Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I trust Costco auto center to rotate tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all wheel drive (or 4-wheel, or whatever you want to call what I have), I figure my tire wear is pretty near equal on all four corners. I can understand that the fronts might get a little more wear due to steering and cornering, but is it THAT much?? Not living in town, most of my driving is straight line, sixty mile an hour cruising. In other words, I have over 30,000 miles on my tires right now and I can't see any difference in wear, so I'm not rotating them just for fun and a need to hand over money to some guy with half my education. I might think about it at 40,000, but that's almost the life of the tire.

• Disagree
Reactions: fstop11
With all wheel drive (or 4-wheel, or whatever you want to call what I have), I figure my tire wear is pretty near equal on all four corners. I can understand that the fronts might get a little more wear due to steering and cornering, but is it THAT much?? Not living in town, most of my driving is straight line, sixty mile an hour cruising. In other words, I have over 30,000 miles on my tires right now and I can't see any difference in wear, so I'm not rotating them just for fun and a need to hand over money to some guy with half my education. I might think about it at 40,000, but that's almost the life of the tire.
Good news y’all - Rob doesn’t need to rotate his tires so none of you do either and we can just lock the thread. 👍🏻

if you see him at the cashiers counter every weekend (last two 3 years) when the tire centers are very busy, it is a good indicator that the tire center doesn't want him there.
You seem to spend a lot of time at Costco; maybe you should apply for a job at the tire center. You could be the person who turns it all around.

You seem to spend a lot of time at Costco; maybe you should apply for a job at the tire center. You could be the person who turns it all around.
I go to Costco 2-3 times a week. Our main source of food and tings other than vegetables and other things that Costco doesn't carry. Also, it is about 3 mins away from my house.

Not sure if you are joking or being sarcastic (i guess latter), but my level of automotive related skill/experience is well over qualified for the Costco tire center or any dealership tech positions. :cool:

BTW, I went to my Costco today and saw the same guy loading the carts next to the cashier. LOL

Last time I went to Costco, they forgot to tighten the lug nuts... I checked the torque in the parking lot, as I'm that anal and carry a torque wrench... Some of the lugs were only finger tight, some of the lugs were not tightened at all, as they were LOOSE. Honestly there's no reason to go to Costco anyways, Discount Tire will match Costco prices, will rotate/patch for free, has a much better road hazard program, and are overal much nicer... With Costco, it was always like pulling teeth whenever I tried to use road hazard and/or treadwear coverage.
If you are concerned on torque value of your lug nuts, I suggest you to do tire rotation yourself, unless you use Tesla's service. They set using torque wrench. Also I know most of franchise shops just don't care of the torque value of tires for most ICE cars, so they won't probably care for Tesla as well. How about Discount tires? Did you measure torque value after you got the car from them?
Anyway it doesn't need much investment to buy some tools for doing the job at home.

If you are concerned on torque value of your lug nuts, I suggest you to do tire rotation yourself, unless you use Tesla's service. They set using torque wrench. Also I know most of franchise shops just don't care of the torque value of tires for most ICE cars, so they won't probably care for Tesla as well. How about Discount tires? Did you measure torque value after you got the car from them?
Anyway it doesn't need much investment to buy some tools for doing the job at home.
I always rotate tires myself. This incident occured when I was getting new tires.

And yes, I check torque regardless where I'm at. Never had a problem with discount tire. Les Schwab likes to cross thread the lugs tho.