Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I upgrade from my '21 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The trade-in value that Tesla gave me for the Model X apparently doesn't include FSD. However, if Tesla does allow FSD transfer, then I'm switching just for the new interior. If they don't then I'm holding out for the 4680 cells.

They don't. Elon said on the earnings call that they have no plans to offer transferring FSD. See below for transcript.

Could current owners get ability to transfer their FSD to their next vehicle? This would be huge for loyalty and overall increase sales of vehicles while offering more FSD sales on the used vehicles.

TESLA ANSWERS
[Elon Musk -- Founder and Chief Executive Officer] Unfortunately, we're not considering that at this time. We do actually offer an increased – higher price than for a car with FSD than one without FSD. And I do think that the market currently undervalues – or the consumer market. And arguably the stock market sales probably undervalue the just how good FSD is going to be. But we're not currently planning on offering – online to get transferred.

I considered it for a bit. The performance model would be a pretty big upgrade from my non-performance 2017. 50% more motors!

But I'd pay $10k more for features I've already got, and the whole supercharging thing. Overall, it'd be a nice thing to have, but cost me a lot more in a time when I drive less.

I guess it depends on how much you want the changes. The new ANC system is nice if it greatly reduces the cabin noise. I really like the new interiors look. The yoke is a little weird but represents the new Tesla design going into the Roadster and CyberTruck. Same with the landscape screen. I also like the new exterior changes with the more rakish hood.

With that said, that is a big price change and if you sell a recently purchased X you are going to take a bath. So you get hit with the double whammy of lower resale and higher price.

I think the ANC is one of the most attractive features. Depending on how well it's implemented.

It would be nuts, for someone with a Raven or later to upgrade even though there are a lot of nice new features.
There will be more features and upgrades to want and probably price adjustments.

They might have the price high now to get rid of existing inventory. Once that is exhausted they might drop it. I think they will eventually have to because of the competition creeping up. The current price is to just give themselves breathing room.

I like my unlimited drivetrain warranty and free supercharging :)

I'll definitely test drive one though, AFTER COVID.

Reactions: msm859
No way if you have a 2020. I have a 2016 P90D that I got in March of that year. So old processor, one camera, AP 1.0, etc and I am STILL trying to justify upgrading. I really want all of the new tech in the X, as well as tech I’ve missed out on by having a sub 1,000 VIN.

That said, the 4680s will come out in a year or so, I’d guess. And yes, as soon as you buy a Tesla, it’s outdated, but batteries are the core piece. While I only get 228 miles of max range today, I still hesitate to upgrade given battery tech as well as new design that may have some bugs.

as an aside, as I’ve said elsewhere, I don’t think they’ll end up getting approval for the yoke...

Just wanted to update everyone on my ‘21 Model X. I got hit by a driver taking an illegal turn today.
9104E425-9B30-4F25-B828-BFA6A6E63EF7.jpeg

Attachments

• 00653188-E2D0-4A8C-8813-9C6506CF0AF8.jpeg
    00653188-E2D0-4A8C-8813-9C6506CF0AF8.jpeg
    577.6 KB · Views: 80
So Tesla announced the brand new Model X with the new interior and exterior.
Those who do have the old '21 Model X, are y'all upgrading?
Do y'all think the $10,000 price increase worth it?
I was a little bit surprised with the $10k increase following
the Model S adjusted price of $69,420 to compete with the $69,990 Lucid Air.

I suspect that the Model S/X will get their price adjusted following other EVs prices updates
such as for example 2021 Porsche Taycan's New RWD Base Model Is Way Cheaper

I think the most important for any EV is the battery.
From what I read in various TMC threads the 2021 updated Model S/X still use the 18650 cells.

The cells capacity have been improved and it is possible that the whole capacity is now 90kWh?
However I am a little bit skeptical that the battery layout and cells count have been changed?

Since the Plaid+ is going (?) to have the newest 4680 fat cells, I imagine that sooner or later
the LR and Plaid might also get the same cells (?) to simplify the production line.

- Do you think that, may be one year from now, the Model S/X LR and plaid will get the 4680 cells?

Last edited:
I was a little bit surprised with the $10k increase following
the Model S adjusted price of $69,420 to compete with the $69,990 Lucid Air.

