Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I trade my 2015 WRX for a 2022 M3 RWD ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! I think you'll enjoy it just as much as your WRX. I've owned 3 STi's prior to owning Teslas and there are definitely a few things I miss as others mentioned (stick shift, engine/exhaust noise, handling). However, the other items out-weigh it so I can't really ever go back. I still find myself searching for used STI's pices from time to time, but then remember the maintenance along with other costs associated with owning them.

One thing I love is that I can just romp on the car anytime, no more baby-ing it until it's warmed up. No more thoughts around, "I guess I shouldn't push it too mujch since I've been pushing it a lot lately..." etc.

As a fellow former STI owner, I'm with you 100% on all of this! Though I feel it's best to let the Tesla drive unit oil warm up a bit if the car has been sitting overnight before really getting the hammer down, but it's not something I've ever seen Tesla suggest, just something that makes sense to me. Maybe preconditioning warms up the drive unit oil too, I haven't checked for that. (I assume oil temp or at least some drive unit temp sensor is available from the debug / data logging access, I'll get something setup for that on my M3P soon.)

I do however worry about long term ownership of a Tesla, which is why I've never owned one a long time. Being that you can't just buy any part from Tesla, and some of the repair costs prices I've seen on older Model S's (makes my STi repairs feel like pocket change), I don't know if I would ever keep it long term. But that's just me since I usually did all the repair/maintenance on my STi's myself.
As a long term Model S owner I can say you're 100% right with this concern as well. :) Though these days you can buy parts from Tesla, and also Tesla's repair labor rates actually seem on the reasonable side compared to traditional car dealer service rates in my area, especially if comparing like-priced ICE brands (i.e. "luxury" brands).

The parts catalog is online at Parts Catalog and you can order them through any service center. Unfortunately they don't have a dedicated parts ordering system or parts department staff, so you have to place the order and get communications via a service request, which is clunky, and selling parts is generally a low priority for overworked Service Advisors' time. On the flip side many people have reported Tesla voluntarily dropping off their parts via mobile service staff for no extra cost / no shipping cost. (On my only experience ordering catalog parts so far, I picked them up from my local SC, they never mentioned and I never asked about having mobile service deliver them.)

Lmao, the radiator on my subie leaked at 60K miles. The front diff leaked fluid out all on its own at 55K necessitating a new diff. Want to know how much that costs? Subies are relatively low maintenance but they still breakdown a lot more. Headgaskets..., leaking cam seals, got those on at 35K on a custom blocked 2.5L with cams, etc etc and twinscroll, check. Oh forgot the cam covers leaked too. Oh and don't forget all the EJ design flaws... too hot and cooked cylinder #4 anyone? Yea...

The Koyo radiator I put on my second Subie never leaked. ;) I'm pretty sure that car had cracked ringlands for most of my ownership though...it never failed catastrophically, but it ate more oil than expected and it dyno'd slightly on the low side, both stock and after getting a tune. Subaru dealers refused to consider it a warranty problem though, maybe if I paid for a teardown myself they would've fixed it, but by then I had already started modding it and it was powerful enough for me after the tune.

I miss that car, it was great fun and practical too, but yeah definitely not a shining example of perfect reliability. Better than my early Model S though. :)

I couldn't resist the temptation and took a back-to-back test drive on the LR AWD against the RWD (6.1 sec LFP) over some bends and straight.
Here are my 50c worth of thoughts:

Both cars felt so much faster than the WRX. It was so much easier to access that sweet torque, just floor it, and there it was; with the WRX, I had to work the throttle to find that torque band and more just to keep it there (but this might be something that I will really miss one day).

On the straight: the LR AWD was definitely faster off the line, I could describe it as being slingshot off in one of those amusement park rides. The RWD needed a little bit of build-up in that first 0-30kph but from there on, it didn't feel that much slower than the LR AWD, granted it was definitely the slower of the two but that was my seat-of-the-pants feel. The RWD felt best at rolling acceleration and the LR AWD just had that power all the way to the legal limit (and a little over).

Over the bends: I actually felt less confident with the LR AWD than the RWD, maybe I haven't quite grasped the handling of it. It felt kind of heavy like it was a physically bigger car than the RWD, in fact, the RWD handled more like the WRX. The LR felt like a part-time AWD (perhaps it is?) and the front wheels didn't give me the confidence to utilise its power out of the corner. Again, more time with this car might totally change my perspective. The RWD felt much lighter and agile around the corners and the front wheels felt more connected to the steering, it just went where I pointed it at. I was able to push it a bit more around the bends, being not as powerful probably helped.

After some tossing around, I decided to keep my RWD order despite I could comfortably stretch for the LR AWD. I live within the inner city and for a long-distance drive, we usually need to take my wife's 7-seater to fit our kids and their accessories. The LR AWD certainly has sensational power but I feel it would be a waste to just drive it in city streets, a bit like keeping a cheetah in the zoo. If I live further away from the city with frequent use of open roads, the LR AWD would've been the pick, but as of now, I am keeping the RWD order and trying not to think about that awesome acceleration of the LR. I'm hoping Tesla will bring on a 7-seater model Y Performance one day.

