Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Wait for Battery Day to Buy a M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be VERY surprised if Tesla has been able to roll Maxwell technology into batteries being produced today. That means battery and drivetrain day will discuss future battery tech....real, but future. Probably announced for Cybertruck, roadster 2.0, and Semi. It will likely be positioned to NOT be coming to M3,MS, MY, MX.....until it does. Starting with MS/MX first because of their lower volume. One day they will just show up in the line. Zero forecasting. This approach is all but necessary to avoid Osborne effect. Tesla did this with current battery tech....appeared in the M3 and STILL isn't available with MS/MX.

Reactions: house9
Yes and no.

The P3D (And to certain extent even the 3D), suffers from a serious case of voltage sag at WOT which over time can harm the battery. A 100kWh pack would help this condition greatly.

What? Any evidence at all to this so-called 'problem' ?

Also, hasn't Elon already stated the M3 won't get a 100kWh battery? He stated this originally back when it was released, but I thought he reiterated that again after the 'leaked' 100kWh pack.

Teslas are like laptops used to be. You buy one when you need one. If you are going to wait for better and less expensive before you buy, you'll be waiting forever because they seem to always be getting better and less expensive.
Cmon. When have cars ever not been like this? Tesla is a car, not a laptop or a phone. It’s a major expenditure, and since the Model T, they’ve gotten better and cheaper (value for money) every year. That causes far more decision crisis than a laptop.

• Disagree
Reactions: ACarneiro
Cmon. When have cars ever not been like this? Tesla is a car, not a laptop or a phone. It’s a major expenditure, and since the Model T, they’ve gotten better and cheaper (value for money) every year. That causes far more decision crisis than a laptop.

Unlike most car manufacturers though, Tesla doesn't have a cadence to their releases. You can always wait for the next model year on a regular car mfg and expect some changes. Tesla might change something between 1 week and the next. There's no equation of 'new model year = new features'.

That's how it's like a laptop.

Tesla has announced they are building a prototype battery machine in Fremont. This, if successful, will allow them to produce their own batteries. Would take some time to get it up and running and producing acceptable cells.

If it performs better than their other lines, it most likely will be upsized to produce millions of cells. All this takes some time.

Tesla is all in on making better and less expensive batteries. Imagine newer battery technology will be rolling out when available, for at least the next decade.

Will probably be impossible for customers to time their purchases to be assured they get the next iteration.

Sometimes owners get a bonus. Tesla studies their fleet battery performance, and can sometimes tweek algorithms to give everybody extra range, faster charging, or better durability. Comes via OTA updates.

Only time you can order a Tesla is NOW. Waiting for better is offset by driving good now.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I heard that Tesla's Battery Day is in April 2020, where they are set to unveil next gen battery technology that has a million mile life. Does anyone know if what they're introducing in April will roll out immediately? In other words, should I wait to buy a Model 3? I would hate to buy a Model 3 right now just to miss out on a version with a better, longer range battery.

IMHO...very few people ever regret their Tesla purchase.

Get it now - you won't regret it.

LOL - I wonder if there are people out there still holding out for the Model 3 air suspension. Boy....I feel so sorry for them as they have missed out on a TON of fun.

What? Any evidence at all to this so-called 'problem' ?

Also, hasn't Elon already stated the M3 won't get a 100kWh battery? He stated this originally back when it was released, but I thought he reiterated that again after the 'leaked' 100kWh pack.
Dyno sheets and RW performance numbers at different SOC’s are proof enough of this. Tesla does a fairly decent job of shielding the pack from that kind of damage by lowering draw at ~75%, 45% and 20% average SOC’s however the issue is still there and very real.

And yes: one can cite that P85/90/100D cars needed battery prep and a high SOC to achieve their own rated numbers as well but just like with ICE: there’s no replacement for displacement. In this instance this means more kWh = better safety margin.

Dyno sheets and RW performance numbers at different SOC’s are proof enough of this. Tesla does a fairly decent job of shielding the pack from that kind of damage by lowering draw at ~75%, 45% and 20% average SOC’s however the issue is still there and very real.

And yes: one can cite that P85/90/100D cars needed battery prep and a high SOC to achieve their own rated numbers as well but just like with ICE: there’s no replacement for displacement. In this instance this means more kWh = better safety margin.

How does the car outputting less power when at a lower SoC mean it's damaging the battery? You aren't proving anything with that. The fact that power is decreasing as SoC decreases just means Tesla is doing their job of NOT damaging the battery...

Also, a major factor here is that the battery voltage straight up decreases as you get to a lower SoC... lower voltage = lower max power output. Assuming the motor itself is near its max current capability already, the only thing a larger battery gets you is a longer number of miles that you get the same power output.

How does the car outputting less power when at a lower SoC mean it's damaging the battery? You aren't proving anything with that. The fact that power is decreasing as SoC decreases just means Tesla is doing their job of NOT damaging the battery...

Also, a major factor here is that the battery voltage straight up decreases as you get to a lower SoC... lower voltage = lower max power output. Assuming the motor itself is near its max current capability already, the only thing a larger battery gets you is a longer number of miles that you get the same power output.
Isn’t that the point though? You kill two birds with one stone with a bigger battery regarding range in adverse conditions and consistent power output.

I heard that Tesla's Battery Day is in April 2020, where they are set to unveil next gen battery technology that has a million mile life. Does anyone know if what they're introducing in April will roll out immediately? In other words, should I wait to buy a Model 3? I would hate to buy a Model 3 right now just to miss out on a version with a better, longer range battery.
No

Isn’t that the point though? You kill two birds with one stone with a bigger battery regarding range in adverse conditions and consistent power output.

Your were stating that the P3D and 3D were damaging the battery due to them being undersized. Obviously if you use a larger battery you'll get more consistent power output... but for the vast majority of people, having the car accelerate slower when not at 90%+ SoC is totally fine.

Your were stating that the P3D and 3D were damaging the battery due to them being undersized. Obviously if you use a larger battery you'll get more consistent power output... but for the vast majority of people, having the car accelerate slower when not at 90%+ SoC is totally fine.
You’re right. Most people won’t know and likely won’t care that they’re shocking the battery with heavy draw even with the safeguards Tesla has put in place.

You’re right. Most people won’t know and likely won’t care that they’re shocking the battery with heavy draw even with the safeguards Tesla has put in place.

Again, please, evidence that this will damage the battery?

Obviously the lower the current draw (and the lower the charging rate) will be nicer to the battery, but the amount of power these things deliver isn't that high. From what I've seen, even on the Performance, you're at around a 5C discharge max, which is totally fine.

If you're planning on getting FSD, you should think about buying now. Every time Elon rolls out a big FSD enhancement, the price goes up.

New batteries aren't happening yet, and when they do, they'll be going into the Model S/X update. M3 won't be getting an update any time soon, since it's just a couple of years old.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC