TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should I upgrade breakers/wiring for new 48 Amp Charger?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ChrisJ, May 20, 2016.

1. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

I've yet to take delivery of my MS (due in the next two weeks) and I had scheduled the installation of a NEMA 14-50 for next week.

Tesla is still recommending a NEMA 14-50 outlet but I'm concerned about running it off of a 50AMP breaker and #6 wires as recommended if I plan on running it at the full 48 Amps. I know I can limit the car to a lower rate but it would be nice if it could use the full range.

Question is, should I bump the breaker to 60 Amp and use bigger wires (#4 instead of #6)?

Originally my electrician was going to use NM-B 6/3 which is rated at 55 Amp, but there's also #6 65 Amp THHN (multiple single wires).

There's a good chance I'll eventually replace the NEMA with a HPWC, so again it would be nice to run it at the highest capacity for the new 48 Amp onboard charger.

Thoughts?

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Well, if you're thinking you'll eventually want to run the highest capacity with an HPWC, maybe you should be thinking about wiring for 90 Amps - after all, Tesla is now saying the 48A chargers are all post delivery upgradeable to 72A...

Aside from the HPWC future, I don't think it matters - AFAIK the UMC is limited to 40A even if the car can take more and the outlet has more capacity.

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Thanks for the response.

Yep, 72A upgradeable charger confirmed in the refreshed models, but I should have added that I'm pretty sure I'll not upgrade.

I missed the UMC is limited to 40A, so it sounds like I have my answer - unless I decide to add a HPWC later. Can it set to somewhere between 40-48A?

4. Amoroso6

Amoroso6 Member

If you are already using #6 wire then go with the 60 amp breaker which will allow you to charge a the Max 48 amps the standard charger will take.

5. David99

David99 Active Member

I'm always for planning higher than needed, just in case. And it sounds like you are actually going to want a HPWC. The cost difference for a 65 Amp breaker and the bigger wires is probably small so I would go ahead and do that.

Having said that, I drive a lot (30k-40k miles a year) and I'm totally fine with the 40 Amp UMC. I never wasn't able to charge as much as I wanted. There were a few situations where I would have a very quick charge, but even a 80 Amp dual charger would not have cut it. I have a CHADeMO at a mall near by. If I really need, that's still much faster even counting in the time to drive there.

• Like x 1
  6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I'm not sure I understand the question. The new HPWCs can set to 40, or to 48 (50A wire/breaker, 60A wire/breaker,) or to several levels above and below that. I don't believe there's a level between 40 and 48, however, if that was the question.

7. davewill

davewill Member

You can't use a 14-50 of you go over 50a on the breaker. You could oversize just the wire and change the breaker if and when you install your HPWC.

8. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Sorry, I should have read the manual, I knew you could set various levels but wasn't sure if there was any steps between 40 and 48. Thanks for clear it up.

Thanks. That makes sense. I may add a sub-panel to allow me to add the HPWC later and go with the NEMA for now.

9. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

Don't use a UMC at 40 amps, or you'll be sorry.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  10. swegman

swegman Member

Why? I charge at 40A since getting the car over 3 years ago on the UMC. No problem with the it.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I suspect this will change after you take a couple of road trips.

• Helpful x 1
  12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the difference in speed of charging is what you should be concerned about.
    how fast the car charges from 0 miles to full is not a huge concern for me and many others, a few hours at most is the difference between the faster and slower charge rates.
    if you don't care about the costs and you think you need a faster turn around then do it.

13. kort677

kort677 Active Member

please elaborate.
    like another contributor I have charged my cars at 40 amps for a few years, what damages am I open to?

• Funny x 1
  14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Same here, never had a problem with my original UMC at 40amps over 2+ years.

15. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

There's a new super charger going in 3 miles from my home, so any quick charges for long road trips would start there.

16. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

#16 Edmond, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Many people over the years report here that they've had one UMC after another fail. (One had his replaced 5 times) It was only when they dropped to 30A charge the UMCs began to last. Ya, I don't like it either.

I realize your experience is different so far, but that doesn't matter when you have to buy a new UMC. Is your UMC warm or cool when charging at 40?

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  17. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I live 3 miles from one supercharger, and 8 miles from another in the opposite direction. If you have a 40am UMC in your garage, I can assure you, you'll *never* use the local supercharger, even for long road trips.

You simply charge your battery to 90%, 95% or 100% (depending on other factors) during the night before you leave and when you're ready to go, just go. And say your battery is already at 90% and you want to Supercharge to 100% before a "long trip", that's not a "quick charge", that's at least 30 minutes if not longer.

Even at a lowly 40amps, you can fully charge a MS battery overnight.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  18. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

I am on my fourth UMC. I always charge at 40 amps. Most of the time I only need 1 - 1.5 hours to recharge back to 90%. A few times I've rolled back into my garage with around 30 miles remaining, so the car charged at 40 amps for somewhere between 6 and 7 hours. I don't believe (but can't prove/disprove) that problems with my previous UMCs were as a result of charging at 40 amps. No external damage (melting, disfiguration, etc) were seen on the 3 failed units. For each of the failed units, the service center told me that the contactors within the plug head were "bad". I've had my fourth UMC for about a year now with no problems.

And in response to the question noted by @Edmond: my UMC is warm when charging for several hours -- but just warm....never hot.

19. David99

David99 Active Member

Early UMCs had some issues but Tesla swapped them out. I never had trouble, but they gave me a newer one anyways. I always charged at 40 Amp and it gets really hot here in the summer. Never had issues with the UMC.

20. kort677

kort677 Active Member

quite frankly I've never fondled it. this is my second model s and my second unit, both units have been problem free.