Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I traded in my 2018 M3LR RWD for a 2022 M3LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help me out TSLA fam.

I'm doing math gymnastics figuring out if it works for me.
My M3LR has 5 more months of warranty left. 27K miles. Full Battery is at 300 miles. No FSD
OTD price was about 54k when i bought it in May of 2018. 7.5k tax credit and 2.5k CA tax credit.
Vin is under 18K.

KBB says i can get around 45K trade in value.

New 2022 M3LR looks to be about 55K OTD.
Pros would be :
AWD
Faster
New CPU AP computers
More Range
Heat Pump
New Warrenty

Cons would be
10K out of pocket
No EAP
Loss of premium connectivity.
Taxes.

Possible pros:
Possible incoming tax credit.

I'm really debating if I should get a new model 3 for 2022 (especially w/tax credit).

Anything else am i missing?
Thanks.

Reactions: Mr X
If you can sell now and be without your Tesla until January I think it's a no brainer. Get a price quote from CarBuyerUSA, Carvana, and Vroom.

You should also consider if the LFP SR+ would meet your needs. By now you should have a good idea how often you needed the extra range. 262 miles, charging to 100% all the time, is pretty darn good.

Reactions: bhzmark
If you can sell now and be without your Tesla until January I think it's a no brainer. Get a price quote from CarBuyerUSA, Carvana, and Vroom.

You should also consider if the LFP SR+ would meet your needs. By now you should have a good idea how often you needed the extra range. 262 miles, charging to 100% all the time, is pretty darn good.
I second this - the process for those buying offers often takes minutes, and you can place the order for your M3. By the time the vehicle arrives (unless you take an in-inventory LFP SR+ or a sooner-to-EDD M3P) the new tax incentives, whatever they may be, should be in place anyway.

FWIW loss of radar is currently still a con. Remains to be seen if that remains true.

Also you'd lose homelink (unless you pay $300 to add it after delivery) and new cars don't come with 14-50 adapters (I think they're also missing like dead pedals and frunk mats or something else weird)

Also your post reads as if you have EAP now-- if so then "new computer" isn't really a pro... if you bought FSD (as an EAP owner) it'd be cheaper than adding FSD to the new car, and include an upgrade to the new computer.

But range, warranty AWD/Performance, heat pump (and heated wheel IIRC) all remain valid pros.

Reactions: medphys3
If you can go a few months without the car this is an incredible time to sell a used Model 3. Put your VIN into the sites @VTShaggy listed for instant quotes and real offers. Just be aware that it's pretty late in the year now so you might not get your car until March rather than December.

In addition to the drawbacks you noted, there's the loss of radar and passenger lumbar. And while the heat pump makes the car more modern and more valuable, it isn't going to have a significant impact on range in Cali but it might do better at dehumidification.

In addition to the benefits you noted, there's black trim, power trunk, center console that doesn't fight back, wireless phone charging, USB-C, heated steering wheel, laminated front windows, matrix headlights, and of course you ditch 4 years of depreciation and get a whole new warranty with new tires, brakes, carpet, vinyl, paint, etc.

Tesla takes $1500 off automatically for the Clean Fuel Reward but there's also an unrelated $2000 Clean Vehicle Rebate you can mail in for if it's still available by the time you take delivery. And of course if the federal credit comes thru you'll be laughing your way to the bank.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
If you can go a few months without the car this is an incredible time to sell a used Model 3. Put your VIN into the sites @VTShaggy listed for instant quotes and real offers. Just be aware that it's pretty late in the year now so you might not get your car until March rather than December.

In addition to the drawbacks you noted, there's the loss of radar and passenger lumbar. And while the heat pump makes the car more modern and more valuable, it isn't going to have a significant impact on range in Cali but it might do better at dehumidification.

In addition to the benefits you noted, there's black trim, power trunk, center console that doesn't fight back, wireless phone charging, USB-C, heated steering wheel, laminated front windows, matrix headlights, and of course you ditch 4 years of depreciation and get a whole new warranty with new tires, brakes, carpet, vinyl, paint, etc.

Tesla takes $1500 off automatically for the Clean Fuel Reward but there's also an unrelated $2000 Clean Vehicle Rebate you can mail in for if it's still available by the time you take delivery. And of course if the federal credit comes thru you'll be laughing your way to the bank.

Only question is will it be retrofittable...

I'm waiting it out right now until the tax credit is finalized and we know for sure. Would love to hop into a dual motor!

I have a 2018 Model LR RWD:
  • Purchased in May 2018 (was on the waiting list for 2 years) so warranty will be up in 2 months
  • Paid $51k but received ~$10k in federal/state credits/rebates
  • Purchased Autopilot for $2k
  • Premium Connectivity for life, Homelink was included
  • 36k miles
  • Got it appraised at CarMax for $37k.

I pretty much have the original M3 and have been happy with it but it's almost 4 years and the warranty is almost up. I'm not fully aware of all the new upgrades that have been added since other than some quick things I've read today.

