Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I try and wait out for an MCU 2 to replace my MCU1?

Hold out hope for MCU2 or replace now with MCU 1.5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems unlikely Tesla will offer the Infotainment Upgrade for MCU1/AP1 vehicles because AP1 used the console processor for autopilot, software that won't work with the MCU2 processor.

Well tesla stated themselves that they will offer it to ap1 in May. And the autopilot software is self contained in the mobileye unit, not on the mcu. mcu just uses the data mobileye gives it , and this communication fully works in mcu2 (i have ap1 , retrofitted to mcu2 )

Reactions: Art VandeIay
You're asking opinions, so here's mine.
We had our MCU1 fail in October last year. I knew it would eventually happen, but was hoping the MCU2 would be an option.
It was not.
So I just went ahead and had it replaced. As the screen was starting some bubbles, and it was still a 1.0 (3G) version, replacement was a bit less sour: next to the obvious repair, I'd get LTE and a new screen. Happy customer, MCU1.5 still does the job but....

You're in a unique situation, where as you mentioned, the shelter in place and the luxury of a second car makes it possible for you to wait.
Next to that we have that certainty that Tesla will provide a MCU2 upgrade. Comments about broken promises and "Tesla time" are true and there are plenty of example, but in this case, I don't think Tesla will brake that promise. And I'm also quite confident it will not be late either. Recent Tesla events show more execution ability within or faster than announced plans. (eg Y obviously)

I'm happy with my car and the MCU1, but boy if I were in your shoes, I'd wait. It's not only a faster UI, it will also add value to your car.

Reactions: dskillz and Akikiki
Seems unlikely Tesla will offer the Infotainment Upgrade for MCU1/AP1 vehicles because AP1 used the console processor for autopilot, software that won't work with the MCU2 processor.
Nope, AP1 does not use MCU for its driving functionality. If you have an AP1 and a spontaneous MCU reboot, you will notice that AP1 continues to be engaged, even though as MCU reboots it will ding at you as if you were disengaging and re-engaging the AP (MCU controls the sounds). I tried it once after a scare with MCU1 spontaneously rebooting on me while on AP1 (before AP2 was even announced). When it self-rebooted, I was able to disengage the AP1 with the stalk, which I immediately did, but then repeated the experiment without disengaging the AP at all while the MCU rebooted. If MCU was required for AP, the wave of dying MCU1's due to emmc failure would turn into a safety recall.