Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait for 2021-2022 Model Y upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would make more sense IMO to shift all MY production to Texas.

So you'd have:
Texas: Y + Cybertruck
Fremont: S, X, 3
I am very curious to see what the lead times for the Model Y and Model 3 become once Texas is online. With the added capacity in Texas, it should relieve some of the Model 3 backlog in Fremont as well. Since the Model Y in Fremont shares 75% of parts with the Model 3 you would think they could "easily" shift to more Model 3 manufacturing in Fremont and push more of the Model Y manufacturing to Texas.

Please don’t spread misinformation! Nobody here has any clue about any Model Y changes. It’s all speculation and guesses. And it’s NOT helpful to pass those off as facts, especially to someone who’s looking to buy a vehicle.

The only thing we know for sure is what the currently shipping Model Y has. That’s it. Even if you order one today for delivery in, say, October… it could be different.

You're not placing an order on a new Y today and getting it anytime soon unless you pay more $$ for it used.

Tesla claims a 54% increase in range combined with front/rear castings/structural pack. That will easily enable a 400+ mile range in the 4680 Y. From Battery Day last year.

Joe Tegtmeyer is at Giga Texas basically every day. He gets info from people actually working there.

While not "confirmed", it's all on par with Giga Texas timeline ;)

That is total speculation at this point.

It's right on track with the production timeline. We are already in August. The redesigned Y's are coming

Reactions: BMWY
You're not placing an order on a new Y today and getting it anytime soon unless you pay more $$ for it used.
Tesla claims a 54% increase in range combined with front/rear castings/structural pack. That will easily enable a 400+ mile range in the 4680 Y. From Battery Day last year.
Joe Tegtmeyer is at Giga Texas basically every day. He gets info from people actually working there.
While not "confirmed", it's all on par with Giga Texas timeline ;)

It's right on track with the production timeline. We are already in August. The redesigned Y's are coming
Still all speculation until announced, in production and first deliveries occur.

I'm not saying nothing is happening, but counting on any of it is a fool's errand.

Still all speculation until announced, in production and first deliveries occur.

I'm not saying nothing is happening, but counting on any of it is a fool's errand.

I'm still doubtful that Tesla would give the "revised" Model Y more range right out of the gate than the higher priced X (or S). But definitely exciting times with the upcoming improvements.

If the battery pack is structural, introducing a smaller pack to keep range at 326 miles would affect the structural engineering of the car. Switching to a larger pack as Fremont gets upgraded seems like a lot more money to re-engineer for different ranges. Until someone can visually confirm that the test cars are being produced with 4680 cells and orders are updated with increased range, etc., this is all speculation.

Reactions: SpaceShipDrvr

False. I just ordered an MYP and already have an EDD at end of month.

Please cite your source for redesigned Y’s coming anytime soon.

If you keep chasing the latest tech, features and upgrades, you might as well not ever pull the trigger... It'll be a neverending waiting game for the next greatest thing. I ordered my MYP last month and am taking delivery this Saturday and could care less about what's to come. I know I'll like what I'm getting and that's good enough for me.
That is the attitude I took. Tesla is ALWAYS improving their vehicles. The Y is great now and nobody honestly knows when the structural pack, 4680's, and front casting will start delivering. Additionally, if Fremont is still manufacturing using the current methods, there will be 2 different Y's. Customers will have no say regarding where their car will be made, unless there is a price difference at the order level. Most likely, those of us on the west coast will receive Fremont made Y's until the factory shuts down production for retooling. I don't foresee that happening until Austin is at full production and can handle all model Y orders. That has to be at lease a year out.

If there is some "must have" improvement that I can't live without, I'll just sell whatever I have and order the new model. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my Y slated for delivery next month.

Reactions: johnc925 and DMateo
That is the attitude I took. Tesla is ALWAYS improving their vehicles. The Y is great now and nobody honestly knows when the structural pack, 4680's, and front casting will start delivering. Additionally, if Fremont is still manufacturing using the current methods, there will be 2 different Y's. Customers will have no say regarding where their car will be made, unless there is a price difference at the order level. Most likely, those of us on the west coast will receive Fremont made Y's until the factory shuts down production for retooling. I don't foresee that happening until Austin is at full production and can handle all model Y orders. That has to be at lease a year out.

If there is some "must have" improvement that I can't live without, I'll just sell whatever I have and order the new model. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my Y slated for delivery next month.
I'm in it for the long haul with mine. Full PPF and ceramic coating, inside and out.

A Tesla sales associate told me that the 4680's were destined for the Cybertruck first, and then the Semi's, and it would be some time before they found their way into the Y. Maybe just informed speculation, but just wanted to pass that along.
They aren't very good at speculating then seeing as Elon has clarified that Y is taking precedent over Cybertruck production starting in Austin and that the Y's will come off the line with 4680 from the start of production.

They aren't very good at speculating then seeing as Elon has clarified that Y is taking precedent over Cybertruck production starting in Austin and that the Y's will come off the line with 4680 from the start of production.
Elon also made sure to mention a contingency of using 2170 batteries in the structural packs out of Austin, in the event the 4680's were not ready for prime time. Why do you think he did that?