TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should i upgrade from non AP 85 to 85D .. with a loss of 3.5k

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by kooljack, Apr 29, 2015.

  1. kooljack

    kooljack Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2014
    Messages:
    71
    Location:
    Bothell, WA
    After using the 85 for 5 months got a trade in offer which is $3500 less than what it costed me out of pocket after the tax credits . I did add Xpel + opti coat + tinted for $2800 .. so total diff is $6300 ... for 6300 miles i have put on it.... do i really need AP & AWD ??? come on guys do what you are good at :)
     
  2. deonb

    deonb Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,020
    Location:
    Redmond, WA

    Is that trading in to a new car?

    If so, you should absolutely take it. It's an amazing deal to just get a discount of $6300 for 6300 miles, even if it was to the exact same model. Normally you would have lost another 5% in value on top of that.
     
  3. Cyclone

    Cyclone Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2015
    Messages:
    4,397
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    First off, it sounds like a loss of $3.5k (or $6.3k really after the modifications) from buying new, after the tax rebate. That said, take a look at what it would cost you to get your car new now. Personally, if I could afford it, I would for such a "minor" loss. Beware to move quick since doesn't WA's sales-tax exemption expire on July 1st? If so, move quick!
     
  4. kooljack

    kooljack Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2014
    Messages:
    71
    Location:
    Bothell, WA
    Yes a new car and yes aware of was tax.. Have the new one on order.. Have few days to confirm.
     
  5. Cyclone

    Cyclone Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2015
    Messages:
    4,397
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    So likely for around $10k (including mods to new car), you are upgrading to S85 RWD w/ Autopilot enabled? To me, that is worth it. Personally, I have required a greater than $10k savings to convince me not to buy a pre-Autopilot car. I would hold the same requirement for a trade-up.
     
  6. CUBldr97

    CUBldr97 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2015
    Messages:
    58
    Location:
    MD
    Tesla is offering to buy the car back, and the difference is about $6k.... Pretty good deal, when, if this was any other car there would be about 20-30 % depreciation driving off the lot. So you get all wheel drive, auto pilot, ne battery, new car, new warranty , another tax credit etc....

    seems like a simple and easy answer of yes, do it.
     
  7. kooljack

    kooljack Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2014
    Messages:
    71
    Location:
    Bothell, WA
    There is a 20% depreciation on the original cost, but I got it as an inventory with just 120 miles for 10% + 7% (7500) tax credit.. So actual loss to me on the car is 6k.. For the new one i will be paying 102k - 7500.. So yes extra $ to get a new one
     
  8. kooljack

    kooljack Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2014
    Messages:
    71
    Location:
    Bothell, WA
    I will be paying 18k (including tax credit) more for the new car (85D) with a loss of 6k on the old one
     
  9. MsElectric

    MsElectric Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2014
    Messages:
    1,611
    Location:
    New York
    Wow that is practically nothing. I'd jump on that Tesla offer before they lower the offer. I have a feeling they are going to have a really hard time selling RWD S85 models with the 70D and the P85 both being available with AWD.

    Tesla most likely will not get back what they offered you.
     
  10. Cyclone

    Cyclone Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2015
    Messages:
    4,397
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    At 18k, I would have to consider my personal finances. To me, at $10k, I'd stretch it regardless. At $18k, you have to decide if its worth it to you. You are getting a great deal on selling your car back for only a $6k loss, but you have to consider your total costs with switching out the car. I will say that you can't go wrong either way!
     
  11. stevej119

    stevej119 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2014
    Messages:
    219
    Location:
    Northern California
    Consider also that the 85D now has almost the quickness as the P85. Amazing what they do with free OTA software upgrades.
     
  12. Cyclone

    Cyclone Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2015
    Messages:
    4,397
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, I didn't notice the "D". So it's $13k to get the "same" car, $18k to add AWD. In that case, $13k would be close enough to my $10k differential that I would proceed. From there, its simply a $5k for Single vs. Dual Motor discussion. :)
     
  13. CHG-ON

    CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2014
    Messages:
    2,766
    Location:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, USA
    From my POV, how could you say no? The AP is awesome and you'll AWD and a car that has many more bugs worked out than your last. I'd do it before they figure what a good deal it is!
     
  14. kooljack

    kooljack Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2014
    Messages:
    71
    Location:
    Bothell, WA
    for that 13k i am also getting Air and next gen and few led lights losing 19 cyclones
     
  15. Cyclone

    Cyclone Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2015
    Messages:
    4,397
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    Quite the upgrade! You could always swap your cyclones with a friend with the 19" standard, turn in your trade, then give them new standard 19s as payment and get back your cyclones. ;)
     
  16. kooljack

    kooljack Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2014
    Messages:
    71
    Location:
    Bothell, WA
    Well the trade in value includes the cyclones .. i would do it if they allow me to :)
     
  17. Footer

    Footer Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2014
    Messages:
    207
    Location:
    Milwaukee
    I would do it in a heartbeat. Did you just walk into your local Service Center and ask to upgrade?
     

Share This Page