Reactions: tm1v2
New to this forum and would appreciate it if members could share some thoughts. Never own an EV before, but a few things got me interested/thinking about getting the M3 RWD:
1- my current MY15 WRX CVT pump is leaking and told that it needs to be replaced within six months for about AUD $2000.
2- our local government is throwing out a $3000 rebate + free stamp duty (worth about $2500) for any new EV under a certain price range (which means the M3 RWD)
3- have my own garage now that I could charge EV overnight.

I test drove a 2022 build a couple of days ago but didn't really get a good feel of it, local traffic was heavy and the street speed limit was 60km/hr.
I didn't really get that shove in the back feel that every Tesla owner talks about, but maybe the car was in chill mode? (didn't get to check, the sales assistant was already in a holiday mood and wasn't that helpful).

Figure wise, WRX CVT is quoted 0-100km/hr in 6.3 sec and M3 RWD in 6.1 sec, not that it matters that much driving in Sydney traffic but I am wondering if there is any M3 RWD owners who have also driven WRX (or similar) in the past could share some thoughts? I am in two minds about whether to keep or trade-in the WRX, would it make a world of difference, or would I be throwing away hard-earned dough?
Well I was a only Subaru guy. I had 3 Subarus, a 97 Legacy GT, a 08 Legacy GT, and then a 2016 WRX. I got the Tesla because Subaru was not coming out with a performance hybrid that I wanted. However I got the LR (because I must have AWD) and it's way faster than the WRX. I don't know about the RWD but I assume it is and would feel faster because of the instant torque.

I recommend ya get the LR. You'll get used to the RWD and then that will be that. You won't be able to do anything about it since there is no other forward option unlike the LR. Thus if you can stretch comfortably... You can add Acceleration Boost to the LR later which will knock half a second off 60 and 1/4 times, its a great boost for the low cost. Try to get that in a subaru and you're talking a turbo, exhaust, fuel pump and a tune etc etc, like four times the cost. Btw here's avid of Karun tossing the 3 LR around track.

Well I was a only Subaru guy. I had 3 Subarus, a 97 Legacy GT, a 08 Legacy GT, and then a 2016 WRX. I got the Tesla because Subaru was not coming out with a performance hybrid that I wanted. However I got the LR (because I must have AWD) and it's way faster than the WRX. I don't know about the RWD but I assume it is and would feel faster because of the instant torque.
Same with me coming from 5 previous Subaru's, WRX, Legacy Spec B, followed by 3 more WRX's loved the cars but same feeling. First the new WRX is not appealing to me at all after owning a 2015 and 2019 and they just do not have a performance hybrid of full EV coming so I bailed for an LR.

@MAXPOiNT I think you've made the right decision for your driving. Also I agree about AWD Model 3 (LR and P) feeling very rear-biased in their power delivery, compared to any fulltime AWD Subaru (even compared to an STI which has a rear-biased center diff). Some people love that, others don't, for me it's something I am getting used to and really starting to like, but for sure it was new and very different from what I was used to with my AWD Subarus.

Not to steer you away from a Tesla, but the dual motor Polestar 2 (I tested one with its Performance package) feels much more like Subaru AWD. Feels like it's always using both motors and it doesn't rotate/oversteer under power much the way a Model 3 likes to. Also the Polestar 2 has decent ground clearance like a WRX or WRX STI, feels more like them height-wise, Model 3 feels lower (and is lower). There's lots more differences to the cars of course. The Polestar 2 Performance was my overall 2nd favorite car of my recent test driving / car shopping (after Model 3 Performance :)).

Also the RWD 3 LFP battery has much lower fire risk and likely slower/less degradation over time, and almost as much usable daily range thanks to recommended 100% charge. For basic daily driving / commuting it makes a lot of sense. If you lived someplace with snow, or you would have a lot of opportunities to use the extra dual motor power, I'd say the LR AWD is easily worth it. But not for driving around a city in warm Australia!

Last edited:

With you all the way. Loved my Subarus, but Subaru has been falling behind the industry performance-wise and now that I'm used to EVs I can't go back to ICE for daily driving. Subaru may have something for us soon though!

I had a 2015 WRX and later a 2018 WRX (both manuals) before I switched to a 3 LRAWD at the end of 2019. The instant torque of the Tesla is addictive compared to the turbo lag. However, the WRXs had a much sportier suspension, I had more confidence taking hard turns fast with them than the Tesla. Don't get me wrong, the Tesla holds the road quite well. It's a step down in performance handling but it's 2-3 steps up in comfort. As someone else said, rear visibility was also better in the WRX. The thing is, my 3 LRAWD cost more than double what the WRX cost... All depends on your budget.