I suspect that the Model S/X will get their price adjusted following other EVs prices updates
such as for example 2021 Porsche Taycan's New RWD Base Model Is Way Cheaper

I think the most important for any EV is the battery.
From what I read in various TMC threads the 2021 updated Model S/X still use the 18650 cells.

The cells capacity have been improved and it is possible that the whole capacity is now 90kWh?
However I am a little bit skeptical that the battery layout and cells count have been changed?

Since the Plaid+ is going (?) to have the newest 4680 fat cells, I imagine that sooner or later
the LR and Plaid might also get the same cells (?) to simplify the production line.

- Do you think that, may be one year from now, the Model S/X LR and plaid will get the 4680 cells?
The 2020 LR and Performance have 101 kWh.
Undocumented – TeslaTap

Late 2020 deliveries have probably 106 kWh. My dec. have -5% degradation according to my ABRP and what is decribed by others.
With the lack of cells on the market i think we must whait longer for 4680 cells in LR and Plaid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered an X and S prior to the refresh but did not take delivery. Would I have been happy with the "older" model - yes. There is so much to like about it. They are phenomenal vehicles. However, it is worth the $8k more pre vehicle that we are paying every which way I look at it. Have transferred over to the new refresh and will not look back.

Again, those that took delivery should be happy and content with their great vehicles. Do not second guess. Life is too short - just enjoy driving (while I wait around for delivery).

it's a no brainer. of course the new model is better and anyone who ordered one earlier this year would rather have waited if they knew better. however the newer model may have plenty of issues that will certainly give the older model reason to be happy so you're good either way.

You are going to take a massive hit if you trade up now. I bet you will need to pay at least $20k-$30k to upgrade to the same trim level.

Range is not improved. Wait for 4680 cells then buy that version.
I'm so confused since our lease for our current car ends in July / August. We need a SUV and wonder what I should do in case I do not see at least 400 mile range on the X somewhere? Thoughts?

No way if you have a 2020. I have a 2016 P90D that I got in March of that year. So old processor, one camera, AP 1.0, etc and I am STILL trying to justify upgrading. I really want all of the new tech in the X, as well as tech I’ve missed out on by having a sub 1,000 VIN.

That said, the 4680s will come out in a year or so, I’d guess. And yes, as soon as you buy a Tesla, it’s outdated, but batteries are the core piece. While I only get 228 miles of max range today, I still hesitate to upgrade given battery tech as well as new design that may have some bugs.

as an aside, as I’ve said elsewhere, I don’t think they’ll end up getting approval for the yoke...
I'm in the same boat as you with my March 2016 P90DL. Before they announced the upgrade I had put in an order for the $1,500 MCU2 upgrade (which was scheduled for next week). But, after looking at all of the improvements from my soon-to-be 5-year-old AP1 Model X, I decided it was time to upgrade and get the latest version of AP with FSD, the new Raven suspension, and (hopefully) and quieter more luxurious ride.

Reactions: elguapo
I'm so confused since our lease for our current car ends in July / August. We need a SUV and wonder what I should do in case I do not see at least 400 mile range on the X somewhere? Thoughts?

I agree, I would have a really hard time justifying a $100K for 360 miles range. It has to top 400 for me. I think it will be soon. But soon could mean a year from now.

Follow the Model S Plaid+. When that nears release, then the 4680 should be pushed to the other S and X cars.

You can extend your lease up to 6 months btw, so that may cover you.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
So Tesla announced the brand new Model X with the new interior and exterior. Those who do have the old '21 Model X, are y'all upgrading? Do y'all think the $10,000 price increase worth it?
I don't think it's worth 10grand. I did change my November LR+ order to the new LR, it's worth $100 to see and decide. Otherwise i'll look at Jaguar. I think Lucid is too far in the future.

Reactions: andrewdtran

I'll definitely test drive one though, AFTER COVID.

At the local Service Center, they do contactless test drives. You call them and they set up a time, sanitize the car, and place it in a pickup area at the SC. After your drive, you drop it off and call them.

My lease is up in May, so if I go with another Tesla, I will likely have to go this way to get a test drive.

Reactions: andrewdtran