Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I upgrade from my '21 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+$5k more expensive so $15k higher than 2020, I am glad I bought the 2020.
Only $5k more if you didn’t have a reservation before the increase. Just wanted to clarify that. I am upgrading from a 2016 AP 1.0 X. There’s a 0% chance I’d upgrade from an X with AP 3.0, regardless of year. Just not enough real features. It’s largely “just” a different interior.

I don't think we know about new X batteries yet.
My point was that Tesla didn't stopped the production of the Model S/X for more than 6 months just to redesign the interior with a new 17" screen and rear passenger screen !!!

However, I think the 4680 cells will be eventually installed, at least for the Plad version, so better wait (for another year ?) to get those new cells.

It seems that the Berlin factory (and may be Austin? ) will produce the Model Y with 4680 celles:

Reactions: JimBob 909
Just speculation at this point, but I wonder if the Cybertruck tri-motors will be the first Tesla vehicle getting 4680 cells?

There will be such a demand for those cells if the Semi and the Roadster production finally start?

About the Model S/X and Model 3/Y may be only the Performance would also be getting the 4680 cells?

Just speculation at this point, but I wonder if the Cybertruck tri-motors will be the first Tesla vehicle getting 4680 cells?

There will be such a demand for those cells if the Semi and the Roadster production finally start?

About the Model S/X and Model 3/Y may be only the Performance would also be getting the 4680 cells?
I doubt it. It is looking (feeling) more like the Model Y will be first. I also doubt performance (or not) will make any difference. The 4680 cells are supposed to be part of the new “structural battery pack“ design using the one piece chassis.

Given Tesla is really in to making things simpler and consistent, it would not make any sense for the performance version to only get the newly designed chassis. Only possible exception might be cars built in Fremont vs Texas. But I still see it unlikely they would be selling the Old and the New design at the same time. Now the Performance might come out first and the non-P later. I have no idea how many Ps they sell, vs non-Ps. I was a candidate for the P, but that went away when they dropped the stealth option.

I doubt it. It is looking (feeling) more like the Model Y will be first. I also doubt performance (or not) will make any difference. The 4680 cells are supposed to be part of the new “structural battery pack“ design using the one piece chassis.

Given Tesla is really in to making things simpler and consistent, it would not make any sense for the performance version to only get the newly designed chassis. Only possible exception might be cars built in Fremont vs Texas. But I still see it unlikely they would be selling the Old and the New design at the same time. Now the Performance might come out first and the non-P later. I have no idea how many Ps they sell, vs non-Ps. I was a candidate for the P, but that went away when they dropped the stealth option.
I am under the same boat that using the same chassis for any version of a particular model make sense.

However, for the past 6 months, while the Model S was not produced, there was suspicion
that the Model S LR and Plad will keep the 18650 cells and the Plad+ would had the 4680 cells?

Do you think the Plad+ with 4680 cells will be ever build?​
If so, what would be the battery capacity, may be 120 kWh or 140kW?​
Also would then the Model S LR and Plad would also get the 4680 to use the same chassis?​
I am still puzzle why the Model S/X production line was stopped for six months?​
Do you think the Model S front and rear frame uses casting or will only the Model Y be using casting frame?​
The 2021 Model S LR and Plad seems sharing the same battery pack but is it structural or similar to the 2020 Model S 100 D?​
I am surprised that no one took a picture of the battery tag, located behing the passenger wheelhouse, to get the new reference name.​
About the Model 3 and Model Y the battery situation seems more complex.

In Fremont, would the Model Y get the 4680 cells with structural battery and front and rear casting frame​
while the the Model 3 would stay unchanged with 2170 cells and no casting frame?​
Would the 2023 (?0 Model 3 LR and P would get a new casting frame and 4680 structural batteries​
but the SR+ also the casting frame but will stay with the 2170 cells?​
Or the Model 3 SR could be discontinued because of a new Tesla Model 2 compact Hatchback?​
In China, the situation is even more complex as I believe the Model 3 and P use the 2170 cells,​
but the Model 3 SR+ uses primatic batteries.​
So would the Model Y (MIC) LR and P would use a front and rear casting with 4680 cells and structural battery?​
But the Model Y (MIC) SR would uses prismatic cells?​
In Texas and Berlin, the situation could be simpler by producing only the Model Y LR and P with casting frame and structural 4680 battery cells.​

I am under the same boat that using the same chassis for any version of a particular model make sense.

However, for the past 6 months, while the Model S was not produced, there was suspicion
that the Model S LR and Plad will keep the 18650 cells and the Plad+ would had the 4680 cells?

Do you think the Plad+ with 4680 cells will be ever build?​
If so, what would be the battery capacity, may be 120 kWh or 140kW?​
Also would then the Model S LR and Plad would also get the 4680 to use the same chassis?​
I am still puzzle why the Model S/X production line was stopped for six months?​
Do you think the Model S front and rear frame uses casting or will only the Model Y be using casting frame?​
The 2021 Model S LR and Plad seems sharing the same battery pack but is it structural or similar to the 2020 Model S 100 D?​
I am surprised that no one took a picture of the battery tag, located behing the passenger wheelhouse, to get the new reference name.​
About the Model 3 and Model Y the battery situation seems more complex.

In Fremont, would the Model Y get the 4680 cells with structural battery and front and rear casting frame​
while the the Model 3 would stay unchanged with 2170 cells and no casting frame?​
Would the 2023 (?0 Model 3 LR and P would get a new casting frame and 4680 structural batteries​
but the SR+ also the casting frame but will stay with the 2170 cells?​
Or the Model 3 SR could be discontinued because of a new Tesla Model 2 compact Hatchback?​
In China, the situation is even more complex as I believe the Model 3 and P use the 2170 cells,​
but the Model 3 SR+ uses primatic batteries.​
So would the Model Y (MIC) LR and P would use a front and rear casting with 4680 cells and structural battery?​
But the Model Y (MIC) SR would uses prismatic cells?​
In Texas and Berlin, the situation could be simpler by producing only the Model Y LR and P with casting frame and structural 4680 battery cells.​

Only Tesla knows. Anyone else's opinion (including especially mine) is pure speculation. We'll all know something in 2022.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up