Reactions: tm1v2
I had a 2015 WRX and later a 2018 WRX (both manuals) before I switched to a 3 LRAWD at the end of 2019. The instant torque of the Tesla is addictive compared to the turbo lag. However, the WRXs had a much sportier suspension, I had more confidence taking hard turns fast with them than the Tesla. Don't get me wrong, the Tesla holds the road quite well. It's a step down in performance handling but it's 2-3 steps up in comfort. As someone else said, rear visibility was also better in the WRX. The thing is, my 3 LRAWD cost more than double what the WRX cost... All depends on your budget.
100% agreed @GtiMart. My WRX STI hatchback was much more stable and controlled when pushed hard, especially on rough back roads. Stock dampers and springs, though I did have aftermarket swaybars, Group N mounts, and a few other choice upgrades. :)

Now my LGT wagon was more a soft swaying cruiser, softer than a Model 3. I tracked it once and every turn was full compression, I have photo evidence. :)

Polestar 2 Performance suspension had that very controlled and stable feeling from my STI, maybe even better, and the Polestar rode very smoothly at the same time (smoother than Model 3 or STI). It had fancy adjustable Öhlins DFV dampers, I don't know what settings the demo car had them adjusted to but they felt Goldilocks right to me. So good that right after I ordered my M3P I ordered the Redwood Motorsports Öhlins DFV Performance Sport. Still waiting on them though, Öhlins has had a bunch of COVID related delays, but they're valving a batch of them right now and Redwood has all the other pieces ready to go, so hopefully I'll get my kit soon.

Reactions: GtiMart
Polestar 2 Performance suspension had that very controlled and stable feeling from my STI, maybe even better, and the Polestar rode very smoothly at the same time (smoother than Model 3 or STI). It had fancy adjustable Öhlins DFV dampers
Locally, Polestar 2 dual motor is about AUD $3k cheaper than the LR AWD, but adding the performance package which costs about 5k makes it more expensive. I haven't had the opportunity to see or test drive one yet but most reviewers said LR AWD has better handling? It's also heavier than LR AWD. Aesthetically, Polestar2 does look more classy and better quality than Model 3, but that's just my eyes.

If you lived someplace with snow, or you would have a lot of opportunities to use the extra dual motor power, I'd say the LR AWD is easily worth it. But not for driving around a city in warm Australia!
I used to drive a 2012 Audi RS5 that runs 0-100 in 4.5sec (0-60mph in 4 sec), it also has the V8 sound that would ring in my ears when I sleep, I would drive it through the tunnels just to hear that echo. I ended up selling it only after 3-4 years because driving it in the city and mostly commuting during peak hours was like dating a supermodel girlfriend that you can only sleep with once in a blue moon. I got fed up with the never-ending oil leak and various other issues. I ended up going back to Subaru which was a performance downgrade on the paper but more usable fun in my situation. At least, I cared much less where I park the car, not having to worry about dents/scratches from people who can't park a 2 ton SUV.

Locally, Polestar 2 dual motor is about AUD $3k cheaper than the LR AWD, but adding the performance package which costs about 5k makes it more expensive. I haven't had the opportunity to see or test drive one yet but most reviewers said LR AWD has better handling? It's also heavier than LR AWD. Aesthetically, Polestar2 does look more classy and better quality than Model 3, but that's just my eyes.
Polestar 2 with "Pilot" and "Plus" packages but not the Performance package is most comparable to M3LR. The Performance package has upgraded suspension, brakes, forged wheels, and summer tires - none of which the M3LR has.

I never drove a P2 without the Performance package, can't comment on how it handles. The Performance package suspension felt better and better the harder I pushed it, way more stable and controlled than any Model 3. Yet it rode smoother at the same time. The structure of the car felt more solid than any Tesla, that probably helps.

Some people feel Model 3 handles better because it can rotate under power i.e. power oversteer easily. I'm getting used to that and definitely beginning to enjoy it, but to me that's not essential, more important is how stable and controlled a car's suspension is.

Model 3 lower weight is a real benefit. I think with upgraded (aftermarket) suspension, a Model 3 could potentially handle better. But factory Model 3 suspension is soft and doesn't keep the car stable if you drive real hard, uneven roads, etc. It's just not tied down, and the harder I push the car the worse the suspension feels, opposite of the P2 Performance. (M3LR vs M3P suspension doesn't matter, suspension feels the same, only reason the P gets better handling reviews is the tires it comes with and Track Mode.)

HOWEVER...the single motor Polestar 2 is FWD and slow. I haven't driven on either but Model 3 SR+/RWD seems like a super easy choice over the single motor P2. It's the dual motor cars where I personally had a difficult time deciding. I'm very glad I went with Model 3 in the end (M3P in my case) but it was a tough choice, I still like the Polestar 2. Both cars are great EVs and also flawed, in different ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAXPOiNT
I guess all kinds of novelty would wear off with time but the grand plan is to grab the government incentives (worth $5500 but only the RWD qualifies), enjoy the car for a couple of years then go big with the performance range.
To be fair to the SR or is it SR+, they are pretty quick in their own right. I saw some SR+ drag races and it was surprising how well it hooks up and goes.