Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I trust Costco auto center to rotate tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the Tesla has the unique undercarriage and lift requirements, is it risky to take it to Costco auto center to have even a simple tire rotation performed? (as opposed to taking it to the Tesla service center where they understand the architecture of the car and have the proper equipment for lifting, etc?)

Last time I went to Costco, they forgot to tighten the lug nuts... I checked the torque in the parking lot, as I'm that anal and carry a torque wrench... Some of the lugs were only finger tight, some of the lugs were not tightened at all, as they were LOOSE. Honestly there's no reason to go to Costco anyways, Discount Tire will match Costco prices, will rotate/patch for free, has a much better road hazard program, and are overal much nicer... With Costco, it was always like pulling teeth whenever I tried to use road hazard and/or treadwear coverage.

I didn't realize that tire rotation wasn't something that I could just get at a Tesla SC for free.
What do you guys recommend as a rotation cycle for a MYLR? I'm a Costco Member so I could go there I presume.
You many want to read the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual re tire rotation.

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

For the Long Range Model Y Tesla recommends rotating the tires front to back every 10000km (6250 miles) or if the tread depth difference between the front tires and the rear tires exceeds 2/32".

You can't rotate the tires on the Performance Model Y front to back as the front and rear tire widths are not the same.

The Model Y's software will automatically alert the driver that it is time to rotate the tires when there is a significant amount of rotational difference between front and rear tires due to excess tire wear (usually rear tire wear).

I stopped taking our cars to Costco tire. Just from observation, our particular Costco tire employees are not very skilled and careless. They damaged two wheel caps in the past. They paid for replacements but I just didn’t have much faith in their abilities to do a simple tire rotation. Worst though is the HOURS it takes for your car to be ready for a simple tire rotation, and that’s with a Costco appointment! Forget that. I switched to America’s Tire years ago and and am typically in and out in under 30 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike_TV
Last time I went to Costco, they forgot to tighten the lug nuts... I checked the torque in the parking lot, as I'm that anal and carry a torque wrench...
Why not just rotate them yourself?

I've had enough bad experiences (one with lugs not being tight), that I just do it myself. Only way I know it's done right. Plus I get to look at other stuff on my car in the process. Then again, I like that stuff.

Except for replacing the dang air filters. That was MUCH more of a process than it should have been... and why are there 2? I have lots of gripes about that. All the time and money I save from an annual oil change has simply been redirected to air filters and evaporator coil cleaning /gripe

Reactions: DrGriz
I stopped taking our cars to Costco tire. Just from observation, our particular Costco tire employees are not very skilled and careless. They damaged two wheel caps in the past. They paid for replacements but I just didn’t have much faith in their abilities to do a simple tire rotation. Worst though is the HOURS it takes for your car to be ready for a simple tire rotation, and that’s with a Costco appointment! Forget that. I switched to America’s Tire years ago and and am typically in and out in under 30 minutes.
Costco scratched the rims of another car I had years ago. These were nice and expensive aftermarket ones that I took extremely good care of so I took pics of all four beforehand with a camera. Yep, they scratched two of them mounting the tires and then tried to say it wasn't them. Ended up sending me a check for several hundred dollars after showing them the before pictures.

America's Tire or Discount Tire near us has been great over the years. Will probably take it there.

Costco tire center employee carelessly used screw driver to remove weights from the wheel left several big scratches that were visible from outside.. Costco ended up paying close to $1k for the damage.
Since then, I saw that tire center guy at the cashier helping people load the carts. LOL

Why not just rotate them yourself?

I've had enough bad experiences (one with lugs not being tight), that I just do it myself. Only way I know it's done right. Plus I get to look at other stuff on my car in the process. Then again, I like that stuff.
I do rotate tires myself... The time I went to Costco, I wasn't getting a rotation, I was actually getting new tires.

Reactions: Tha_Ape