than Tesla offered and &4k less than the closest comp from a used car dealer, which doesn’t have the FSD mine has.
KBB estimated values are pure BS.
If you are asking for anything close to it, the only responses you will get is from scammers.

BTDT.

HTH,
a

KBB estimated values are pure BS.
If you are asking for anything close to it, the only responses you will get is from scammers.

BTDT.

HTH,
a
So KBB private sale values do not currently look like BS to me based on what I have seen for similar cars at used car dealers. I also checked Edmunds, which was even higher. The used car market is very strange right now with used car dealers still asking way too much in an attempt to not lose money on vehicles they bought over the summer and early fall.