TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should I try to dissuade my uncle from getting a MS?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Darren Donovan, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Darren Donovan

My uncle is in his 70s, doesn't know a lot about Tesla. He expressed an interest in getting a used MS. Specifically, he really likes AP, he drives around 60 miles a day to his part time retired job and seeing friends (straight highway and twisty mountain roads). He told me that with AP, he can let the car do most of the driving and he can just "sit back and relax". He is not "techy" at all. I told him that the MS is a wonderful car, but it has limitations and idiosyncracies, like all cars do. I'm just not sure that a man his age, with limited tech aptitude, driving the route that he does, should get a Tesla. I'm worried that all the computer stuff will confuse him, and having unrealistic expectation of AP can be fatal. He was told by the salesman that if the car has any problems, they will come to his house to take it away, and leave him with a loaner vehicle, he lives about 110 miles away from the nearest Tesla service center. I thought that arrangement is no longer available? Did the salesman give him inaccurate info? What are your thoughts? I'd hate for anything bad to happen to him driving the MS, I just don't think the car and him are the best fit.

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Ask for an extended test drive, with you present, and show him the limitation of AP.

• Like x 1
  3. green1

green1 Active Member

I just had to talk my father out of an MS too. Many older people hear about AP and think it's a great alternative as they worry they won't be able to drive independently any more as they age further. Unfortunately, that comes from a misunderstanding of what AP really is. You need to explain to him that AP will not help with that at all, and that if he can't drive it himself, he can't drive it on AP either.

As for the sales person's claims. If he can't get it in writing, then it was a lie used to sell the car. While Tesla's people try to be honest, they almost all seem to absolutely refuse to actually fact check most of their statements, and in my mind, that's really no better than knowingly lying.

4. Darren Donovan

That's the main attraction of AP for my uncle. I'll do my best to dissuade him, but he's hard headed. Oh well, one can only do so much. Maybe I'll talk to his wife.

5. green1

green1 Active Member

In the end, it was my dad's doctor that convinced him not to buy the Tesla. He was told he wouldn't be allowed to drive much longer, regardless of vehicle, and then my dad couldn't justify such a large outlay for so few years of use.

6. Beryl

Beryl Member

Hopefully. autonomous cars will be available in his lifetime so he can independently get back on the road.

• Like x 4
  7. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

+1

• Helpful x 1
  8. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Liked, but not well liked.

9. Vitold

Vitold Member

His knowledge about AP maybe incomplete, however, if he is going to drive a car - Tesla would be pretty good choice for it safety and leading driver assist features. Just have him test drive it and figure it out for himself.

• Like x 1
  10. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Being 76 myself, don't underestimate your uncle. I just got mine a few days ago, and I found the Tesla to be the easiest car to get used to in quite a while. Not a techie myself, so if he is in good health, it's his life to live as he sees fit. As for Autopilot, show him the threads about it on TMC. That should give him a good idea of the limitations. I didn't order it's as there are only20 miles of 4 lane here and all crossings are grade level.

• Like x 6
  11. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Oddly enough, I have a friend in his 40's that is one of the least technical people I know. Like, he just got a cell phone last year, about 6 months before his Model S. For some strange reason, he loves the car. He literally just drives to work and back, but is slowly gaining confidence in taking longer trips. So there's that data point to consider. The car has mass appeal beyond just the high-tech factor.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. Mike K

Mike K Member

The first time he enables AutoPilot on a twisty mountain road will be the last time he enables AutoPilot on a twisty mountain road.

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

Do you have a suggestion for a safer car?

• Like x 1
  14. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

derail alert. a while ago my friend expressed interest in AP. so i drove to his house and we went for a little trip. unfortunately the highway was far too boring to show off the lane keeping so i quickly found a "curvy" road on the map and went for it. 2 turns later i told him, "yah... this road is a bit too technical for AP." back to the boring roads. he was still impressed though.

15. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Unless he is senile or has other mental issues, "a man his age" should be making his own decisions. It doesn't sound like he's going to give up driving, he still works part-time, and he'll be much safer in a Tesla than any other vehicle. The odds of AP killing him are significantly less than the odds of AP saving his life. He made it to his 70's -- give him some credit and let him enjoy his life and his money -- it sounds like he's earned it to me.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  16. Mike K

Mike K Member

If Tesla is to be believed, there is no safer car. I tend to agree with that. My concern would be someone going into AutoPilot with the perception that it's going to do all the work. If someone can properly set his expectations for AutoPilot's capabilities then I think he'd be fine. It is paramount that people understand that Autopilot is quite dumb. It's radar cruise control with lane keeping and Tesla does an absolutely amazing job of squeezing the most out of the hardware that they have but it's not an autonomous car. If he understands that then go nuts.

Yes, the first time I engaged AutoPilot on a mountain road it attempted to launch me off at the first turn. Occasionally I'll try it just to see if it's still as bad and it never fails to disappoint. I don't blame it though. I knew I was engaging it when I shouldn't have.

17. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Suggest they hold off and reserve a 3 or Y instead?

Not only is that much less money invested, but by the time he gets that car the AP available on it should be much closer to what he's expecting.

18. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    I am "in my 70's" so I understand that some people my age are not too competent. That said, it's pretty condescending of anybody to suggest mere age precludes sound judgement.
    In addition, under no circumstances will I allow any MD to make my decisions for me, nor any of my relatives, except for my spouse.

As for not too many years. Please don't tell anybody that they should sacrifice their enjoyment to "not enough years to enjoy..." That is ridiculous!

I have no idea about the OP's uncle or anybody else I don't know at any age. I do know two Tesla owners who bought their cars when they had what was thought to be terminal cancer (both were in their 30's). I also know a few older than me. Tesla cars are cars. Even ancients can learn to operate them. Chill, please!

• Like x 4