A brand new 2022 M3 LR AWD is ~$52k. For $15k, is the upgrade worth it?
  • Brand new car with new warranty
  • AWD
  • Heated steering wheel, better window glass apparently, heat pump, automatic trunk, what else?
  • I do lose free Premium Connectivity and have to pay to get Homelink

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Also, is $37k reasonable for my specs?

I have a 2018 Model LR RWD:
  • Purchased in May 2018 (was on the waiting list for 2 years) so warranty will be up in 2 months
  • Paid $51k but received ~$10k in federal/state credits/rebates
  • Purchased Autopilot for $2k
  • Premium Connectivity for life, Homelink was included
  • 36k miles
  • Got it appraised at CarMax for $37k.

I pretty much have the original M3 and have been happy with it but it's almost 4 years and the warranty is almost up. I'm not fully aware of all the new upgrades that have been added since other than some quick things I've read today.

A brand new 2022 M3 LR AWD is ~$52k. For $15k, is the upgrade worth it?
  • Brand new car with new warranty
  • AWD
  • Heated steering wheel, better window glass apparently, heat pump, automatic trunk, what else?
  • I do lose free Premium Connectivity and have to pay to get Homelink

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Also, is $37k reasonable for my specs?
To me this up grade would be worth it. there's a lot more updates to the car than what you have listed. New MCU and 12v battery a big ones.

Is it noticeably quieter on the highway? I too have a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with lifetime premium connectivity, legacy EAP, and about 46,000 km (apx 28,500 miles) with about 8% battery degradation.
I love everything about the car except it is on the noisy side on the highway. I have been thinking about moving up to a MY (just for some added space) but a considerably quieter ride would be a big selling point.

Is it noticeably quieter on the highway? I too have a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with lifetime premium connectivity, legacy EAP, and about 46,000 km (apx 28,500 miles) with about 8% battery degradation.
I love everything about the car except it is on the noisy side on the highway. I have been thinking about moving up to a MY (just for some added space) but a considerably quieter ride would be a big selling point.
@Birdman325 By all accounts newer Model 3s are significantly quieter. My October 2021 Fremont built M3P is the quietest highway car I've owned. That includes quieter than my old Model S.

Is my M3P the quietest car I've been in? No. Heck just among competing cars we test drove two were quieter on the highway (both non-Tesla EVs). Wind noise is present in our M3P, and so is tire noise, depending greatly on your chosen tires if course. But to my ears the noise levels are reasonably muted and not at all bothersome.

The two Model 3s we test drove (M3LR and M3P) sounded the same, so the factory seemed to be churning them out with good consistency.

Now the MYLR we tested was the noisiest highway car I've experienced in recent memory. :( Seriously loud wind noise at 70mph by modern car standards. Also the ride quality was really busy. Overall the poor NVH reminded me of economy cars from the 90s. Sitting still I really liked the Model Y, but on the go it felt and sounded like crap to be honest. I've seen reports that 2022 Model Y are better, but test drive carefully and back-to-back with a new Model 3. I suspect the Model 3 will still be quieter and smoother.

@Birdman325 By all accounts newer Model 3s are significantly quieter. My October 2021 Fremont built M3P is the quietest highway car I've owned. That includes quieter than my old Model S.

Is my M3P the quietest car I've been in? No. Heck just among competing cars we test drove two were quieter on the highway (both non-Tesla EVs). Wind noise is present in our M3P, and so is tire noise, depending greatly on your chosen tires if course. But to my ears the noise levels are reasonably muted and not at all bothersome.

The two Model 3s we test drove (M3LR and M3P) sounded the same, so the factory seemed to be churning them out with good consistency.

Now the MYLR we tested was the noisiest highway car I've experienced in recent memory. :( Seriously loud wind noise at 70mph by modern car standards. Also the ride quality was really busy. Overall the poor NVH reminded me of economy cars from the 90s. Sitting still I really liked the Model Y, but on the go it felt and sounded like crap to be honest. I've seen reports that 2022 Model Y are better, but test drive carefully and back-to-back with a new Model 3. I suspect the Model 3 will still be quieter and smoother.
Helpful. Thx

My early 2019 Model 3 LR RWD doesn't even have basic AP, so upgrading to get that and AWD already sounds pretty good.

Being "much quieter" would be a welcome bonus, too.

Adding to the OP's list of pros:
  • Chrome delete
  • Matrix projector headlights
  • Li-ion accessory battery
  • Power trunk lid
  • Better trunk seal
  • USB in glovebox
  • Heated wipers
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Redesigned aero wheels/covers
  • Pedestrian warning speaker (might be a con to some)
  • No light leak in side marker cameras
  • New console with wireless charging and USB-C (yay, no more piano black interior surfaces!)
  • Less likely to lose rear facia in heavy rain
And cons:
  • Radar deleted (will eventually be disabled on all Model 3's anyway)
  • Passenger lumbar adjustment deleted
  • Center channel speaker deleted
  • Slightly smaller frunk
  • Homelink not included
  • Gotta pay to get the windows tinted again
Waiting for a switch to 4860 batteries or some other major change could easily be several years down the road, so taking advantage of the inflated used car values now feels like a reasonable move. I placed an order on Monday!

Reactions: CaliM3 and Tony_YYZ