Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I traded in my 2018 M3LR RWD for a 2022 M3LR?

steven415

Jan 19, 2018
California
Help me out TSLA fam.

I'm doing math gymnastics figuring out if it works for me.
My M3LR has 5 more months of warranty left. 27K miles. Full Battery is at 300 miles. No FSD
OTD price was about 54k when i bought it in May of 2018. 7.5k tax credit and 2.5k CA tax credit.
Vin is under 18K.

KBB says i can get around 45K trade in value.

New 2022 M3LR looks to be about 55K OTD.
Pros would be :
AWD
Faster
New CPU AP computers
More Range
Heat Pump
New Warrenty

Cons would be
10K out of pocket
No EAP
Loss of premium connectivity.
Taxes.

Possible pros:
Possible incoming tax credit.

I'm really debating if I should get a new model 3 for 2022 (especially w/tax credit).

Anything else am i missing?
Thanks.

Reactions: Mr X

VTShaggy

Feb 19, 2020
Virginia
If you can sell now and be without your Tesla until January I think it's a no brainer. Get a price quote from CarBuyerUSA, Carvana, and Vroom.

You should also consider if the LFP SR+ would meet your needs. By now you should have a good idea how often you needed the extra range. 262 miles, charging to 100% all the time, is pretty darn good.

wandl

Jul 13, 2021
Dallas, TX
If you can sell now and be without your Tesla until January I think it's a no brainer. Get a price quote from CarBuyerUSA, Carvana, and Vroom.

You should also consider if the LFP SR+ would meet your needs. By now you should have a good idea how often you needed the extra range. 262 miles, charging to 100% all the time, is pretty darn good.
I second this - the process for those buying offers often takes minutes, and you can place the order for your M3. By the time the vehicle arrives (unless you take an in-inventory LFP SR+ or a sooner-to-EDD M3P) the new tax incentives, whatever they may be, should be in place anyway.

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
FWIW loss of radar is currently still a con. Remains to be seen if that remains true.

Also you'd lose homelink (unless you pay $300 to add it after delivery) and new cars don't come with 14-50 adapters (I think they're also missing like dead pedals and frunk mats or something else weird)

Also your post reads as if you have EAP now-- if so then "new computer" isn't really a pro... if you bought FSD (as an EAP owner) it'd be cheaper than adding FSD to the new car, and include an upgrade to the new computer.

But range, warranty AWD/Performance, heat pump (and heated wheel IIRC) all remain valid pros.

Reactions: medphys3

Gauss Guzzler

Safety Score = 7
Dec 27, 2020
Thousand Oaks, California
If you can go a few months without the car this is an incredible time to sell a used Model 3. Put your VIN into the sites @VTShaggy listed for instant quotes and real offers. Just be aware that it's pretty late in the year now so you might not get your car until March rather than December.

In addition to the drawbacks you noted, there's the loss of radar and passenger lumbar. And while the heat pump makes the car more modern and more valuable, it isn't going to have a significant impact on range in Cali but it might do better at dehumidification.

In addition to the benefits you noted, there's black trim, power trunk, center console that doesn't fight back, wireless phone charging, USB-C, heated steering wheel, laminated front windows, matrix headlights, and of course you ditch 4 years of depreciation and get a whole new warranty with new tires, brakes, carpet, vinyl, paint, etc.

Tesla takes $1500 off automatically for the Clean Fuel Reward but there's also an unrelated $2000 Clean Vehicle Rebate you can mail in for if it's still available by the time you take delivery. And of course if the federal credit comes thru you'll be laughing your way to the bank.

Reactions: lUtriaNt

Mr X

Future Martian
Jan 18, 2013
Simi Valley, CA
If you can go a few months without the car this is an incredible time to sell a used Model 3. Put your VIN into the sites @VTShaggy listed for instant quotes and real offers. Just be aware that it's pretty late in the year now so you might not get your car until March rather than December.

In addition to the drawbacks you noted, there's the loss of radar and passenger lumbar. And while the heat pump makes the car more modern and more valuable, it isn't going to have a significant impact on range in Cali but it might do better at dehumidification.

In addition to the benefits you noted, there's black trim, power trunk, center console that doesn't fight back, wireless phone charging, USB-C, heated steering wheel, laminated front windows, matrix headlights, and of course you ditch 4 years of depreciation and get a whole new warranty with new tires, brakes, carpet, vinyl, paint, etc.

Tesla takes $1500 off automatically for the Clean Fuel Reward but there's also an unrelated $2000 Clean Vehicle Rebate you can mail in for if it's still available by the time you take delivery. And of course if the federal credit comes thru you'll be laughing your way to the bank.

Only question is will it be retrofittable...

I'm waiting it out right now until the tax credit is finalized and we know for sure. Would love to hop into a dual motor!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC