Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Upgrade to LTE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been getting a TON of Slacker errors and slow load times on my Radio. I was thinking of upgrading to LTE from 3G, but from some of the posts I see, it looks like 3G may actually be faster. Has anyone who has upgraded found the LTE experience to be a lot better than the old 3G experience?

Been getting a TON of Slacker errors and slow load times on my Radio. I was thinking of upgrading to LTE from 3G, but from some of the posts I see, it looks like 3G may actually be faster. Has anyone who has upgraded found the LTE experience to be a lot better than the old 3G experience?

I upgraded earlier this year, but that was mostly to get better reception in marginal coverage areas on my daily commute. Subjectively, that did seem to help matters slightly. Tracks might be a little faster loading, but I wouldn't say it was a life-altering change. BTW I've also noticed an uptick in Slacker-related issues the past few months even with LTE.

Bruce.

I upgraded. And I think those issues are firmware related. The infotainment system and BT has been acting up since last time I accepted FW upgrade and the last forced FW from the service center.

Hi Barry!

Yeah, wait until they fix the Slacker/BT issues.

But once fixed, yes, go for the upgrade. It made a huge difference for me in two different cars when I did the upgrade. Songs load a little faster, but the biggest noticeable difference was that Nav map tiles load really fast compared to 3G.

The browser still sucks and you won't see any improvement there. But who uses the browser anyway? :)

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and bareyb
I dropped the car w/o LTE off tonight, for other reasons, and they suggested the upgrade (LTE $500). When home, I tried the one with and its browser is still no good on news pages, like WSJ. Bad lag, "unavailable" messages and unable to sign-in. Won't be doing it, after all.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I dropped the car w/o LTE off tonight, for other reasons, and they suggested the upgrade (LTE $500). When home, I tried the one with and its browser is still no good on news pages, like WSJ. Bad lag, "unavailable" messages and unable to sign-in. Won't be doing it, after all.

Please don't decide on LTE based only on the browser! THE BROWSER IS HORRIBLE ALL BY ITSELF! It doesn't matter if you're on 3G or LTE, the browser will fail on most current websites. It kinda worked in 2012 when the Model S first was launched...but now, it's like driving around in a horse and buggy.

Also, there are currently LTE throttling issues on the network/server side making LTE cars significantly slower/laggy. Wait until this is fixed, and then you will likely see significant improvements with LTE over 3G.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Our "classic" S P85 (VIN 3xxx) has 3G and our new S 100D (since March) has LTE.

Don't really see much difference in performance between the two.

Perhaps there'll be a difference with new software updates - but at least as of now, doesn't look like upgrading our P85 to LTE would have much benefit...

• Helpful
Reactions: David99