Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait for 2021-2022 Model Y upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot of variables for range. So some questions I have:
- How fast were you driving? Going 85 vs 65 makes a BIG difference. But a lot of Tesla drivers have "led feet" ;) and see much shorter than expected range.
- The hilly terrain - was it mostly uphill, or downhill, or did you end up at roughly the same altitude as before. You'll lose a lot going uphill, but regen braking should give some of it back.

But one thing is sure... it is very difficult to reach Tesla's claimed range numbers without going 50mph without A/C. The practical max range for most seems to be 70-80% of the claimed Tesla EPA range. But it depends on how you drive, and weather/wind can also reduce it further.

But that is all from my online reading, I'm still waiting for my car to be delivered.

I was driving closer to 80 mph, and it was mostly uphill when I lost 60% driving 77 miles. It was just so shocking for me. That's when I went back and checked the trip details from last month when I drove the same route with the Avalon. Was quite shocked to see I drove the same terrain in the Avalon covering around 400 miles on tank of gas with some left to spare at the end of the trip!

Just placed my MYSR today, talked to my SA (Plano, TX Tesla location) about the re-design MY and he said
- Gigafactory Austin will be very behind, so he does not anticipate 4680 cells to be in MY till 2023 just because of production issues (high demand + inconsistent supply)
- For those in TX (like me), we will not get Gigafactory Austin products as Texas bans manufacturers from selling directly to consumer (must go via a dealership) meaning Texas new buyers will receive Fremont 2170 MY's (more details on that sale ban here, up for a change in 2023)
Correct but not. If you get one from Fremont it is still coming direct from the manufacturer. You have to take ownership in another state and then register in Texas. It doesn’t matter where the manufacturer is. This would be easy to do with cars from Giga Texas. Just truck them across the state line to a delivery center where they can then be sold and brought back to Texas. Lot shorter shipping than all the way from Fremont.

Since I ordered in early September after making sure that estimated delivery would be in 2022, my EDD have gone from not having one forever to Jan, Dec then June (few weeks ago) then got a VIN and delivery in next 1-2 weeks.

As I see it, it’s a win-win situation at this point.
1) get my model y two months earlier then expected with 2022 VIN
2) edd gets pushed to early 2022 and get ev credit as I’ve planned
3) something unexpected happens and my edd really becomes June, but receive newly updated model y with new battery

Since I ordered in early September after making sure that estimated delivery would be in 2022, my EDD have gone from not having one forever to Jan, Dec then June (few weeks ago) then got a VIN and delivery in next 1-2 weeks.

As I see it, it’s a win-win situation at this point.
1) get my model y two months earlier then expected with 2022 VIN
2) edd gets pushed to early 2022 and get ev credit as I’ve planned
3) something unexpected happens and my edd really becomes June, but receive newly updated model y with new battery
This is the most positive outlook on the current MY dilemma all of us are facing that have placed orders lol. Well said

Reactions: 987Caymans