Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I upgrade my RWD M3 from hardware 2.5 to 3.0 now or wait for a possibly better CPU release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased 2018 (Aug build) RWD long range model 3 + EAP ($5k enhanced autopilot) and later discounted FSD ($2k).

I finally got an email about being able to set an appointment to upgrade to hardware 3.0 although this has happened in the past and it's been later canceled saying they don't have the parts in stock (Orlando SC).

Basically wondering if I should wait for a future release of the hardware, HW 3.5?. The main advantage of upgrading now would include the stop sign and stop light improvements. I just don't want to upgrade now and then find out sometime next year they're a better version of the computer if I waited.

I got mine done this last Monday in the Orlando SC and I dropped it off around 8:40 he had an X working on and 3 more car arrived after me he was on a mobile working outside just right of the entry I made my scheduled about 3 weeks ago I could have done it earlier but it worked out cause it took 2 weeks just to get the parts in for my Vin. He did finish mine by the end of the day around 5pm

What would you possibly get by waiting? You paid for HW3 with the FSD upgrade.

One of two things will happen when a next revision is released:
  • Existing FSD folks will get a free upgrade
  • Existing FSD folks will either need to buy a new car, or pay for an extra upgrade
There's no scenario here where you gain anything by 'waiting' with HW2.5. Just go do the upgrade.

Its my understanding that once you purchase FSD and they make improvements or features with 3.5 etc that we all will get the upgrade. its the least tesla can do for all the FSD customers are betting that level 5 is achievable. They have already set a precedent by upgrading to 3.0 if you buy FSD. im betting the later upgrades will just be more cost affective rather than doing things that 3.0 can already do. just thinking outloud.

Its my understanding that once you purchase FSD and they make improvements or features with 3.5 etc that we all will get the upgrade. its the least tesla can do for all the FSD customers are betting that level 5 is achievable. They have already set a precedent by upgrading to 3.0 if you buy FSD. im betting the later upgrades will just be more cost affective rather than doing things that 3.0 can already do. just thinking outloud.

That totally depends on WHEN you purchased FSD. If you purchased in the past when they were basically promising level 5, then yes. If you purchased anytime after they changed the definition of FSD to what it is NOW, then no.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
My understanding is anyone that purchased FSD should get all future software and hardware updates for free and we know they are currently working on 4.0. No guarantee Tesla won't charge for hardware after 3.0 but I am sure there will be a lot of unhappy FSD customers if they charge anything for it since we took a risk by prepaying for features that were not implemented yet in the expectation we would benefit from all future advancements on FSD.

That is one heck of a theory and since I have had both cars for several years, your theory would be kind to me. Too bad it is just theory.

The people who bought "back then" would have a leg to stand on to keep fighting for upgrades. Whether tesla would do it or not, I dont know, but most of those people would be able to fight for it, if they still have the car(s) when the next hardware comes out.

Who DOESNT have a "leg to stand on" is anyone who bought when the description of FSD changed to become what it is now, and has been since they got rid of "EAP". Those people are almost assuredly not getting anything (for free) beyond HW3. Maybe they will be able to purchase whatever the new HW is, but they wont get it free (post about april 2019).

My understanding is anyone that purchased FSD should get all future software and hardware updates for free and we know they are currently working on 4.0. No guarantee Tesla won't charge for hardware after 3.0 but I am sure there will be a lot of unhappy FSD customers if they charge anything for it since we took a risk by prepaying for features that were not implemented yet in the expectation we would benefit from all future advancements on FSD.

Not sure where you got that understanding from... unless you fall into the category of someone who bought FSD pre the description change in april of 2019. If you purchased when your join date is (august 2019) there is virtually zero chance you will get any new hardware past HW3 "included" since tesla changed the description of FSD and this hardware meets the description of features in the version of "FSD" that was on sale then.

Reactions: C141medic
That is one heck of a theory and since I have had both cars for several years, your theory would be kind to me. Too bad it is just theory.

Not really a theory... back during the HW2->2.5 change Tesla explicitly said they still expect to be able to deliver FSD (Which at the time was at least L4 (though not 5 technically)) on HW2.0 cars, but if it turned out they need to upgrade the HW to do it, they would do so for free.

So they're already on record as promising the earlier FSD buyers whatever HW is needed to deliver the promised L4.

Folks post-March-2019 FSD are in a different boat than the folks who bought before that though- they were only promised a specific list of features- and at no more than L2- during the purchase, and are likely to get it by end of year with no further upgrades implied to HW.